1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is this the Android phone I want?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GomerBoy, May 30, 2011.

1. GomerBoy

GomerBoy Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2011
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. My birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and I am going to be getting myself a new phone. I currently have the lame LG Rumor Touch, so I will be replacing it with my first smartphone in 2 weeks. :D I have been reading reviews and comparing phones and so far, everything has been leading me to buy the Samsung Epic 4g. It is really the only Android-smartphone Sprint has with a slide out keyboard (which I prefer) right? I have a couple worries though...

1. The phone is nearly a year old...is it going to be replaced/outdated very soon by another Android-smartphone with a slide out keyboard?

2. I've heard the battery life isn't the greatest...will I be able to get at least a full day's use of the phone without the battery dying?

What do you guys think? Will I be happy with the Samsung Epic 4g as my first Android-smartphone? :thinking:

Advertisement

2. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Hi there, welcome to the Android forums. Right now Sprint has 2 phones with a slideout keyboard, the Samsung Epic 4G, and the HTC Evo shift 4G (and the Samsung Replenish has a keyboard but its not slide out). The Epic does have a 5 row keyboard, as opposed to the Evo Shift 4G which only has a 4 row... this is a comparison video between the Epic and Evo Shift (note they're both running 2.2 now).

Regarding #1, I honestly don't think the Epic 4G is outdated at all. Its still got a 1ghz processor, 4" super amoled screen, and an overall decent specs. I also have heard a lot talk about the Epic 4G getting Android 2.3 Gingerbread (newer version of Android [Right now it has Android 2.2 FroYo]), so when that happens it will be running the newest available version of Android.

Regarding #2, I get great battery life from my Epic, but thats largely due to a custom ROM that I'm running which has been optimized to run more efficient and faster (more about that stuff in the "all things root" section if you're interested). However, I did recently suggest my mother upgrade to the Epic 4G (Best buy had them for free with upgrade, she couldn't pass on that), and hers is completely stock and not rooted or anything, and with moderate use, she gets through a day with the phone (shes not a heavy web user, lots of texts, a few calls, and a couple youtube videos).

I think the Epic would be a good smartphone for a 1st smartphone, what all do you want to do with your phone as far as use?

3. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    I would mainly use my phone for the internet/Facebook when I am out somewhere and maybe play a few apps, along with the moderate texting I do each day.

4. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Sounds like it should be fine, depending on how much internet you use it for :) Its a good phone.

5. FreakyLocz14

None

Jul 13, 2010
    Sprint has several with a keyboard. The EPIC and the EVO Shift are the only 4G phones with a keyboard. If you want a free phone, there's the Samsung Intercept (but I'd steer clear of that one if I were you).

The EPIC is the best phone out on Sprint as of today, imo. The EVO 3D should be coming out soon, and the Samsung Within will succeed the EPIC sometime this fall. Personally, I'm waiting for the Within.

6. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    But it looks like from the pictures of the Samsung Within, it will not have a slide out keyboard. Is this correct?

The Samsung Within will not blow the Epic 4g out of the water when it comes out right? It will just be a bit faster, have better screen, better camera and a few other specs. It will just be an update of sorts?

7. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
  8. FreakyLocz14

None

Jul 13, 2010
    You've seen pictures of the Within? Please, share them with me.

As far as I'm aware, there have been no pictures leaked. And the talk that it won't have a physical keyboard is just speculation at this point, though very much possible. Even if it doesn't, the EVO 3D won't have one either, so I'll still go for the Within unless something else unexpected changes my mind.

It will have Gingerbread out of the box, dual-core processor, Super AMOLED Plus display, and will shoot 1080p video, among several other improvements.

The EPIC will continue to be a great phone. If you don't need the latest and greatest like me, the EPIC will remain a solid choice if the Within were to not have a physical keyboard.

9. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    I am not an expert, but here are pictures of the Within from Samsung's website.

Samsung GALAXY S II

Looking at the pictures, there seems to be no slide out keyboard. I prefer slide out keyboard phones, so I think I will be getting the Epic.

10. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    FYI, this is where I'm getting the info that the Within won't have a physical keyboard.

Samsung Within is the Samsung Galaxy S2 for Sprint |

Honestly Gomerboy, I think the Epic would be a fine fit based on what you're posting about what you want. I am very happy with mine.

11. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    Okay thanks! Yeah people like me with a budget can not be upgrading to every new phone. And plus, I just like phones with a slide out keyboard better, I don't know why I just do. So the Epic is my best choice!

12. sethman88

sethman88 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    student
    Abingdon VA
    I think you would be happy with it, I was the same way about wanting a phone with a slide out keyboard because previously I had a droid 2 from verizon and then my family switched to sprint and I choose the epic, I really like this phone, and i just got it about 2 weeks ago and my battery isnt as bad as everyone says i dont know if its because mine came with the update from 2.1 to 2.2.1 and another i like about the epic is the screen is amazing, though it only has a 5.0 mega pixel camera it still looks much better then any other phone simply because of the screen, the only thing I dont like about it is sometimes when typing with the keyboard it does not register keystrokes at points and when typing with the on screen touch pad it doesnt have predictive text which allows for a lot of typos

13. Silent Thunder

Silent Thunder Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Do you have to stay with Sprint? If not take a drive down to your local Verizon store and check out there 4GLTE offerings. They blow everyone else away.

14. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    I wasn't aware that Verizon had 4G phones that had a physical keyboard? Gomerboy has already stated that he prefers a slide out keyboard.

15. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    I have to stay with Sprint because I am under my family's plan. I really see the Samsung Epic 4g being my only option because I want an Android smartphone with a slide out keyboard. The 4g Shift does not really appeal to me (looks smaller and more childish) and apparently the Samsung Within will NOT have a slide out keyboard.

I always get nervous though that when I buy an electronic device, something bigger and better will be released and outdate/replace the device I just bought. Sprint has no plans of releasing a smartphone with slide out keyboard in the near future right?

16. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    Also, this is a little off topic, but should I get a case for my Epic? Do any of you guys have a case for your Epic?

17. PC Jona

PC Jona Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    New York
    droid 3 for verizon *cough*

epic is still a great phone. with a custom rom its still up to par with the fastest phones imo

if the Within doest have a keyboard then i will most likely be going to verizon for the droid 3

its so stupid that no one is making dual core sliders yet. phones with keyboards are much more functional imo

18. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Yes I have a Body Glove snap on case on mine... I think its a good idea just for a lil extra protection (although it does add a lil thickness).

19. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    I'm sorry if I keep repeating myself, but I just want to know FOR SURE before I buy my Epic next Thursday...

I always get nervous that when I buy an electronic device, something bigger and better will be released and outdate/replace the device I just bought. Sprint has no plans of releasing another smartphone with a slide out keyboard in the near future right?

20. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Not that I have heard of, no.

21. FreakyLocz14

None

Jul 13, 2010
    FAIL!!!

That is the international version of the Galaxy S2. None of the U.S. variants are pictured there.

That's also a picture of the international S2.

I'm not saying that you guys are necessarily wrong. I'm just saying that we don't know yet. I hope it does have a keyboard, though I'm still getting it regardless.

22. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

I'll forgo SAMOLED+ and dual core goodness to keep the keyboard. For me it's an essential. Thankfully the gingerbread update should really solidify the firmware making the custom roms that much better and keep me going with it that much longer.

23. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    I noticed the "not registering keystrokes" issue on my Epic's slide out keyboard too. Is this common? Is it a software issue that will likely be fixed in the future?

24. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    I would think the "not registering keystrokes" issue is a software issue that can be fixed?

25. ZiggSVO

ZiggSVO Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    There are fixes, but you need to be rooted :p
    Check the videos in the link in my sig, Tschofield did, and continues to do a great job making them. Pretty easy if you follow step by step :)