1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is this a new Google Now feaure??

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by funkylogik, Aug 1, 2013.

1. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    It just asked me if id like to know how far i walked in July... i said yes because that seems like a great feature but it said ive walked ONE MILE in a MONTH!! Lol im a very lazy dude but i know ive walked a lot farther than that lol.
    Any experiences?
    Could the inacuracy be caused by me changing roms (wiping the phone) or does it come from google servers?
    :beer:

Advertisement

2. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert
    None

Hi there.

That feature does sound familiar, but I've never seen the card for it. Inaccuracy will occur with rom changing, and I'd guess it wouldn't work well if you're traveling without your mobile data/gps on

funkylogik likes this.
  3. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    I remember hearing about this. But I don't know how to find it or the settings. It could be interesting. In the background maybe if it didn't do something like require GPS or only record when GPS is on.

4. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    It just popped up and im guessing it was because it was the end of the last day of the month so if its new, it should be on its way to you americans as the planet spins :)

I actually remember now barry, at IO they said something about it but id thought you would be prompted to activate it.. maybe the fact that it only got launched in July means the results will be messed up. Hopefully by end of august itl be more useful :beer:

And ps, i think i only started keeping GPS on all the time a few days ago so maybe it is accurate...

5. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    Wouldn't work for me. I purposely leave my phone at work or home at times. So I can build a historical database of receipts and video surveillance showing that I was at a location that was not consistent with my phone.

It's never too late to be paranoid.

6. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    About the Activity summary card

The Activity summary card appears once a month. It provides a very rough approximation of how far you've walked or cycled during that month compared to the previous one. These estimates are based on occasional samples of the accelerometer in your device, which are then compared to typical movements involved in walking or cycling.

This information isn't available unless you've turned on location reporting and history for at least one of your Android devices. If you've turned these on for more than one device, the Activity summary card reflects the one you used most often that month.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2839501?hl=en

Mehta23 and funkylogik like this.
  7. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Cheers mate. Hav u hit midnight yet?
    EDIT that was stupid reply lol even if you were on the east coast :banghead:

8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    It's not new. If you look on Google, you'll find news articles about it from way back last year in December.

They were claiming it would be better than Fitbit, but it's not. It would only work if you kept your phone on your body (ie; in your pocket) from the time you got up till the time you went to bed. I have a Fitbit, and the Google Now version of it is in no way better.

funkylogik likes this.
  9. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I just noticed it yesterday. The walking distance seems pretty accurate as I do park about a km away from where I work. However, it said that I cycled for 6 km. That is pretty unusual considering I don't own a bike and don't know how to ride one.

funkylogik likes this.