1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Is TiBu with Custom ROM needed?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Radeon962, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Radeon962

Radeon962 Newbie
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    Looking for some clarification...

Titanium Backup is to be used to backup apps, freeze apps or delete apps after root.

If I flash CWM then I can just do a full backup prior to flashing a ROM.

If I go ahead and flash a custom ROM, such as UnNamed, then all of the AT&T bloatware is already removed as part of the UnNamed ROM. Once UnNamed was running fine, then I could do another Nandroid backup before trying out a different ROM.

So, is TiBu really needed if I plan on flashing custom ROM's as most custom ROM's can be affected if you restore system app's from the TiBu in the custom ROM as they have most likely been changed by the developer of the ROM.

I can see where TiBu would be nice if you were just rooting but not flashing a ROM, and wanted to freeze or remove certain app's, but if I plan on flashing a custom ROM, the bloatware should already be removed?

Thanks, Bill

Advertisement

2. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Male
    IT Manager
    NY
    you dont "need" TiBu. It just makes life a little easier if you want to restore a few apps after flashing a new rom. With a custom rom, the bloat is removed so you dont need TiBu for that, unless the dev kept an app or two that you dont want, then you can use TiBu. If you use TiBu, NEVER restore system data. Just backup and restore your apps and the app data.

jasvncnt1 likes this.
  3. Radeon962

Radeon962 Newbie
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    Thanks. That's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure as I have read about some bad things when restoring with TiBu with UnNamed but it is most likely due to someone restoring system data.

4. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Male
    IT Manager
    NY
    yep. dont restore system data. Just backup your apps+appdata and you'll be fine.