1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General is this true with the display of SGS-2 !

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by augustya, Nov 27, 2011.

1. augustya

augustya Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    Couple of my friends have been facing this problem with their new SGS-2 that they have bought and the buzz is, it is a problem with the Super Amoled Plus Display itself. is it a problem with all the SGS-2 Handsets all across the world or is it only in isolated cases.The description of the problem is as follows:

Somebody wrote this to me...

"Set Auto-brightness to off, reduce the brightness level to zero, If the yellow patch is significant, it should show up pretty much on any background, just look at the left side of screen.

Better still, do this in a dim lit room, with a white background, if you want to be sure [​IMG]

Then the color banding can be observed on a grey background I guess.

Most of these issues won't show up in normal usage, suppose I see banding only when some dialog box pops up, the greyed out background clearly shows red and blue bands, sometimes they show up faintly on some backgrounds, that too only if you observe clearly."

How can anyone go ahead and make a decision to buy the SGS-2 if it has this display problem ?? :eek:

Advertisement

2. KTP

KTP Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    i have heard a few people say they have had this problem but from my own experience my phone has been fine and so has everyone elses that i know

3. augustya

None

Sep 19, 2010

But have you carried out this test, Have you lowered your phone's brightness and then opened a white background to see, if there is a yellow Band or a Blue tinge that is visible ?

4. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Had the phone for over 6 months and never noticed anything like this, mine doesnt have this problem. :)

5. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Computer Tech & Audio Engineer
    Peterborough - UK
    High brightness, low brightness, middle brightness... my phones fine.

Go and buy the phone.

:)

6. skimminstones

skimminstones Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2009
    my display is perfectly fine. Why on earth anyone would go through that procedure to purposely look for a fault i dont know. The phone is fine, the display is fine.

7. augustya

None

Sep 19, 2010
    Because that is when it shows up ! :p

8. GG1

GG1 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Just did the test and....and...and...NOTHING! Screen is perfect.
    Go buy the phone.

9. awiseman

awiseman Newbie
    None

Aug 27, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    If it does not annoy you through normal usage, why bother to find fault.

10. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    My phone has a slight yellow tint but I don't obsess over such things. It's barely noticeable.

11. adamantell

adamantell Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Sales
    England
    no prob here

12. paddylaz

paddylaz Member
    None

Nov 8, 2011
    London
    Hi Augustya,

To be honest mate I'm a little surprised at some of the responses you've got above. In my opinion there IS a fair to good chance that you WILL encounter/notice at least one (possibly more if you're unlucky) of the following issues:

-Yellow tint at bottom or left side of screen at low brightness (described by some as 'sickly' yellow).
    -Horizontal or vertical grey lines about 1/2mm thick at very low brightness.
    -Green hue at low brightness
    -Significantly differing brightness 'ranges' available when viewing different gs2 handsets in comparison

Also:
    -blue tint affecting whole of screen either constantly or when phone is tilted left and right from your eye.
    -Whites not as white as other phones....e.g. the phone-that-shall-not-be-named.
    -Over saturation of colours

You'll notice I've called these 'issues' and not problems. The reason why is (I'm only a layman so take the following with a pinch of salt) I think the super amoled plus screen is a fantastic technology but obviously one that's open to some fluctuations in quality control. Nearly all these issues disappear (with the exception of the ones under the 'Also' heading...) when you raise the brightness to decent or higher levels.

Finally, the three I've mentioned under the 'Also' heading......these are pervasive to most gs2's - rather than being a flaw, this is just the 'way' the super amoled plus technology is. You'll notice for instance that in its defence, the blacks on the gs2 are MUCH deeper and richer and the colours more vibrant than any none super-amoled plus phone on the market.

Ps. This is still the best phone in the world in my opinion, so yes, buy it!

Pps. I bought my gs2 from a (supposedly) reliable phone website....when I got it I realised the seal had been broken. I experienced nearly all of the issues above and realised through some tell-tale signs that they had tried to sell me a 2nd hand phone that had already been sent back to them. I did a sort of 'pub crawl' of phone shops during this period looking at the displays of MANY MANY gs2's so have become something of an expert on this topic!

13. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Evidence:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...e-any-lines-spots-burnt-into-your-screen.html

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/444844-do-i-have-problem-my-screen.html

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/349649-yellowish-tint-left-side-screen.html

Verdict:
    Yes some devices have display issues. Most however don't, as witnessed by the number sold and happily used. You may be unlucky and get a faulty one.... in which case you return it and request a replacement. Chances are, however, that it will be perfectly fine.

14. lobo76

lobo76 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    I have to agree with paddy. If it is so hard to spot the yellow tint, and not noticeable during normal usage (using it in the dark is abnormal usage, and not really good for the eyes), why bother?

15. paddylaz

paddylaz Member
    None

Nov 8, 2011
    London
    Of all the phones I looked at on my little research mission, i'd say 70% had one of the things that I mentioned in my first section....and nearly 100% could be said to have the bluish tint and not-as-white whites mentioned in my second paragraph under the heading 'also'.

I think the most sensible thing for you Augustya is to buy it from a shop as opposed to the internet so you can explain to the guy there during purchase and get him to allow you to use the handset before you leave the store. If it's a store worth its salt then they shouldn't have a problem with this.

One more thing:

This isn't related to the screen as much, but I feel obliged to tell you here because it would be a little unethical not to since you're about to spend a lot of money: the biggest problem facing the GS2 is the camera 'pink spot' issue....which is extremely well documented on the internet, youtube and every gs2 forum going. Mine has it, my last gs2 has it, and chances are you will have it. Just check out the phone before you buy it dude.....it's a great handset, you just got to decide how much you're going to let such niggles get to you and then make a judgement call.