1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Is this phone definitely getting ICS?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mzaur, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mzaur

mzaur Newbie
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Been reading reviews, watching videos, and this phone seems great. Best deal out right now. I was thinking of waiting for Nexus, but can't justify the extra price. This phone seems high end enough to last 2 years, especially with ICS graphical improvements.

The main reason why I'm switching from iPhone to Android is ICS, so I'm anxious to get a phone now but don't want to wait too long for ICS. I take it this phone will definitely get ICS? Do you guys have any idea how long it will take?

Advertisement

2. NateTheGreat55

None

Nov 6, 2011
    From the little bit of research I've done with this (yes, I'm completely interested as well,) Motorola's VP claimed that they haven't even gotten the source code to ICS yet. Since they work independently from Google, it could be anywhere up to six months from now before any Motorola phone sees an ICS update. Let's hope it doesn't come that late!

My Source:
    Motorola hasn't even gotten Android ICS yet, Eric Schmidt reiterates Google will keep it independent

EDIT: I just realized that I hardly mentioned the Atrix 2 in this post. Since they work independently, it's their call whether it's supported or not. But since they do work independently, I don't see why they wouldn't.

3. 916x10

916x10 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2010
    There has not been any official announcement as to IF we're getting ICS, let alone when.

4. KAB2010

KAB2010 Lurker
    None

Nov 11, 2011
    I hope we find out soon so I can take it back if it isn't supported. I see no reason why it wouldn't be though unless Motorola just gets lazy.

5. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    Moto so far only stayed that the RAZR and Bionic will be recieving ICS. But I'm can almost assure the atrix 2 will be getting some love too.

6. 916x10

None

Nov 13, 2010
    Just a FYI, Moto said its gonna be about 6 weeks after ICS release that they will start saying what other devices will get ICS

7. mzaur

mzaur Newbie
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    So let's say Moto takes forever to get ICS out to the Atrix, if ever. Would a custom rom be possible? And would this be as good as the ICS released by Moto? I don't care if it's a stock ICS. I just want to be smooth and not buggy. I don't mind rooting and installing a rom. Just really want ICS!

8. 916x10

None

Nov 13, 2010
    Yes. Possibly.

A custom rom is definitely possible, and highly likely. The only thing stopping us from having roms right now is the fact that we don't have a fully functioning recovery yet, but I know of a few devs on xda working on it. But once we get a working recovery, the skys the limit.

Whether or not it's as good as the stock ICS depends on the developer. I imagine that we're gonna get a working recovery before we get an unlocked bootloader, meaning the roms we get initially will be based on the stock rom, including ICS if the BL is still locked by then. Some devs are very good and put out excellent roms, others can be buggy and have issues. What I do before flashing a rom is I read the thread the rom is posted in to get a feel for any issues the rom has and see what people have to say about it and then decide if I want to flash it.

9. tyneusch

tyneusch Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Bank Manager
    Midwest
    With the new Moto/Google deal, I and many others are hoping that us Moto heads (not to be confused with Motorheads) will be getting ICS and other updates sooner than usual.

That being said, I am thinking that the refresh of Phones like the Droid X, the Atrix 2 and the Incredible weren't just to sell more phones (although that was probably a big part of it). The hardware in the Atrix 2 will be able to handle ICS pretty well and you can bet that there will be roms out sooner rather than later to help us cope with ICS fever.

10. 916x10

None

Nov 13, 2010
    They released a statement saying things will remain status quo so dont count on it.