1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is this possible? (Bluetooth related)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by nudemanonbike, Jul 5, 2011.

1. nudemanonbike

nudemanonbike Lurker
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    Despite searching high and low, I've yet to find an app that lets me use my phone as a Bluetooth receiver. What I mean is, if I were to plug my phone in via a computer's USB port, If I would be able to use an external Bluetooth device and interface with my phone, and conversely, my computer.

I haven't found such an app on the market, nor any other place.

I wonder if it's possible, seeing as we have similar functionality when using Wired Tether, the difference being that wired tether makes use of either the 3G/4G radio or the wifi receiver in the phone.

As I haven't seen such an app, and as this app would greatly benefit myself and potentially other users (Bluetooth receivers aren't exactly common in desktop computers, and of all the laptops we have, none of them have one) I have to wonder why nobody had this idea yet, or if it is possible on the android platform at all.

Does anyone have any insight on this subject?

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    I'm almost positive this isn't possible. However, you can get a bluetooth usb receiver for your computer for under 5 dollars.

3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    It's theoretically possible but really sitlet's suggesstion is much better/easier/more reliable (IMO).

With so many different USB drivers and OSes out there USB communication is a bit of a headache unless you're a big corp like HTC writing stuff for SenseUI. And ever their USB software is terrible :)

The advantage of sitlet's suggestion, a dedicated usb hardware stick, is that it will just be built to spec and Windows/OSX will just recognize it and go. (generally).

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Tethering and a BT dongle are completely different. I'd suggest getting the latter if that's what you're looking for. They're cheap and easily found.