• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this phone worth 530$ ?

Nexus One worth 530$ ?

• Yes !

Votes: 51 38.9%
  • No !

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • Ehh Maybe...but will wait for price drop.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Not really so Ill opt for subsidized...

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My point of view is a bit different. The N1 is quite outstandig. Shure, there are more Snapdragons to come but no genuine Google. The X10 is too expensive for what it offers and you have to rely on Sony Ericsson for updates (for 2.1, 2.5,...). I have very bad experiance with updates and software optimization with SE and my Xperia X1 (they promoted it as high end premium customer phone, you got a halfbaked handset, not bad but missed quite much).
HTC on the other hand is quite good with their software and update policy. As far as it counts for me, I don't like Sense UI. Also the FM Radio in my Xperia I never used (ok, a few times for testing after ROM flashing).

So wait for the Bravo? Why? It's about the same. Wait for the second half of 2010 when, maybe, the first dualcore snapdragon device is out? Don' want to wait so long! Do I want a Hardware Keyboard? Not really, I prefer the smaller and lighter form factor.

So what does stay: The N1 is a Snapdragon, original Google handset with an AMOLED Display for a reasonable price (as far as I'm concerned) with a probably good service (Google and HTC)

Upvote 0
Actually, the only reason to buy an N1 come January 5th is IMHO: combination of impulse and impatience.
etc....
Great post, well written and a breath of fresh air in this frantic and often immature online world. I agree with most of your ideas including the lament that will ensue the moment after another phone comes along that is clearly superior or when people realize it is just another phone with nothing spectacular to offer. But I don't agree that Google has to create the greatest UI frontends so that users don't look for better ones. That's what the marketplace is for and all of the great devs aren't working for Google. The apps in the box need to be pretty good or the marketing won't work very well but they don't have to be the ultimate. But google needs the best framework for the devs to work in, I don't know enough about that. Apple seems to be good enough out of the box and supports a thriving market but they loose me beyond the engineering aspect. I heard the same things about Nokia and their open systems; really plain looking and minimally functional apps that now make the google apps look really good. As long as joe the dev can create the better app then we still get what we want.

I do wish they would have taken the big leap with the alternative voice options but I'm afraid they wouldn't have made any deals with any providers if they had even talked about it much. But we can use it that way which is good however I can already do that with my Magic phone. It just isn't obvious and certainly not marketed like that. Heck, I used an N800 with VoIP before the iPhone came along and skipped the whole hysteria while saving many thousands of dollars. All these game changers and the industry is still a huge mess. iPhone was supposed to change the industry and now google is supposed to challenge the iPhone. Things don't change as much as the marketing and rumors suggest. But they are just a little better now and I thank google for that.

Upvote 0
I hope you are right with the assumption that many other phones are coming out soon as well. Rumor says Motorola is making another Android phone as part of their deal with Verizon, the Motorola Shadow. Supposed to be a 4.3 inch screen, have video out and 1080 HD capable. I'm not sure we are having a bunch of high end launches for the Q1, at least.

Upvote 0
How often do you drive or fly across the country? Perhaps just as often as the Euros cross international borders for the same distance. Again, lines on a map don't mean very much in this context. Yet they can just as easily in many cases use their phones in the next country like we can in the next state. Despite all the countries, languages, and local interests they have a system that is more standardized than we do. Density has little to do with it. And there are low density countries that have good coverage and lower prices. There are other reasons for the mess we're in and the feds are the wrong people to ask to fix it, their interest in is keeping the status quo because of the extra revenue from bogus logic.
We need more early adopters of unlocked phones. Eventually we'll get more standards and better service.

And here's where I think you're missing my point. Verizon here is responsible for my service whether I use it in NYC or if I travel to Dallas and try to make a call. That's the burden my monthly rate must cover, maintaining such a network. I can complain and switch providers based on the inability of their national network to provide me with adequate service. T-Mobil in Germany isn't responsible for your phone working in France. Some 3GPP agreement long ago made sure it would work (compatible frequencies), but you don't complain to T-Mobil Germany about poor service in Paris and you certainly don't expect your monthly rate supports your phone working or not working in Paris. Switching to O2 won't make a difference. So yeah, it's very much about lines and state lines aren't synonymous with int'l lines.

I think if you look at countries that rival the US in terms of land mass (Russia, Canada, China) you'll find that cellular coverage isn't as comprehensive and rather focuses on the densely populated areas and the low density areas are left out. Again, the US doesn't have that luxury. A lot of people are spread evenly over a large portion of the country. High and medium population density predominates much of the land area of this country and that's a burden unparalleled anywhere else on the planet.

Upvote 0
The info that is known right now is that google & TMobile is combining the worst of the US & Euro markets...

Europe unsubsidized Phone prices + US subsidize Phone Plan prices... = Getting clover on both ends... ($540+$80 a month = Nothing to see here.. Wait for the HTC Bravo)

Multiple blogos see google possibly making google voice take up the slack after the limited 500mins of the subsidize plan... But then that would mean that all that should be needed is data only for those that don't subsidize this plan from TMobile... If the Nexus One can receive & call out thru google voice... Then it would mean it can be data only...

I don't understand why it would be limited for use after the 500mins are used up... If it's capable of VoIP... Then it should just work all the time..
Data Only($20-$30 a month) 1ghz phone would make it worth $540... And the invitation only can be at first for only google voice + gizmo5 current account holders to get the service started & tested...

Hope that this is a surprise that google has kept to itself since just about everything else is know about the phone... If not then it's not worth the cost/hype... :cool:

Upvote 0
I hope you are right with the assumption that many other phones are coming out soon as well. Rumor says Motorola is making another Android phone as part of their deal with Verizon, the Motorola Shadow. Supposed to be a 4.3 inch screen, have video out and 1080 HD capable. I'm not sure we are having a bunch of high end launches for the Q1, at least.

I heard about this.....I gotta see if I can get a client to get it for me as a gift hahaha. Keeping up with technology is tough.

Upvote 0
And here's where I think you're missing my point. Verizon here is responsible for my service whether I use it in NYC or if I travel to Dallas and try to make a call. That's the burden my monthly rate must cover, maintaining such a network. I can complain and switch providers based on the inability of their national network to provide me with adequate service. T-Mobil in Germany isn't responsible for your phone working in France. Some 3GPP agreement long ago made sure it would work (compatible frequencies), but you don't complain to T-Mobil Germany about poor service in Paris and you certainly don't expect your monthly rate supports your phone working or not working in Paris. Switching to O2 won't make a difference. So yeah, it's very much about lines and state lines aren't synonymous with int'l lines.

I think if you look at countries that rival the US in terms of land mass (Russia, Canada, China) you'll find that cellular coverage isn't as comprehensive and rather focuses on the densely populated areas and the low density areas are left out. Again, the US doesn't have that luxury. A lot of people are spread evenly over a large portion of the country. High and medium population density predominates much of the land area of this country and that's a burden unparalleled anywhere else on the planet.
So your point is that on the one hand you're screwed for pricing because it is a big country but that's ok because because on the other hand you're better off because you can complain if the reception doesn't work in the next state? So let's say you travel to Canada and opt for the roaming which BTW is totally insane pricing (I now assume because it is an even bigger country with way fewer people so I can't complain about the pricing). Your phone only works 1/2 the time and you have to pay for what you did use even though it was horrible service. You can't complain because it was a Canadian provider? I think I'd complain to my local provider because that is who I paid for the luxury of roaming on another system. I expect to get what I paid for and so do the poor Euros in their little countries. No, I don't believe that we have higher prices and lower tech because we're a large continent.

Funny you mentioned Canada, Russia, China. I don't know the details of those systems except for Canada which is even more corrupt than the U.S. system and pay crazy prices (but we get faster data speeds). Instead I might look at other large but low density countries like Finland that have higher tech, lower prices, and still manage to cover vast underpopulated areas. I wouldn't expect to have service in the middle of every glacier but I'd bet I could at the lodge's sauna.

The info that is known right now is that google & TMobile is combining the worst of the US & Euro markets...
Interesting. And like most new things that are hyped as game changers the early adoption comes at a very high price. Apple was supposed to shake up the industry but the users pay a higher cost for that coolness. Now everyone sells a smartphone but the industry hasn't changed. Data access and even basic voice over wireless is still sold as Jetson's magic so the price is kept high.

I don't think even the big google could bully the telcos into changing things very much. "We want to offer VoIP as a primary voice alternative so that users can buy a simple data plan" "No, only if the user pays the same or more overall". "Ok".

