• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is wifi tether for root dead in 2.2 yes or no?

I can do that to.... but can you actually tether?

I've got the latest rooted netarchy odexed OTA, the latest netarchy froyo kernel, and I just can't get wifi tether to work.

This is the wifi tether app I was using on 2.1:
android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

I'm now updated with the same rom and kernel as you, and tethering works. If you're not using the above tether app, give it a try. It's labeled for 2.1 but it should still work. Or, if that's what you were using all along, try uninstalling/reinstalling.

Upvote 0
This is the wifi tether app I was using on 2.1:
android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

I'm now updated with the same rom and kernel as you, and tethering works. If you're not using the above tether app, give it a try. It's labeled for 2.1 but it should still work. Or, if that's what you were using all along, try uninstalling/reinstalling.

Which version. I have the Pre 7 version installed and it isnt working.

Upvote 0
The common problem is the teather app starts and appears to be working. But if you try to actually use it with a wifi device, it will not get an IP.

That is the behavior if you have the stock ROM without the custom kernel. I saw this as well. Once I flashed the netarchy froyo kernel, my laptop saw my evo as an access point (infrastructure mode) and connected. I pinged for connectivity (4.2.2.2) on the laptop and they came back.

So if you're still having issues, make sure that you flash ROM first, then flash the netarchy kernel. Most ROMs come with a kernel, so if you install the ROM last, you overwrite the custom netarchy kernel.

Upvote 0
Other things to check:

It takes about a minute after I turn on tethering for the INFRASTRUCTURE mode to kick in. The AD-HOC mode is available immediately.

Once you connect with your wifi device (e.g. laptop), check your Access Control setting. If you have that enabled, you have to manually accept the connection.

Make sure your phone isn't plugged in to a computer while you are trying to get this to work. I've had issues getting tether working while the phone was plugged in to a computer USB. No issues when it was plugged into a charger.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
For what it's worth, those that are a little gun shy about using the Netarchy kernel and are worried about losing use of the 8MP camera, only able to use 3MP.

The kernel only affects the stock camera app, I still have the 8MP option in my Camera replacement app (Camera 360)

Flash stock kernal change camera to 8mp then flash back netarchy's kernal

Thats what i did and it works fine

snap20100804_133349.png

Upvote 0
The stock ROM alone won't have wifi tethering enabled, since Sprint wants to charge you for it. However, if you get ANY of the reputable 2.2 custom kernels (or a ROM that contains said custom kernel), you will be able to wifi tether. If you want to preserve the stock look and feel but have the bonus features, check out this kernel:

[Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, updated for 2.2 - Version 3.7.6c - xda-developers

Flashing this kernel also gets you USB and wifi tethering as well as the boost in framerates and disabled perflock (enables CPU throttling).

Reminder: do a nandroid backup before flashing anything. Make it a habit :)

I think this will the one I try out this weekend.

Upvote 0
Ok I am using the newest Fresh 2.2 ROM I have the kernel netarchy-toastmod-froyoized-3.7.8b-fresh-compatible-signed, but i still can not get it to work. I uninstalled wifi tether all together and reinstalled the newed version of Wifi and still cant connect. I am not connected using the USB HMMMMM

Use this....wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre6.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre6 *** EXPERIMENTAL ** - Project Hosting on Google Code

Version 7 is said not to work with that kernal

Reactions: autorail1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones