• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TheTrueSpin

Android Enthusiast
May 21, 2010
My girlfriend, who generally hates technology, wants to get a Samsung Galaxy S. I have a Desire so am familiar with Android, but I have heard a lot about the Touch Wiz interface... more specifically... how bad it can be.

Does it slow the phone down or is it ok? I hear conflicting reports.

My girlfriend, who generally hates technology, wants to get a Samsung Galaxy S. I have a Desire so am familiar with Android, but I have heard a lot about the Touch Wiz interface... more specifically... how bad it can be.

Most of the people saying Touch Wiz is bad are referring to earlier versions but the brand new Samsung Phones including the Galaxy S are using 3.0 which looks like a vast improvement over earlier incarnations.

I will be getting my Galaxy tomorrow so can give you my view on it but i guess at the end of the day its all going to come down to personal preference more than anything else.

Upvote 0

The Galaxy-S comes with TouchWiz 3. TouchWiz 3 is an ENTIRELY different beast from previous versions (the only phones with version 3 right now are the Galaxy-S and the Wave). There are videos of TouchWiz 3 posted around these forums. You should check them out and decide for yourself. :)

Upvote 0
I'm on the Behold II waiting for the Galaxy S to come out and, at first I liked the TouchWiz [2.0], but it's also my first Android. After trying out a ROM matching more like stock Android, I don't like TouchWiz 2 at all. But this new one looks much better, except I wish the app list would go up and down instead of left-right...just 'cause I like swiping my finger up more. :p

Upvote 0
I'm on the Behold II waiting for the Galaxy S to come out and, at first I liked the TouchWiz [2.0], but it's also my first Android. After trying out a ROM matching more like stock Android, I don't like TouchWiz 2 at all. But this new one looks much better, except I wish the app list would go up and down instead of left-right...just 'cause I like swiping my finger up more. :p

You can change it to look that way. Some of the videos said you could switch it if you liked the standard way more.

Upvote 0
TouchWiz 3.0 has several nice features that aren't in standard Android and the more I see of it, the more satisfied I get. A nice feature that isn't talked about that often is that you can switch pages on the home screen and app drawer with a single push of a button (on the page numbers at the top). I liked the pinch zoom function on the home screen in HTC's Sense but this is even quicker than that (and, as said, also works in the app drawer to boot).

As already noted in the thread it seems to be running very smoothly as well so I would say it's an improvement on the standard Android GUI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones