1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Is this considered "water damage?"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by arstron, Jul 11, 2011.

1. arstron

arstron Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I am a long time reader/lurker, just never had a reason to make an account here until now. A couple of months ago, I started having a weird problem with my evo, on the home button side of the screen, you can not use about 1/4" of the touch screen. I have tried different roms, have gone to unrooted stock 2.3, I have restored to factory defaults numerous times, and have done the screen calibration as well. I got the phone at the end of last year so I took it to my local sprint store, they took it apart and noticed a stain on a metal cover right below the vibrating motor. They say it is water damage and will not touch it anymore even though the water damage indicator on the battery and motherboard are perfect. We tried to get them to fix it with us paying them and they refused to touch it anymore. With the positioning of the water indicator on the motherboard, I dont see how any moisture could get inside the case without it being effected. I have already talked with sprint over the phone and they was very friendly. They told me I could get a replacement and send mine in, but if there was any indication of water damage I would be charged the full amount for the phone. So after my long ramble I am wondering what the chances are of sprint saying this is water damage? I do not see any corrosion on any contacts at all either.

Attached Files:

• evo.jpg
      evo.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
      Views:

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!
    i would try and get a second opinion. try a different sprint store and see what they could do for you before sending your phone in.

3. arstron

arstron Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Well the problem is, the corporate store I went to was 30 miles away, thats the closest one. Other then that, I dont know where the next closest one would be. Thats why I as hoping to get info here. :)

Thanks.

4. kingp

kingp Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    IT Systems Consultant
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Are the indicators altered in any way? That's what they look at for water damage.

arstron likes this.
  5. arstron

arstron Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    No they indicators are perfectly fine.

I did a search on sprint, the store 30 miles from me is the only "repair center" within 50 miles. :/

6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    if the indicators are fine then i would consider taking the chance and mail it in for service. not sure what else you can do at this point.

7. ironman187

ironman187 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    In your head.
    Try polishing that spot out with a paper town and Windex? (using extreme caution of course.)

Tags: