1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Is this right (re: UOT Kitchen)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by K-Rizzle, Jan 10, 2012.

1. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    So I rooted, basically only for the ability to freeze bloatware. I'm not really interested in themes other than the battery icon and lock screen.

I've just gone through the kitchen and chosen the things I want. I want to basically keep my stock rom that is on my phone now and add the battery and lock screen. I install GO Launcher over the stock launcher anyway which is why I'm not interested in installing other roms.

Am I right in checking those off and then uploading the actual files; framework-res.apk, SystemUI.apk and com.htc.resources.apk from my phone (I found each one through file expert) into the kitchen on this page?

http://androidforums.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=218

Advertisement

2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Not sure what the link was supposed to be but it takes you to post a new thread on AF.

Yes, you need to upload those files after you choose the mods you want. Then submit it and write down your order number. It may take a bit depending on how many mods you are doing. Download it and it should be flashable.

I used that when I first got started making mods.....it took a couple times to get it down but it works well.

ocnbrze, Granite1 and K-Rizzle like this.
  3. K-Rizzle

None

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    Awesome. Thanks! It seemed like that would be what I'd need to do, but I'm still kind of a newbie at this (especially on my evo) so I wanted to make sure.

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    UOT kitchen is great if you just want to do small modification (batteryor other icons).

Let us know if you got it working, we'll be here to help if you can't.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. K-Rizzle

None

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    Everything except the lock screen, I tried twice too. It's more of a pain than it's worth to go through and select everything again, upload the files, etc just for the lock screen. At least I have a pretty font on my sense lock screen now, lol!

6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp

Have you tried widget locker? Or Go Locker

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. LotsaBS

LotsaBS Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Central US
    I have a few questions about UOT Kitchen. My Evo 4g is rooted with the 4.54.651.1 OTA rom installed (note that I have the original odexed HTC/Sprint OTA rom installed, not a de-odexed version). Since I am using the OTA rom, I am on Sense 1.0

I am hoping that I can use UOT Kitchen to change only the notification (status) bar pulldown to include "quick settings" as found in later versions of Sense. BTW I have already successfully created a UOT file including only that mod, but I have NOT yet tried to install it.

Does anyone know if this will this work at all? If I try to flash it and it fails, will it screw up my existing rom?

If it will work, when I install the UOT file from recovery, will doing so delete all of my apps and settings etc. (like when installing a new ROM) or will it simply install the new notification-status bar over my existing installation?

8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    General Rule of Thumb
    Prepare for the worst. Hope for the Best.

Always Always Always Always make a NANDROID before doing anything to your phone. This will save you lots of hair and headache.

Second Flashing the UOT kitchen file will not mess with anything except the notification menu unless you change something else.

LotsaBS likes this.
  9. LotsaBS

LotsaBS Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Central US
    Thanks argedion. I had planned on a nandroid b/u. I have been lucky in the past and been able to update all of the OTA's and restore root without having to re-install all of my apps in the past ([GUIDE]Updating to 4.22.651.2 OTA WITHOUT flashing a new ROM or wiping your Phone - xda-developers). I was just concerned that the notification mod may cause problems since it was designed for later Sense versions and just didn't want to fubar my phone and have to do alot of work to bring it back. I may also try installing the battery mod as well. Thx again!

10. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    As long as you pull the necessary files(SystemUI, com.htc.resources, framework-res) from your installed rom, you should have no issues with it messing up your phone. All the kitchen will do is take the original files and make the necessary edits for the changes you requested. If for some reason it does mess up, you just need to put the original files in a flashable zip(replacing the ones in the UOT zip would work) or "push" them to the phone to get it back to normal.

LotsaBS and argedion like this.
  11. LotsaBS

LotsaBS Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Central US
    I created the UOT file with copies of my original installed rom (SystemUI, com.htc.resources, framework-res) so hopefully it will work. Good to know that if something does go wrong I could push my original un-modded files back to get back to normal. Hopefully I will have time to try it this weekend. Thanks.

Tags: