1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is UD really that good?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ADos, Oct 26, 2010.

1. stmartin84

stmartin84 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info. What have you heard as to kernels that work best with UD that give people the best battery life, etc.? I am aware that you said it's dependent on each particular droid, but there must be a majority of each. Like I said, I think with UD1.0 it comes with Slayhers 1.0ghz and everything seems to be working great. I installed it last month and it's been smooth. I noticed my battery is much, much better than stock, but I want something that would get me through the day on medium to semi high level of use.

I'm assuming ULV would give you better battery than LV? I just installed 1.1 ULV and it seems really quick. I used that "second link" you referred to so I'm assuming it does everything automatically. I set it to ondemand and moved the min clock to 250 and the high to 1.1. Hope this won't drain my battery and actually give me better battery life.

Profiles? How do you set profiles?

Is there an app to monitor current speed, temp, etc. since I guess overheating is a problem?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member

No problem. From what I have read, everyone is using different kernels.

It could save your battery, but again, that just depends on how your Droid reacts to it.

Check this out about profiles: SetCPU for Root Users.

I use SetCPU and that is what I linked you to for the profiles. I also use TempMonitor, but that just tells me what my temps are. To automatically alter your min/max based on temps, you can use profiles in SetCPU.

Kratos

stmartin84 likes this.
  3. stmartin84

OK, so I installed SetCPU, and once I did, my phone is now going into a bootloop. Everything was fine until I installed that, I guess I should try flashing a different Kernel?

How do I get it out of the bootloop?

4. kratos

VIP Member

Chances are that you kernel is not going to play well with your Droid. Just pull the battery, then boot into recovery and flash a different kernel. Since I have had suck luck with the 1.1GHz LV, maybe try that one next and see what happens.

Kratos

5. stmartin84

Doing it now. It's quite bazaar that it started just as I was configuring SetCPU. I wonder if it had something to what I was messing around inside the program?

6. kratos

VIP Member

I've had a couple kernels that I have tried that have done similar things before. One let me use it for about an hour and then I tried to make a phone call. That's when my phone automatically rebooted and was in a boot loop. I reverted to my trusty 1.1 LV and all was well again. Another one let me use it for about 10 minutes and then automatically rebooted my phone and was in a boot loop. Mostly though, if a kernel is not going to work with my Droid, I know it on the first boot (loop).

If you are changing any of the settings in the advanced tab, then yes, SetCPU may have done something to cause this. Otherwise, it was probably just the kernel.

Also, make sure you have turned off the built in governor in UD Settings.

Kratos

7. stmartin84

OK, did a nandroid back to how it was this morning. Configured my SetCPU program, but how would you recommend the values to be and priorities that would give you best performance with great battery life? Along with Temp settings etc. Thanks for all your help, but a run down would be great.

In the meantime I'm going to install 1.1GHz LV and see if it works.

8. stmartin84

Noted. Thank you. I just turned off the built in governor in UD. This was NOT done before the loop. Could that have caused the problem while I was configuring SetCPU?

9. stmartin84

OK, installed your trusty 1.1GHz LV and it seems to be stable without a bootloop. Time will tell, but I would still appreciate you helping me with the items above.

Also, where can I download Slayers kernel that came with the UD 1.0? I would like to download that one just in case the Chevy's act up.

10. kratos

VIP Member

Well I set mine up so that CPU and battery temp both have a priority of 100 and I have set the tep for both to around 43-44 C (can't remember exactly right now). Then, I just put in the rest with one less on the priority and used my best guess as to what the value should be. Example, I have plugged in to AC at 99, plugged into USB at 98, battery lower than 40 at 97, battery lower than 30 at 96, etc.

The max values are totally up to you. When my phone is plugged in, I have the max set to 1100, when the temp goes higher than 43-44 I bring the max down to 400, when the battery gets below 40% I bring the max down to 800, and when the battery is below 30% I bring the max down to 550.

I tend to tweak these from time to time to obtain the optimal balance between performance and battery life. You can start with that and then play around with it to find when your Droid best fits in.

As for the stock kernel that comes with UD 2.0.0, I am not sure where the stand alone kernel is, but will look for you.

Kratos

stmartin84 likes this.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews