1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Is Touchdown really necessary after 2.2 update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Swiftman, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Swiftman

Swiftman Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Ohio
    I just updated to the new official vzw 2.2 this morning and was wondering if there is still a need to use Touchdown? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Advertisement

2. psipher

psipher Active Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    San Diego, CA
    2.2 deletes the "Corporate Directory" app, so you can't search the Exchange GAL for phone numbers that aren't in you Contacts already.
    Not sure if you can do this in Touchdown or not.

3. SBelli

SBelli New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    I still think it is. TouchDown is an awesome app. Not sure I'd want to live w/o it.

4. Swiftman

Swiftman Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, the Global Address search is available in Touchdown. Sad to hear the Corporate Dirctory is not there. I wonder if its in the Contacts lookup? Will have to look.

Thanks for the responses!

5. trentmh

trentmh Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I discovered that the corporate directory lookup app was missing myself this morning and was a bit upset, however, at least under the Contacts application, if you search for a name that it doesn't find in your local address book, it will present you with GAL functionality.

I haven't spent allot of time in the email app to see if I can get GAL to work inside that application, but so far I cannot.

Still, the functionality is at least there.

6. NWEng

NWEng Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I reinstalled TD just a little while ago, I didn't like the way that all other email besides Gmail was lumped together as far as settings went and having to choose a default account. At least with TD, I can keep my personal email very much separated from work email and configured differently.

7. thenew3

thenew3 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    CA
    2.2 still doesn't work correctly with our notifylink system. still have to use touch down. :(

8. mchung53

mchung53 Well-Known Member

2.2 fixed the exchange problems for me. Even though they removed the "corporate directory" you can still search you Exchange GAL in your contacts.

9. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Guys

I can't find any new GAL contacts under contacts - when I search for joseph S for eg which doesn't exist in my local android, it should look for all joseph's whose last name starts with s

Can anybody tell me step by step how to work this?

Thanks

10. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    For me, having TD is worth it just for the fact that I don't have to enter the (IT required) pin every time I slide to unlock the phone. I only have to enter the pin when I actually start TD.

11. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    My Exchange email worked fine before and after the OWA update. What was the problem?

12. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    The only universal problem under 2.1 was, IIRC, that the notifications were flaky. Of course, there were other issues that weren't as widespread. It was the notification issue that prompted Moto to give out the TD licenses.

13. 2horses

2horses Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    New Braunfels, TX
    I still don't get an LED notification of an email, even with Touchdown. Do y'all? And I have the OTA 2.2 as of this past Saturday night.