• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this a good tablet?

Depends on what your looking for in a tablet...

I think the other folks keep referencing the iPad2 because its sort of gold standard when it comes to performance & size. (NOT FUNCTIONALITY)

So like the iPad2, the SGT10.1 is VERY slim and powerful. Unlike the iPad2, the Android OS allows you to do all sorts of things that only a hacked iPad could do....and then some.

It's the thinnest 10.1" Android Tablet on the market, and has one of the best displays.

On the downside...

It only has 1 propriatary port. So if you want to hook up a USB Keyboard / Mouse / Gamepad....you'll need the adapter. If you want to hook it up to your TV via HDMI....you'll need the adapter (Samsung Port to USB & USB to HDMI)

Apple has it out for Samsung and has been able to get SGT10.1"s banned in Germany, Australia, and parts of Europe. This means you have less SGT10.1" tabs in ciruculation....creating a smaller demand for app development or compatability for the 10.1".

As a result, you might see more apps become compatible for other tablets before the SGT10.1"

Upvote 0
Having played with all the tablets inc the ipad 2 I couldn't wait to get this tab. I really wanted a 32gb but on lauch my local store only had 16gb versions and I couldn't wait I have to say I'm not disappointed this tablet is everythings it billed to be. The only thing I'm waiting for is the allshare update which will allow wireless streaming so the lack of a hdmi port won't matter. I'm really happy with this tab. I have a couple of android devices and would recommened them whole heartedly. Also there a couple of apps I always install firstly es file explorer as it allows you to access shared folders on you own wifi network which makes getting files on and off you tab easy via wifi and dropbox (or an alternative store and share from pc world also works well) for seamless access to my documents on my pc, tab or phone keeping everything synched and up to date.

I have the 16gb wifi version as my phone supports wireless tethering if I were to ever need it.

To sum up this tab is awesome :)

Upvote 0
Admittedly I've never owned an iPad, so my first tablet is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 from Verizon. The display is gorgeous, it is fast, 4G is indistinguishable from WiFi (except for cost, of course) and after a month I still get a surprise now and then. It's a great companion to an Android smartphone.

The HD camera on the back takes pictures every bit as good as a moderately priced point-and-shoot, and give you a 10.1 inch viewfinder as well. Shutter response is slow, but that's the biggest negative about the camera, whether for still photos or video.

Battery life is great as long as you remember to turn it off if you're not going to use it in the next few minutes. If you leave WiFi set on, the Tab will look for an 802.11 signal before it kicks on the 4G, so you can save the data plan bandwidth until you really need it.

All in all, a lot to like and no significant downside as far as I can tell. If you need file transfer, either plug it into your PC or download and sign up for a free Box.net account. I have literally all the apps I want, and most of them were free. Good deal!

Upvote 0
I think you'll find the GT 10.1 screen far superior to that of the Xoom. As a matter of fact, I'd throw out the Xoom and choose between the Transformer and the GT 10.1. You won't go wrong with either. If you need ports and keyboard and all that stuff, the TF is the way to go. If you want great portability and a sleek looking device, the GT 10.1 is the way to go.

Upvote 0
Love the Transformer. It's a really great tab. HDMI out put is really useful when stream videos from live online source.
I had the TF101 but returned it and picked up the Tab 10.1 due to the 3G access. I'm often out with the tab so the wireless 3G is more important than the ports to me. But each person needs to decide what's important to them. I like both tablets.
:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones