• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is USB Mass Storage Available rather than MTP

crazybrit

Lurker
Sep 29, 2012
So I went into T-Mobile to transfer over my AT&T Atrix 2 phone and the guy snapped off the sim contacts trying to install a SIM adapter. They ended up giving me a new LG Optimus F6.

On my old Atrix2 I have the following three USB options: Mass Storage, MTP and PTP

On the F6 I have 4 options; Charge Only, MTP, LG Software and PTP

Is there any way to get the equivalent of the Atrix2 Mass Storage, which worked always.

On the F6 I've tried the "LG Software" and "MTP". Right now it's setup as MTP. Every time I connect the phone to my Windows 7 (x86_64) machine the phone displays a USB status of "Connected as an installer", Windows opens a window to the autorun folder on the phone. Either it sits there for 30 seconds or I have to manually click on the drive letter at which point the phone switches to "Media Sync (MTP)".

This is kind of annoying plus there is another problem, I can drag and drop files from the desktop to the phone via MTP but certain apps cannot save directly to the phone, error out. Also I get errors (device stopped responding) if I try to copy large amounts of files (music) over MTP to the phone.

On the F6 I've tried the "LG Software" and "MTP". Right now it's setup as MTP. Every time I connect the phone to my Windows 7 (x86_64) machine the phone displays a USB status of "Connected as an installer", Windows opens a window to the autorun folder on the phone. Either it sits there for 30 seconds or I have to manually click on the drive letter at which point the phone switches to "Media Sync (MTP)".
Microsoft decision, and a bad one IMO. There should be an "always do this" type of checkbox on the autorun menu. Check that before clicking on the phone's drive.

Also I get errors (device stopped responding) if I try to copy large amounts of files (music) over MTP to the phone.
Don't quote me on this one because I haven't analyzed Microsoft's USB firmware, but from similar situations and tests I've run, I'd say that's a failing of Windows. I've had it happen transferring files to/from a phone, an SD card, an external drive and a network, all via USB. Not too much in common there, except Windows and USB, so ...

Upvote 0
Microsoft decision, and a bad one IMO. There should be an "always do this" type of checkbox on the autorun menu. Check that before clicking on the phone's drive.

There is but this has no effect on the fact that the phone always displays "Connected as an installer".

It always cycles through this first. The phone is first mapped to "CD Drive (H) LGE Mobile". You change the auto play so that it opens that folder but all this contains is the autorun files.

Either once this times out or once you click on the "CD Drive (H) LGE Mobile" entry in the "Computer" view, H is unmounted and a "Portable Device" LG-D500 appears and the phone switches from "Connected as an installer" to "Media Sync (MTP)"

Basically I'd like to bypass the stupid installer step.

Upvote 0
It will connect as installer always first to check your drivers. If you don't have "ask on connection" checked in your settings, it will remain in installer mode til you click on mtp, lg, or ptp after you plug in the usb. Still doesn't work, delete the drivers from windows and install fresh from lg. Still doesn't work, root the b#@ch and tell it what to do.

Sorry, didn't realize the date of submission.

Upvote 0

Don't quote me on this one because I haven't analyzed Microsoft's USB firmware, but from similar situations and tests I've run, I'd say that's a failing of Windows. I've had it happen transferring files to/from a phone, an SD card, an external drive and a network, all via USB. Not too much in common there, except Windows and USB, so ...

Microsoft didn't remove the USB mass storage option from Android. My phone used to be able to be recognized by all computers and stereos. Now it is recognized by about 5% of them. It that Android's version of progress?

Upvote 0
From what I've read these are issues with Android 4.1-4.3 . Android 4.4 doesn't do this. My Android 4.2 tablet uses MTP, my wife's tablet that she just got has 4.4 and it mounts as mass storage. It's the way the system was written to read, write and manage storage.
LOL it's device manufacturer's policy not the android! if LG makes a phone w/out mass storage function, I doubt it will suddenly appear after applying KK update...;)

EDIT: updated my SGE2 from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2, NO MASS STORAGE FUNCTION appeared!;)
for samsung phones there are app on gplay to use phone as mass storage. however it's so f**kin' buggy that's almost screwed up my phone (not completely of course, but i needed to reset phone then!!:mad:)

Upvote 0
LOL it's device manufacturer's policy not the android! if LG makes a phone w/out mass storage function, I doubt it will suddenly appear after applying KK update...
ECHO... Yes this is NOT a Microsoft, Windows X, Android, or even a carrier (MetroPCS) issue. The fault strictly falls upon LG.

Also, the key clue here is the 3rd option on the USB connection list. It states, "LG Software / Connect to PC software for LG mobile." And since you were able to view the autorun directory, you should have been able to see the "config.ini" file. From there we can see that the first thing it does is install "tools\LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN38AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.8.1.msi". Then downloads the pc software "pcsuite_download_url = \LGPCSuite\Autorun\LGPCSuite_Setup.exe". Then checks if you are using XP and if so downloads a Windows Media Player update. Checking all this leads to the possibility that there is NO way to mount a drive letter using USB. HOWEVER...

Now, just by chance I stumbled upon an ugly way to connect the computer / phone and mount as a drive letter. Go to 'Settings' >> 'Share & Connect' >> 'File networking'. And check off 'Share my folder'. Then using Windows Explorer go to "\\192.168.0.0" (where 192.168.0.0 is the ip address of the phone) or you can try "\\LGMS500". Now I have my network setup differently so in order for me to use "\\LGMS500", I first have to use the ip address. Then just map a drive letter to "\\LGMS500\LG-NetworkFolder".

Edit:
scripting command
net use p: \\LGMS500\LG-NetworkFolder
-or-
net use p: \\LGMS500\LG-NetworkFolder mypassword /user:LGMS500

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones