1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is VZW still the best place to buy off-contract?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hkklife, May 23, 2011.

1. hkklife

hkklife Member

I am seriously considering buying an X2 @ full price (since I am not eligible for renewal until April of 2012) and giving my gently used X to my wife.

I haven't followed this much lately but I assume that VZW is still my "best" bet for buying a brand-new X2 at full retail price ($450)? Assuming I don't luck out and find a phenomenal deal on Craigslist or E-bay in the next week or so?

VZW corporate discounts only cover monthly service and accessories and not full-priced harware, right?
    Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. addictedtocars

addictedtocars Well-Known Member

I have been debating a X2 at full price just to lock in unlimited data since I am thinking VZ will give you 4G Unlimited data if you have an exisiting 3G Unlimited plan then I'll wait for a Bionic. In my searching I have not found anyone selling the X2 off contract for anywhere near the $449 VZ is showing, everywhere else is well over $500.

3. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert

I don't even know if they sell off-contract, but if you're near a CostCo you might want to check there...

4. hkklife

hkklife Member

Yup, back a looooong time ago, the local Costo wireless kiosk was the cheapest to buy phones off-contract. Back in early '06 I vividly remember buying a RAZR V3M there for less than it was going for from VZW. But at some point in the past 2-3 years I *think* they changed their policies and now only sell phones on contract. Still might be worth a shot, though.

5. ZeroOveride

ZeroOveride Member

Best Buy will not match VZW's price but call some of your local Authorized Resellers and tell them VZW has it for $449 and see if they will sell it to you. I got my local on to match the price and for the time being loving my DX2

6. I'm not really saying anything others havn't. But, I ended up picking it up from VZW. I have corporate discount and there was no discount on the phone. Just accerssories and the plan. Also, as someone else mentioned above, it does appear costco doesn't sell phones off plan.

All in all, VZW did seem by the far the cheapest for off contract. That said, I think it's awesome you are considering going this route, this is what i just did last week.

7. Oh, and they use two day shipping so you will get it quite quick.

8. jntdroid

jntdroid Android Enthusiast

Best Buy's buyback program is great for buying stuff off contract since the retail price will be so high.

9. hkklife

hkklife Member

Hmmm, thanks for the tip but I don't "trust" Best Buy for anything after the immediate sale. In general, I take good care of my equipment and sell it via CL, E-Bay or private marketplace forums after I am done with it and almost always come out better than if I did a "trade in" program.

Also, I think BB's DX2 full retail price is $150-$200 higher than VZW's. I would just rather pay the lowest out of pocket price now and be done with it.

Interestingly enough, for about 2 months after the DX launch last year, two of my local Super Wal-Marts were actually selling the DX for about $120 less at full price than VZW was. Then both suddenly pulled their DX's and they were gone until around the holidays when they reappeared and full price had been jacked up by $200 or so, pricing it above even BB's price.

With the demise of 1yr contracts across the board, I would really love to see someone--Moto direct, Amazon, Newegg, Costco--shake up the industry by selling new CDMA, LTE and GSM handsets at full price and undercutting the carriers' prices. It'll never happen but it would be nice to see...

Anyway, my plan now is to wait until next week, see what happens on the Gingerbread update front, then make my move and probably just get a DX2 from VZW.

10. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

I am debating buying one for $449, or $170 with two year. Not sure.......

11. Tonysracing

Tonysracing Member

I just picked up a Droid X2 today at Best Buy. I asked if they could price match Verizon's website, and after 2 minutes the manager said no problem. $450 +Tax and out the door i went, plus got the Reward Zone points.
    I tried a VZW Corp store first, told me they aren't available in store yet, they don't have any idea when they will be in store, and told me i could go home and order it online. He didn't even offer to order it for me.

Anyway, I'm happy!

12. ZeroOveride

ZeroOveride Member

Surprised. The Local Best Buys here refuse to see a phone without a contract and require a contract renewal. Plus, it is $599 and they feel the price match policy does not apply to cell phones.

Motorola Droid X2 Forum

The Motorola Droid X2 release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1540mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews