1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is there supposed to be Reset/Restart in Power Down menu?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CircleFly, Mar 28, 2017.

1. CircleFly

CircleFly Lurker

Hello,
    I have a Motorola Moto Z Force and I noticed Restart or Reset is missing from the Power Down menu.
    Is there not supposed to be one or did I disable something by accident?

I can still do the Force Restart method (hold down power button for 10 or 20 so seconds), but my last Android phone (Galaxy S4) had a reset option.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by doogald, Mar 28, 2017 (1 points)
  3. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

No. Standard Android through 7.0 is not to have a reset in the shutdown menu. For some reason, Samsung has always had one, but Samsung heavily customizes Android for their phones. Nougat 7.1 did add a restart command to the shut down menu for Nexus and Pixel devices, so it's probably coming to this phone if/when it gets Android version O.

BTW, it is far, far, far, far better to just do a normal shutdown and then restart the phone rather than long-press power to simulate a battery pull. While Android is very different from a desktop computer, I think that this analogy remains true: would you regularly unplug and re-plug your desktop computer while it was running just to restart it? For the benefit of the apps and data on your phone, take the few extra seconds to do a proper shut down of your phone and then restart it when the shutdown completes. Long-pressing power means that you may be cutting power to the phone just as an app in the background is trying to write some data to storage, risking either data corruption or loss of data.

CircleFly and kmf like this.
  4. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast

I agree with doogald. Turn the phone off, and if you have time, wait a few minutes before turning it back on. I do this most every day.

CircleFly and doogald like this.
  5. CircleFly

CircleFly Lurker

Thank you for the responses. I apologize for not responding earlier. I thought it was a glitch at first because for some reason never really noticed it until the day I posted.

Thank you for the explanation of why not to force-restart. I'm not sure why I mentioned "force restart" as an "alternative", but I generally shut down and turn on the phone again.

doogald likes this.

Motorola Moto Z Forum

The Motorola Moto Z release date was September 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.5" screen, 13MP camera, Snapdragon 820 processor, 2600mAh battery, and 4GB storage.

September 2016
Release Date
Reviews
Specs