• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this phone worth getting...for free?

sleemie

Jun 17, 2009
Verizon is offering it for free right now and was wondering if it was worth using my upgrade and being stuck with this for the next two years. I guess one question I would have is how far behind is it technologically from the newer verizon phones, such as the RAZR, Rezound and Nexus? Will it be getting ICS? You can't argue with the price since it's free, but I'd rather pay a few bucks and get something that's going to be at least in the same league with the latest and greatest phones, even if not completely on that level.

What, if anything, would I be sacrificing by getting this phone instead of one of the newer Verizon phones?

The Charge has been good to/for me. I like the size and feel and it operates just fine for me. However were I in the market for a new phone I would pay the bucks and get one of the new ones coming out this year. There is just to much changing to fast to be getting something as old as the charge is now IMO.

I agree with this, I wouldn't categorize the Charge as a bad phone, because I actually like mine -- however some newer, faster phones have come out since that offer better battery life.

ON my list, in order -- currently avail on Verizon:

Galaxy Nexus
RAZR Maxx

Upvote 0
I hear Nexus has big problems. I love my charge after this latest update. How many other phones have a 32 sd card included?

What problems? Have both and the charge has given me more grief then my nexus. I am on my third charge and on my first nexus. I still think the charge was the best device out at the time I bought it and a good phone. Not sure if the fp1 update fixed all the issues. Spend the extra money and get the nexus. For sure you will get the jelly bean update and possibly key lime pie.

Upvote 0
What problems? Have both and the charge has given me more grief then my nexus. I am on my third charge and on my first nexus. I still think the charge was the best device out at the time I bought it and a good phone. Not sure if the fp1 update fixed all the issues. Spend the extra money and get the nexus. For sure you will get the jelly bean update and possibly key lime pie.

I had the Galaxy Nexus LTE/CDMA version since day 1. So after 3 1/2 months, I gave up on it and sold it a couple of days ago.

Great device. Loved the screen. Loved ICS but Samsung has horrible, and I mean horrible antenna design problems on many of their CDMA phones, including the galaxy nexus.

Final straw was when my friend's Droid Razr was able to get 2-3 bars of LTE signal at my house and my Verizon LTE iPad gets 3 bars at my house also.

But my Galaxy Nexus never gets LTE signal and CDMA signal is 2-3.

At work, I get a 30-40% no signal on my Galaxy Nexus, which is ridiculous. I mean no CDMA, no LTE.

So if unless you live in a very strong Verizon area (I am in Orlando); if you live in a strong area, than the Nexus is great. But if it's a "fringe" area, you will be kicking yourself because even the leaked 4.03/4.04/05 software update do not improve the antenna.

Getting back to the original question. I wouldn't waste your upgrade on the Droid Charge even if free. You can find them on craiglist for $150 these days no contract in good condition.

Even the Galaxy Nexus goes from $350-450 on craigslist perfect condition. This sure beats spending $299 on contract for the Gnex (you can get it a little cheaper on Amazon (for $229 for upgrades). Amazon has them for $99 of NEW customers.

There are other phones coming out in the next couple of months. So if you need a new phone now, get it used. Save your upgrade.

Upvote 0
What are the new oho.es worth waiting for? How does the motorola razr compared to samsumg galaxy nexus?(besides antennae)

As far as poor signal strength in order to get a true assessment of actual signal strength you need to check your dbm. The current 4.0.2 signal strength indicator is not accurate. A correctly operating nexus will show similar numbers as most phones. This has been tested many times.

Upvote 0
I'm looking at getting an upgrade too, and the, Charge is one phone I am considering as I want one with an AMOLED display (top priority in my choices). But there is conflicting information about how much internal usable RAM the Charge has. The specs say it has 2GB internal memory. But someone on Amazon Wireless in a review said it only has 328 MB of RAM. If that is true, that is a deal breaker for me. I typically have tens of apps installed and since upgrading from an LG Ally to Droid X I don't have to fiddle with moving apps to SD anymore. I would rather not have that issue again.

I was seriously considering the RAZER until I read that its battery is not user removable, so no extended battery available (something I always equip every one of my phones with). The RAZER MAXX is too crazy expensive to even consider as an option. Wanting the AMOLED display limits my options some, but I also don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone. This narrows the field very quickly.

So how much user RAM is in the Charge?

Upvote 0
The specs say it has 2GB internal memory. But someone on Amazon Wireless in a review said it only has 328 MB of RAM.

According to SystemPanel Lite:

/system is 333MB
/data is around 1200MB (where installed apps go)
/cache is 260MB
/dbdata is 100MB
/dev is around 190MB
RAM is around 380MB

I have a lot of apps installed (161) and still have 300MB free in /data. I also don't have issues with RAM usage. Under normal circumstances, I have 75-80MB free. During periods of high usage (games, etc), this drops but has never caused slowdown or choppiness/poor framerate.

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
Mines rooted just to remove bloat and I have to say I am impressed by the battery in this thing it lasts all day on a single charge Like 7am to 9pm-ish when I go to bed. But like others said there are too many other options so buy it outright and save upgrade. I buy all my phones on CL I like being MTM actually, most people upgrade just to sell them for profit so you can get a good deal on one. Something really has to catch my eye before I sign a contract

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones