• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Verizon going to screw up the Incredible launch?

dvdivx

Android Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2010
I've worked in the telecom industry for years with several of Verizon's biggest competitors. I know a potential problem when I see one. I can just see the preorders getting royally screwed up because an exec goes overboard on "closing the holes" of orders going out early.

This will especially be a problem for those trying to port numbers to Verizon. Porting numbers can run into problems and there will be no time to fix them so the orders will just wait past the launch date.

So instead of the normal headlines on blogs about the incredible being available or people showing them off it will be "Verizon's Incredibly bad launch"

What?
A few preorders went out early. A few. They are over represented here on the forum because the type of people on this forum are probably more likely to pursue the preorder via phone than others.

It's not like this is the first time VZW has released an Android phone, or any high end smartphone for that matter.

Upvote 0
I think Verizon got off on the right foot with this launch allowing preorders. Much better then making people stand in line in at the store, not sure if you will actually get one on launch day, as with the Storm launch. I am not sure if a few orders prematurely shipped constitutes a botched launch.

Upvote 0
It isn't that some went out early it's going overboard to stop them going out early. It's far to common for execs to have really bad decisions. Waiting until the 28th to run everyone's credit check and port numbers is crazy. I doubt they have a large backroom staff for that since they wouldn't be needed except during large launches.

Upvote 0
Plus, it gives them some idea of the popularity of the phone so they know better how to gauge interest and handling inventory. I talked to a CS phone rep today and he said it's been EXTREMELY popular. He kinda sounded surprised. When I asked through if he felt like they would run out of stock, he didn't think at this point it would be a problem. However, made me super happy that I preordered!

He did give some possibility to the idea that they might ship some other orders early. He said they don't see the orders in the system until we receive a shipping confirmation via email. Then the orders are active systemwide. But he said he thought they were doing that in order to fill preorders in the order that they were received. He said for instance if there 1000 phones and 1005 preorders but another shipment due in in 3 days, they wouldn't want to send out a shipping confirmation on the last 5 orders until the new shipment arrived.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones