1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Is this device doomed to low sales? Probably not

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, Apr 13, 2011.

1. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Updated due to being wrong on a few things:

Similar specs as the TB and has two apparent anchors to stunt interest for most folks: Bing bloat and LGs unknown rep for support with Android updates. Factor in the TB already has a fantastic display- LG may not even have that as an advantage. This device should have been the dual version, since little differentiation from the proven supported HTC alternative with basically the same specs.

Battery will probably be similar to the TB, since same chipset and 4g.

Still, this device perfectly fits VZW strategy of mid level products sold at premium prices.

It does have Netflix, 16gb on device storage, HDMI out and an additional video chipset to help with hi def......... okay jinwons- I am wrong they are not the same.

Advertisement

2. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    The only valid point you made is LG's unknown reputation on Android updates.

What makes you think Tbolt's display is better when you obviously haven't seen Revolution yet? LG is the supplier of the retina IPS/LCD display on iPhone4 that Apple is touting like it's one of their greatest invention in display. Though the resolution will be the same WVGA as Tbolt, I bet that it will have higher contrast and richer colors on its IPS/LCD.

It's funny that you brought up battery issue when HTC is absolutely the worst manufacturer when it comes to battery life, not just Tbolt. It greatly depends on the optimization on chipset drivers and circuit board design, not just processor and radio component. Based on past record, LG is pretty good at that and HTC is horrible at that. Also IPS/LCD will be using less power than SLCD on Tbolt.

Also LG has some special modem chip in the Revolution's LTE radio (I forgot the name of it) that allows voice over LET network. Of course Verizon needs to turn on this service for Revolution, but Tbolt won't be able to do that at all.

The only thing Tbolt got going for is HTC name and the fact that it is the first LTE phone on VZW.

3. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    jinwons wins! :)

I still stick to the sales issue, unless LG puts the powerslam on for marketing the device and is vocal about update efforts. Lack of a dual for more product differentiation does not help either. The Bing thing is offish too.

added:

To further support your stance the device is a step up from the TB:

We already knew that the LG Revolution has a 4.3-inch touchscreen, 1GHz Snapdragon processor, DLNA, HDMI, DivX compatibility, Bluetooth 2.1, Wi-Fi, 3G and 4G/LTE mobile hotspot capabilities, and a microSD card slot. Other features of the LG Revolution include recording/playing 1080p HD video and a rear-facing, 5-megapixel camera and front-facing camera for video conferencing.

Scanning the developer specs, we saw that the LG Revolution has an MSM8655 + L2000 processor with graphic enhancements, 16GB of onboard storage.

4. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Buffalo, NY USA
    As far as LG's reputation as far as updates, the Fascinate is waiting for an OTA to Froyo. The LG Ally has had Froyo for about 3 months now.

Food for thought.

5. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    ^Hmmm. Interesting. How can one blame the carrier when they both on the same carrier?

Whats also interesting is once upon a time it was thought the LG Ally wouldnt get Froyo based on the hardware.

6. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have one of the newer premium LG Bluray players and LG have updated that since release, so at least they do have the premise of "updating" in their business process. They updated FW, codecs, Netflix, Pandora and a few other things, so was not a "simple" update.

Though I can not shake the Bing thing, the Rev has the potential of being a much better device than the TB, in spite of my intitial assertions of them being equal. Since HTC and VZW are now going the extra mile with anti-root efforts, HTC no longer has that as an adavantage for all but the more daring folks. The days of large root communities are about done, unless carriers and OEMs have a change of heart.... yeah right.

Besides the big negative (IMO) with Bing, the positives are there, verses the TB:

1. 16gb internal storage, verses ZERO on the TB
    2. Same tech display as the iPhone/iPod (better battery life and at least as good image quality)
    3. HDMI
    4. Seperate chipset for video decoding (not just using the 8655)
    5. Netflix built-in (folks that think Netflix does not block by device have not looked at their account- it shows active devices).
    6. HTC sucks for battery management efforts (will LG be any better, or is this a Qualcomm issue?)

Kind of seems a no-brainer if picking between the Rev and TB- assuming specs and actual performance of the Rev pans out, of course.

GunnerJim likes this.
  7. jfoey22

jfoey22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Cisco Engineer
    Cincinnati, OH

8. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    The TB has a 32gb micro sd and is "supposed" to have 8gb internal, but for technical reasons, HTC disabled 4gb. The result is 2.4gb available for apps (very good) and the balance of the 4gb taken by bloatware and the usual format parameters for making memory readable.

The LG is supposed to have a 16gb microsd and 16gb of internal storage as well. I will take the internal space and 16gb card, since easy to upgrade- can not do that with the TB.

9. jfoey22

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Cisco Engineer
    Cincinnati, OH

Oh, ok. Thanks.

10. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Looking like LG might not be using their IPS display tech, since not one recent spec sheet has it, but does have the battery sucking TFT listed. Sure hope an error.

11. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    I answered your question on your thread on it. Looks like you thought IPS is something very different than TFT. It is still kind of TFT LCD but with different cell arrangement (hence called In Plane Switching) and electric field orientation for better display performance. So TFT in the spec doesn't rule out it's IPS.

But not all the IPS screens are same. The one in 2X is of somewhat lower performance than Black in brightness, contrast but still better than SLCD in HTC phones. I think Phonearena did some display comparison on this. Not sure if Revolution will have the same kind as Black or 2X though.

12. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    Though this is Revolution forum. This one caught my attention today. It's been a long while for any news on Optimus 3D. Looks like amazing phone that can rival SGSII. Black screen contrast looks almost like SAMOLED. Verizon needs to have LG phone like this. But with the way things are going on android phones on Verizon now, I don't have any hope on it.

LG Optimus 3D initial review and hands-on | Android Central

13. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Netflix would have been a big selling point for the LG, but the intended exclusivity went out the window I believe with the delays due to VZW LTE problems.

I wonder if LG NA is pi55ed now? I was considering getting the Rev and Netlfix was an attraction. Netflix works great on my Incredible, so I will wait for other devices to release. One little app has changed my perception on my one year old Incredible.

14. DavidNJ

DavidNJ Lurker
    None

May 16, 2011
    The HTC Thunderbolt is not HTC best. The HTC Sensation has a qHD curved screen, dual core 1.2Ghz Snapdragon, and ways the same 146g as the Droid Charge in spite of it nifty aluminum case, the rear cover being the antenna.

LG has the G2x/Optimus 2x with dual core 1Ghz Tegra and the Optimus Black with its NOVA screen, which is much brighter than the Samsung Super AMOLED plus and fully useable in daylight.

The trouble is the Revolution is not LG's best. Like the Thunderbolt and Droid Charge it is a ok 2010 phone with a 2010 OS and LTE. LTE with not quite ready for prime time software.

Very frustrating if you need a phone now.

15. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    I know Tbolt is not HTC's best but we are mainly talking about LTE phones in this forum. The real serious opponent of Sensation will be SGSII which is the phone to beat this year.

One problem with LTE is that it's very challenging to pair it with dual core processor. Hence we are seeing only single core LTE phones so far. Motorola Bionic was supposed to be the first phone with both but it was delayed to late summer with no date yet. It will be interesting who will be the first to come with dual core LTE phone.

16. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    This phone will not do good in sales. Say what you will about the phone itself, whether it's better or worse than the tbolt is one's opinion but we can all agree that it is not a successor by any means (more of a lateral move).

Just thinking about it from a business perspective, the initial LTE craze was scooped up by the tbolt (hence why the tbolt's sale numbers were so great) and I thinkt eh people that have held out for this long are waiting for a more powerful phone, especially considering the S2 is already released and the sensation/evo 3d are slated to be released in less than a month. There are just so many other superior phones coming out I just don't see this phone having significant success. Not knocking on the phone itself, but just thinking about it from a market perspective.

17. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    Many folks fail to understand that SGSII, Sensation/Evo3D are not LTE phones and rant about LTE phones not being dual cores. Marrying dual core with LTE seems to be incredible challenge as Bionic was delayed toward Q4. It could be serious battery drain or stability of LTE/dual core integration.

I am fine with single core/LTE phone as long as it's working reliably with fast down/up speed without killing battery in no time. Tbolt didn't exactly deliver that as many hoped.

18. Raptor007

Raptor007 Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    IT Consultant
    New York
    Disagree, not everyone jumped on the ThunderBolt and with its current issues, others will look to different 4G LTE phones. Verizon typically doesn't split out how many units a phone sells in their quarterly reports, they likely did for the TB to bolster the 4G LTE phone market position.

19. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    I wanted to confirm the 16GB internal Storage and 16GB external upgradeable to 32GB. The RAM is 768MB and with the EXT file system the LG Revo rocks out better Quadrant scores than HTC TB. I think once people see how snappy the device is, the screen transition, and I think the screen is better overall than the HTC TB (IMO, this is very subjective).

So Apples to Apples comparing the Revo to the TB, Revo has a little more going for it. Faster, Better, Brighter, Lighter, Longer Batt, more future proof with VoLTE in it's System of Chips (SOC). I feel the hate mail rolling in... I like the TB and HTC... Wish they had put AMOLED in the TB like in the 1st run of Dinc1.

I wish VZW/Samsung had shoved the VoLTE chip in a Samsung Galaxy S II, Called it NEXUS Elite (Deckard Special or Straight Up "The Blade Runner") with Ice Cream Sandwich shoved in its orifices to rock out all ANDROID Goodness.... But one could only wish right...

20. jfoey22

None

Mar 17, 2010
    Cisco Engineer
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I would LOVE for the next Nexus device to be on Verizon. Heres to Hoping! I don't see a vanilla android device on VZW for awhile (other than the Xoom).

GunnerJim likes this.
  21. stetsonaw

stetsonaw Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 3, 2010
    Network Engineer
    Omaha
    should be the name of the first Revo ROM, lol...

and to make this related to the thread... the phone is awesome, hands down. Only two real reasons i want to root it... well, 3
    1. Themed system apps
    2. De-Bing
    3. To restore my apps with Titanium Backup because i didn't feel like all 200 of them downloading over 3G while i was at the VZW store.

GunnerJim likes this.
  22. stetsonaw

None

Feb 3, 2010
    Network Engineer
    Omaha
    xperia play is vanilla.

23. GunnerJim

None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    XDA Devs... Did you hear Stetsonaw? We need the ultimate LG Revolution ROM, call it Blade Runner, Debloat, Vanilla Gucci it out, Sweet Android Goodness, then Ice Cream Sandwich it for Blade Runner II, I think we are onto something.

stetsonaw likes this.
  24. stetsonaw

None

Feb 3, 2010
    Network Engineer
    Omaha
    word.

Still no forum for the Revo on xda, they said they would make it once there was developer shown interest in the device. I give it by the end of the week, especially with the amount of peeps probably ordering from Amazon this weekend.

25. GunnerJim

None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    Amazon will rock some sales, a ton of people are reading posts like this. I am debating on leaving reviews on VZW/Amazon/LG USA websites. It is the best choice right now, IMHO. I think locking into 4G unlimited is smart right now, seeing that VZW has invested its future in LTE. When the Iphone 5 crowd jumps in this fall with 3G, they will be tiered as VZW will want to bank some coinage.