Upvote 0
I don't get this argument too. I'm from Europe and here we have everywhere GSM/EDGE or 3G reception, no matter where you are. And for the calling fees, they depend. If you are a Vodafone customer you can call in every Vodsfone Network worldwide for the same fees like you were at home (for example you have a german vodafone contract and are going to spain (or even australia *g*) you pay a onetime charge of 0,75 € and then use your includet minutes or the same prices like home.). If you are on any other provider the inner european roaming charges are getting quite low (thanks for the european council *g*). we pay around 15-20 ct/min for inbound calls or 30-40ct for outbound if we are abroad. The usual contract without a phone in german does cost between 0,00 €/month (and 9 ct/min or MB) or more with more included minutes (or flatrate), sms, data,... For exapmle, when you pay 20 €/month you can expect a calling flatrate into the landline, for 60 €/month a flatrate for everything (landline, wireless calls to all carriers, data). All without a subsidized phone (with one add roughly 5-20 €/month).

Upvote 0
Switch to an Even More Plus plan and buy the 530 dollar unlocked version, it's cheaper in the 2-year run with the 20 dollar cheaper plan....

i wasn't a believer in this, until i thought of the fact that if you do see another phone you want in 6 or 8 months, you can sell the nexus one for a good amount ($400? $450?), and get most of your money back. Combine that money with the money you'll save each month, and it is kind of appealing. If I can scrap up enough money, I might go this route.

Upvote 0
i wasn't a believer in this, until i thought of the fact that if you do see another phone you want in 6 or 8 months, you can sell the nexus one for a good amount ($400? $450?), and get most of your money back. Combine that money with the money you'll save each month, and it is kind of appealing. If I can scrap up enough money, I might go this route.

Exactly what I was thinking, if a phone comes out with better hardware/REAL solid UI then I might wanna switch out. Even MotoBlur is quite appealing but seems like it doesn't run well because of lack of computing power... that may change with a snapdragon and half a gig of RAM :p

Upvote 0
Nice post anotherfandroid ...........I would have to agree.
I will be getting a phone in the next few weeks the N1 or the Droid.
I'm leaning towards the droid at the moment.
Ok now don't laugh......I mean it damn it but Im sure you would agree I need a new phone cuz I'm running an extremely high end ultra cool blazing fast chocolate right now.

lolz......i know nothing about "chocolate" but man, i bet you feel just as stupid as i do when i tell people that my phone is called mytouch. i mean how masculine can you look when your phone is "chocolate" or "mytouch" ? what are these telecoms thinkin? perhaps more fitting names for our devices would be mySNAIL 3g and choco-LATE. i am so happy neither verizon, t-mo, nor htc got to name the nexus. imagine what it would be like: t-mo would have called it mytouch 3gs, veri would have called it droid dooshbag and htc would have called it htc awesomo or something....cheesy stupid names man, embarassing us in public. aight, sorry for the digression; honestly, if you were to choose between droid and N1, i would def go for N1 and here's why:

1-N1 has a faster processor.
2-N1 looks much better than droid
3-N1 is smaller than the droid.
4-you dont want the public to hear your phone say DROOOOI EEED when it boots because that is the super tacky.

so unless you absolutely detest t-mo, thenget n1...good luck either way.

i included pix of both phones for ya...

Attachments

• droid.jpg
    droid.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 67
  • n1.jpg
    n1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 3gs.jpg
    3gs.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 74
  • x10.jpg
    x10.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

4.3 inch screen:eek::eek:????

when it comes to certain body parts, the bigger the better. but when it comes to phones, there is such a thing as too big. 4.3 inch sounds like a tablet pc!!! gimme 4 inch and i am happy

Upvote 0

But you have to beware of for how much you can really sell your phone for in 6-8 months.
Used phone price can easily drop $50 to $100 in value in the first month or two. If new and better phones come out, your Nexus One will turn into a just another used and outdated phone out there. It is very unlikely you can sell for $400+, especially if you throw away the box and have scratches on it. You better hope Apple won't come out with a really good iphone.

Upvote 0
So your point is that on the one hand you're screwed for pricing because it is a big country but that's ok because because on the other hand you're better off because you can complain if the reception doesn't work in the next state? So let's say you travel to Canada and opt for the roaming which BTW is totally insane pricing (I now assume because it is an even bigger country with way fewer people so I can't complain about the pricing). Your phone only works 1/2 the time and you have to pay for what you did use even though it was horrible service. You can't complain because it was a Canadian provider? I think I'd complain to my local provider because that is who I paid for the luxury of roaming on another system. I expect to get what I paid for and so do the poor Euros in their little countries. No, I don't believe that we have higher prices and lower tech because we're a large continent.

