• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is THIS the final Note 8 design? I think so!

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Okay folks, so we didn't get the embedded fingerprint scanner. I guess I can wait until the Note 9 for that... but at least Sammy put a little more distance between the scanner and the camera lenses this time! Considering that we're roughly 6-8 weeks out from launch, I'm fairly confident that this is the final and the Note 8 is now in production. This design has been sent out to case manufacturers, so take a deep breath, click the link and enjoy the beauty that is the Note 8!

https://androidcommunity.com/mobile...or-pre-order-before-official-launch-20170630/

:D

I can't use Samsung face recognition yet because my glasses booger it up... and I refuse to remove my glasses over and over just to log in. I don't adapt to my tech: it adapts to ME. So the fingerprint scanner is very useful for me, for logging into the phone, apps and websites. I just really hope Samsung did enough testing to make sure that people can reach it comfortably!

I'm pretty sure that Samsung issued the Note Fan Edition as a compromise to environmental groups who were apoplectic about the company just trashing millions of cell phones into a landfill. Like that doesn't happen anyway, all over the world...

I still have not heard any word on a prospective discount for those of us who endured TWO Note 7 recalls. That would be awfully nice, Samsung!
    ;)

Reactions: major2112
    Upvote 0
    As long as we're all drooling for the Note 8, they won't offer a discount. We'll shell out the money anyway and they know it... and it's a LOT of money! I know flagships have been inching toward the $1000 mark for years: but it looks like the Note 8 will blow right through it.

Here's a new leaked picture of the Note 8 and I'm confident that this is the FINAL product. Case makers are already verifying the placement of the dual cameras, LED-heartrate sensor and fingerprint scanner. At least the fingerprint scanner has a little more distance from the cameras this time. And VR with this thing should be great!

Just 45 days to go!

Note8.png

Reactions: major2112
    Upvote 0
    I can't use Samsung face recognition yet because my glasses booger it up... and I refuse to remove my glasses over and over just to log in. I don't adapt to my tech: it adapts to ME. So the fingerprint scanner is very useful for me, for logging into the phone, apps and websites. I just really hope Samsung did enough testing to make sure that people can reach it comfortably!

I'm pretty sure that Samsung issued the Note Fan Edition as a compromise to environmental groups who were apoplectic about the company just trashing millions of cell phones into a landfill. Like that doesn't happen anyway, all over the world...

I still have not heard any word on a prospective discount for those of us who endured TWO Note 7 recalls. That would be awfully nice, Samsung!
    ;)

Note7 is still banned from planes though. In fact on Sunday I did observe they still were telling everyone at the airport security check, and on the aircraft as well, Samsung Galaxy Note7 is not welcome here. And if caught with one it's punishable by a large fine and jail time.

I had a my Note7 recalled as well, even though the Chinese versions were originally supposed to be safe. No more Samsungs for me still.

Upvote 0
    Not worth it. No way a smarphone should cost over $1000USD. No friggin' way!
    Just for a stylus? What the ++++ does that stylus do?

We said the same thing at the $700 price point, then the $800 price point, then the $900 price point...
    ;)

To answer your question, though, the S Pen is a lot more than just a stylus. It's not just a stick that lives in the phone. The S Pen has been improved and streamlined over the years into a power-user accessory: you can jot down quick memos with the screen off; take notes and store them, select and capture parts of the screen, scroll capture for long threads of text, translate blocks of text, create GIFs by trimming video clips and - oh yeah - draw with it, using over 4000 pressure points. When the original Note was introduced (and laughed off as being ridiculously large), it wasn't the screen size that won over Note fans... it was the S Pen functionality. That was six years ago: and with every new Note version the S Pen gets better and better.

:)

Upvote 0
    @dontpanicbobby Have you used the Galaxy S8 or S8+? My Darling Bride has the S8+, and I had the same concern about comfort and functionality in hand. Surprisingly, the Infinity Display works well in the hand and there are no accidental swipes or presses. Plus the Edge functions work well.

@codezer0 enjoy your nice long nap!

I understand WHY Samsung chose the 3300 mAh battery, even though the S8+ has a 3500 mAh battery. The S8 doesn't have an S Pen taking up space in there. However, the S8 lasts SO LONG without a recharge, thanks to great power management and a super-efficient Snapdragon 835 processor, that I really don't predict any issues with the Note 8 running out of battery at a really bad time.

But this Note 5 is becoming SO erratic (especially the Bluetooth! GRRRRR) that I'm way past ready for this phone to come out!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones