• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is your Active making Emergency calls, too?

Evil.Bonsai

Android Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2011
Austin, TX
So, four times now my Active has made Emergency calls. What appears to be happening is I keep my phone in my pocket, with glass facing my leg, the HOME button is getting pressed, which activates the screen (WTF Samsung?! You NEED to let us turn THAT off!), then as the phone rubs against my leg (the screen is sensitive enough WITHOUT activating glove mode) and hitting the EMERGENCY CALL button. I've accidentally called 911 2x, and my mom and sister once each (they're emergency contacts).

I'm going to try to keep the phone with the glass facing outwards, which just feels wrong, but at least my leg can't activate the EMERGENCY CALL button, even if screen turns on.

Another is to find one of those flap-style cases. I've seen them for the S4, but not the Active, yet.

Upvote 0
I've not had that problem yet, and I keep mine in my pocket the same way you do.
However, if you look on Amazon, I have seen the flap style cases you are talking about on there. They even have ones that can second as a wallet.

Amazon.com: Wallet Case Flip Cover & Stand for Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I9295 with Abacus24-7 RFID Blocking Sleeve (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

There are others as well, that's just an example.

I saw those, but was looking for the simplified version, where it's just a back replacement cover and a thin flap over the front. They were real popular when the Note came out and I've seen them for the S4, just not for the Active, yet.

Same as this, but for the Active:

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S4 Flip Cover Folio Case (Light Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0
Mine kept making emergency calls when I had a password or pattern enabled. If I had just swipe enabled, the home button would hit my leg while walking (screen facing inward) turn the screen on, get swiped to open up and then all sorts of stuff happened. Solution? I rooted it and disabled the home button. Now I can only turn it on with the power button. Dumb design if you ask me.

Upvote 0
Has a solution not been found for this yet? I just got the i537 and I called 911 twice today while I was at work, looked at my call log and realized that it called the 18th as well. Clearly the home button is being pressed against my leg, and I have the pattern lock screen equipped, but it's going to the emergency thing. So is there a way to turn off the home button or anything without rooting it yet?

I've rooted previous phones and used custom ROM's and what not, I just don't want to get into all that again and just keep my phone stock. If anybody has any sort of solution that doesn't involve rooting, I'd really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
So I've now been using this flip for the last few months and have never made a pocket emergency call since. (I had some days where it happened multiple times even with an alternate lockscreen). It replaces the back cover and is well made. Only downside is that it is not waterproof like the stock back cover

Unfortunately I can't post links yet as an anti-spam measure, but look up product number 331041824119 on ebay and you should have some luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones