1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Is this a correct tutrial on temp rooting 2.3 evo shift

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by barberboy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. barberboy

barberboy Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth

Advertisement

2. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    barberboy likes this.
  3. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
    Thanks im glad I posted the reply in this forum. I saw the thread you posted in your reply before, only trouble is I dont understand all the terminology incorporated with how to root my shift. I'm looking for a you tube video or a tutorial for simple ppl like myself:)

4. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    Well you do need a little knowledge of adb and using linux type cmds. This thread was written for the old root method but it still gives you the basics of adb and sdk Beginner's Guide to Installing the SDK and ADB - Android Forums. If you get that set up and read through the temp root thread (I know it's a lot of pages) you should be able to figure it out. Once you setup adb and get the files in the right folder it's really just copying and pasting commands. I wish I could write a tutorial for noobs but without actually doing the process myself it's a little difficult to do.

barberboy likes this.
  5. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
    Hey man I just apreciate u taking the time out just to point me in the rite direction, big ups for that! I really enjoy every little aspect of pc's n stuff that goes ding n have blinking lights lol I should've took the time out to learn all of this from the inside out years ago smh but Im slowly learning and with help from forums like this I think Ill be nice one day maybe even find an exploit to root a phone one day (wishful thinking):cool:

6. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
    currently reading the link........................................

7. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
    I hope I'm not out of line for asking. I'm reading the temp root guide for evo shift(2.3) on the xda site and a couple of things got me kinda stuck: It says I have to have adndroid sdk installed on my pc. Thats what I downloaded from the link in your first reply here correct? Ok, My ADB folder? Is that in the SDK I downloaded? Also the ADB directory would be in this folder as well? Lastly,I'm guessing this list of commands I enter when I'm in the adb shell, and after each line do I press enter and continue with the next untill the process is complete? Of course with my phone connected usb.

8. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    You aren't out of line. What you need to do to get your phone connected is to install the sdk as per the instructions... The ADB or android debugging bridge is what connects your phone to the pc. You do type the commands into a command prompt and type enter after each one. It has been a long while since I used the adb, and I am a rookie when I use it. I think Crump will chime in here and straighten us both out.. lol

I found this link (it's what I used long ago) to installing the sdk properly and getting all the folders in the right spots.... Hope it helps

Beginner's Guide to Installing the SDK and Getting Started with ADB - xda-developers

barberboy likes this.
  9. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
    All this info is a little bit overwhelming but I think Im getting it! Question, is the ADB folder the actual Android SDK I downloaded and installed? If so where is the ADB directory?

10. 330D

None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    The adb folder is within the android sdk. Go to that folder (it should be named android-sdk-windows) and open it, you will see a folder called tools, and within that is the adb.

crump likes this.
  11. 330D

None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    But, to be sure you don't need to "run it" it will be used when you get into the adb shell through your cmd prompt....

crump likes this.
  12. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
  13. 330D

None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    It means you aren't rooted. Keep trying. This phone has been a pita to root from the beginning for some folks. I have helped a few and it was a lengthy process. Be tenacious and you can get it.

I really hope the devs come up with a good, simple permanent root solution for it soon.

14. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    Your getting permissions denied because you don't have root access yet. That's was written for the previous froyo root method (and it assumes you have temp root through visionary) but it's a good start for getting familiar with adb. You need to push the temp root through the new method before you'll gain super user access. I'm definitely still somewhat of a noob when it comes to all the in and outs of adb. If you get stuck somewhere in the temp rooting I would suggest posting in the original thread where people have successfully temp rooted using that method. Unless we have a linux guru here that would like to chime in.. :D

330D likes this.
  15. 330D

None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    Shoot, I thought he was using the newer 2.3 temproot method...

*inserts foot in mouth*

16. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    Ok try this. If you followed the guide to installing sdk and got that setup, that's half the battle. Now go to the temp root thread and download fre3vo. Place the file inside the platform-tools folder in the sdk folder in your C drive.

open windows command prompt

1. cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
    2. adb

Now you should be inside your folder and begin pushing the files. I just tried this and was able to push fre3vo using the first cmd in the temp root thread. Then it should just be a matter of copying and pasting.

But I still think your best bet is to ask questions in the original thread... Since there's people that have succe3ssfully done this.

17. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    Just the way he typed it, it looked like he just followed the Beginners Guide and didn't move on to new temp root.

18. 330D

None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    I'm going to leave this here for a day or 2, then move it to the rooting guide so as to help some other folks who may be confuzzled.

Post back with your experience barberboy, whether you can get it rooted or not...

crump likes this.
  19. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
    Nada! I been trying but still permission denied.......smh as I go grab a bud lime :-/

20. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
    HEY GUYS IT WORKED!!!!!! I followed the instructions crump gave n his last post and it Frickin worked!!! I feel so enlightened I wanna learm more, More, MOOOOOORE!!!! (in my pinky ant the brain voice) All you guys are so much help man I love this forum Im down4life!

21. 330D

None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    Crump is an asset here. He has helped me numerous times.

I'm glad you got yourself temp-rooted, and thanks for updating the thread as well.;)

22. barberboy

None

Jul 10, 2011
    earth
    yeeeeeeeeeah crump's the "ish" lol as well as you to bro. You got me started in the rite direction Big Ups!:cool: Now Ill just wait for the revolutionary site to add the shift to there list and then im going to S off and NEVER update my device again unless the pros in these forums green light it.

23. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    Haha.. Glad you got temp root. Hopefully it won't be too long before perma root is available and you can start hacking away.

24. Jaisonthe13th

Jaisonthe13th Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Don't make replies and statements to things you didn't know. crump, or what ever you are, did you ever did the tutorial by yourself? how could you know by just looking at that link that it is wrong.
    For your information, I have done the steps and I have rooted my EVO Shift without any issues.
    Next time when you comment on something, be sure that you have some practical knowledge on that issue.

25. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    Lol.. you sure did take my post personal. If I was wrong in my statement then I apologize, but you won't convince me that you used that method to root your Shift if it was running Gingerbread... which the original poster is. If it rooted froyo, more power to you. I pointed the original poster in a different direction because it is a known Gingerbread temp root method and comes from a more than credible website. BTW, glad you decided to post in the forum.. even it was just to flame me :rolleyes:

330D likes this.