First off, my original point which I feel has been lost is that people can't compare other countries to the US. Yeah, it's overpriced here compared to what it could be, but it's never gonna be nearly as cheap as the little countries, and I don't see how the subsidized model is inferior to the unsubsidized model of business for the US market. Someone spouting off about how things work well in their country doesn't make it practical elsewhere.

To address your comment, go ahead and complain. But not sure what Verizon or AT&T or whomever is going to do if Rogers coverage sucks because a) it's not their network to maintain and b) the have ZERO leverage. The insane price you pay to roam is the insane price Rogers charges Verzion or AT&T for the low volume, non-revenue usage. It's simply passed on to you, so complain to Rogers. Or complain to your provider for not softening the blow or absorbing the cost (why would they do THAT when they're already overcharging you domestically, right?).

And to be clear, I'm not including Canada in this. Yeah, Canada is large, but your population is concentrated to the south. I'm speaking only of the US.

Funny you mentioned Canada, Russia, China. I don't know the details of those systems except for Canada which is even more corrupt than the U.S. system and pay crazy prices (but we get faster data speeds). Instead I might look at other large but low density countries like Finland that have higher tech, lower prices, and still manage to cover vast underpopulated areas. I wouldn't expect to have service in the middle of every glacier but I'd bet I could at the lodge's sauna.

I don't know the details of those systems either but a quick glance at the worldwide GSM coverage maps show that Russia's coverage is mainly to the west and along the south while China's is mostly near the coast. Neither country, just like Canada has widespread border to border to border coverage.

As for Finland: It is 3.3% (three POINT three) the size of the US in land area. That's by no means anywhere near a large country for any point of comparison here.

Upvote 0
Well I don't want to argue telecom politics so this is the last time. Once again I say the size of the country has nothing to do with it. If anything, the 300+million people makes up for the size and given the stupid pricing should make this the most advanced system anywhere. But if you're happy with how things are then why argue, but I'm not happy with it.

As for Canada being even more out of touch with plans and pricing or by some arguments not even worth mentioning (heard that before, we're just another Zimbabwe) why don't we turn it around. I travel to the Excited States and have to give up an arm and a leg for roaming yet the coverage wasn't very good. I can't complain? You damn straight I can complain. Doesn't matter who the carrier is, I pay my carrier to be on your carrier, I complain to my carrier. If they can just say oh well, we don't control the other guy so tough luck for you. If it was that way then they shouldn't offer me the service, that's what roaming charges are for.

Again wtf does the physical size of the country have to do with anything? Finland is smaller in size indeed, but is also lower in density. I won't bother to look up the exact figures because I don't think it matters. There are more people in NYC than in all of Finland. They cover not only the big city but the little villages. Same for Norway, including my favorite town of Troms

Upvote 0
Switch to an Even More Plus plan and buy the 530 dollar unlocked version, it's cheaper in the 2-year run with the 20 dollar cheaper plan....

No interest in no contract. In the end, it's only $130 in savings, and, theoretically, T-Mobile could jack my rate up at any time since I haven't signed an agreed contract at that price. While that probably won't happen, I'm not going to chance it. I've been with T-Mobile for 6 years and another two won't bug me at all.

Upvote 0
i included pix of both phones for ya...
Your car/phone comparisons are interesting. Personally I'd compare the N1 to something better than a BMW but whatever. :rolleyes:

As an owner of a Mercedes Benz, I'm a little insulted you'd compare one to a phone I wouldn't be caught dead with. :mad: (at least my MB can make a phone call)

Finally, I agree the X10 is good looking, but slow and unreliable... just like an Aston Martin. ;)

Upvote 0
I am a proud american,and above all a human,and last time i checked,unless you're GOD: what qualifies YOU to judge anyone???Especially over such a menial issue... It disgusts me to realize that there even are people as ignorant as you.....no offense.Not turning it into a usa vs europe issue because i cannot prove that you arent just an annoying child, messing w/ dad's pc saying stupid things to piss people off.
Issue @ hand, you all would probably be surprised to find out what your smart phone actually cost outside a contract...MY HTC HERO costs 664 usd. Glad i only paid 99 for mine...besides, look how much an IStone costs!!

Agreed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones