• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there video out for Incredible 2?

nuke21

May 14, 2011
Does the Incredible 2 have a video out function like the original Incredible does? I have the Incredible and the TV out cable for it and love that I can plug it into the RCA in my TV. I am just curious if I can do the same thing with the Incredible 2 because if it does I will go buy one tomorrow. I looked all over Google and can't find the answer so I came here.

I was able to do TV out on my HTC Touch Pro 2 through the USB with a cable that went from the mini USB to composite (RCA) connections that worked just like that video shows (I picked the cable up cheaply on eBay for under $10). It didn't just put videos on the phone through, but rather a complete mirrored image of anything being done on the screen. It was pretty sweet, especially for game emulators and for impromptu videos/picture slide shows at the homes of friends and relatives. I can't speak for certain since I don't have the Incredible 2 (yet...it's on my radar), but maybe HTC has enabled the same functionality?

This thread talks about it on the original Incredible with a link to purchase the required cable: Incredible TV Out - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Since it outputs over composite, it won't be HD, but it was still nice to have. One would think the feature would carry over to the Incredible 2. I used this quite often on my Touch Pro 2, so this is definitely something that might make me purchase an Incredible 2 if it works.

Upvote 0
What they are talking about is a tv-out cable like the original Incredible had, which was a modified micro usb plug to composite RCA conectors, not an hdmi to mini hdmi. There are pictures of the cable here Wireless Xcessories Group | Item 73H0034800M#.

Here's a link to the page on htcpedia's website HTC Droid Incredible TV-Out Cable. It is the same model number as the one mentioned by alice above. I have this same cable and it works great on my original Incredible (picture is fuzzy as it's composite and not HD). But it states quite clearly at the bottom that it is only for use on the original Incredible.

Alice was not wrong in that the site she posted states compatability for the Inc2. The problem is CellularAccessory has a bad habit of not fact checking their site. The usb end is not a standard micro usb (has 2 protrusions at the corners) so it will not fit the micro usb on the Inc2.

It does have a standard micro usb on the side of the connector so you can charge the phone while using the tv out feature. I'm not sure if plugging a micro usb to micro usb cable between that and the phone would work, but I highly doubt it.

I wish it would as I already have that cable and don't have any DLNA equipped devices.

UPDATE: Here is a pic of the modified micro usb on my tv out cable for the original Incredible.

Attachments

• IMAG0154a.jpg
    IMAG0154a.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info vzwuser76 and also for taking the time to take the picture for me. On the website Alice gave, it stated that that cable was only for video, and you have to buy a cable below for the audio. Yet if it was RCA, then that means only one of those prongs would have actually worked for the audio?

On your cable for the original droid, that plug into the USB was for audio AND video right? You didn't have to get another cable to plug in to your headphone jack?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info vzwuser76 and also for taking the time to take the picture for me. On the website Alice gave, it stated that that cable was only for video, and you have to buy a cable below for the audio. Yet if it was RCA, then that means only one of those prongs would have actually worked for the audio?

On your cable for the original droid, that plug into the USB was for audio AND video right? You didn't have to get another cable to plug in to your headphone jack?

You are correct. The one I have for the Inc1 is a modified micro-usb to 3 RCA connectors (left & right audio + video).

I've seen setups like what you are talking about in the past (maybe an ipod) where the connector only outputted video and you had to use a cable with a headphone style connector (3.5mm) to output the audio. The all in ones are much easier to deal with for placement as all connections come from a single point (where with this type of setup you have the video out on the side and the audio coming from the top of the phone).

Plus, since nothing has been mentioned for tv-out on the Inc2 other than DLNA, I'd be a little leary forking over cash without knowing if it works or what it will do to the phone itself.

I remember having a minidisc (yes minidisc) player burn up using a 12 volt RF transmitter. I plugged the 3.5mm cable into the headphone jack, smelled something burning, & watched as the lcd display turned black. Luckily the RF transmitter was recommended to me by the Best Buy guy who sold me the player, so they replaced it without question.

THe problem here is you have no physical store to go into to complain to. That makes it possible that in the event of incompatability or damage, they might do nothing. And I'd bet that HTC/Verizon will say you used an accessory that hasn't been approved for use on the device. To big a risk for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones