• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this the best Tablet?

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
I have been waiting patiently for any news on the Prime, now im wondering how this older model compares? (i will not be buying keyboard)

I was planning on getting one for my wife, and she would get me the Prime for Christmas.

But Asus is obviously playing f*ckn games and I dont have the patience for it, so im thinking ill just buy 2 TF101's and return mine in 30 days if the Prime is out.

Wondering if this is a decent device, and if its a decent temporary tablet? We never had a Tablet before. Or is there a better 10 incher you'd suggest for my wife? Is this Transformer as good, or better than the Galaxy 10.1?

PS, wtf is with Asus? There are obviously issues .. just announce wtf is going on and be transparent about it, people will be less frustrated!

Personally there isnt too much to fault with the AEPT 1. The whole selling point (IMHO) is the dock. specs wise it's pretty much on par with the rest of the tablet competition out there based on tegra 2.

android 3.2 is pretty untainted apart from 2-3 apps loaded on there by Asus so updates are pretty frequent.

There have been a few issues with the OS releases by asus but this was rectified in due time, so right now on the latest build, there isnt much to complain.

Some say the build quality isnt that great, and i kinda agree, screen quality, light bleeding, dull pixel patches, creaking on the plastics and edges, some have had issues with the dock, the battery bleed etc etc...

but right now its just awesome and it does everything i need it to do.

I guess in your scenario w/o a dock? personally I think the tablet is still an accomplished little number but it's the dock combo that made it gadget of 2011.

Anyways, if you're returning it in like 30days, no harm in getting one and playing with it right? :)

Upvote 0
There is a reason the ASUS is priced lower than the other 10" tablets-

Mine is perfectly fine, it's one of the first batches. (B50 in the serial number) A friend has a B70 which the bezel flexes quite a bit around the glass- feels kinda cheap.

I agree, the dock is the reason I got mine. It adds a tremendous amount of battery life, and I don't email without it. Tapping on a screen just isn't the best for lots of words- call me old fashioned.

Upvote 0
I just bought mine a few days ago and i will share with you what i think

In terms of box design and everything outsidethe unit, this thing looks cheap. The stickers on my box was sliding off. Its nowhere near Apple

Once out of the box the charging cable was loose connecting to the tablet. Again this makes it feel cheap

On boot up (sorry) the font and Asus logo looks cheap again. Boot time is almost twice as long as iPad 2.

Once you get past those, which some might consider trivial points, the performance is mostly quite impressive. Out of the box, this works like a pc netbook but much faster. I much preferthe honeycomb interface than ios5.

Upvote 0
I just bought mine a few days ago and i will share with you what i think

In terms of box design and everything outsidethe unit, this thing looks cheap. The stickers on my box was sliding off. Its nowhere near Apple

Once out of the box the charging cable was loose connecting to the tablet. Again this makes it feel cheap

On boot up (sorry) the font and Asus logo looks cheap again. Boot time is almost twice as long as iPad 2.

Once you get past those, which some might consider trivial points, the performance is mostly quite impressive. Out of the box, this works like a pc netbook but much faster. I much preferthe honeycomb interface than ios5.
Agreed i have hated ios5 from the first i lost a whole 2 gigs bcuz of factory apps i ave an ipod:eek:

Upvote 0
I just got mine about a month ago. Early on, these are the things that caught my attention. I didn't realize any of these until I already purchased and had it in my hand.

No HBO GO app
No Hulu Plus App
Left speaker is WAY softer than right with no way to fix unless you root
Faulty battery chargers

On top of all of this, the one I initially got had popping coming out of the speakers. So i had to exchange it for another one.

all in all, this is still one of the best tablets on the market.

Upvote 0
i got a transformer tf101 a couple of days ago to replace a cheap chinese tab i had and i got to say im not impressed with it much at all so far. it does video from internet way better than the chinese tab( ie netflix, youtube, anything flash related) but hd video from msd sucks a*s. which sucks cause i use my tab for movies mostly. i got it cause it had tegra2 which is supposed to be a way better processor than the old arm11 processor in my chinese tab. i guess not for movies. only had tab for a few days maybe i will find im doing something wrong but not so satisfied so far

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones