• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is your battery life bad?

tune78

May 19, 2011
Ive had my phone for a week now and im getting about a not bad 12-14 hrs daily of good usage with emails, texting, youtube and surfing the web with wifi ..

the phone has been off the charger for about 12 hrs with med light level and it still has juice. im at 20% with wifi on and screen on high right now

Stand by mode I would imagine it'll do much longer times.

I use a task killer, defend juice pro (at extreme) and custom settings.

no dropped calls, and no complains on the txting :)

I get pretty good use out of my battery. At 8pm, its at about 20%,
Not a heavy user, but use a good amount of data for emails, browsing...and maybe 6-8 calls. I'm on 3g most of the time, except at home where I have wi-fi.

I do NOT have any program killers or juicedefender programs.
some people say juicedefender actually USES more battery than it saves.

I let the battery fall to about 15%, then fully charge it back....I have two spare batteries that I rotate.

I get a good 12 hours out of my phone and I'm on it constantly.

Upvote 0
I bought two extra batteries because they were absolutely necessary when I had an Incredible.

But this Optimus....it's been unplugged since 10AM, it's now 5:30, and it's at 80%. I didn't do much with it today, a little GPS/mapping, a couple of texts.

Even on a busy day it goes all day, anyhow.

I don't use task killers or juice defender or anything.

Upvote 0
Ive had my phone for a week now and im getting about a not bad 12-14 hrs daily of good usage with emails, texting, youtube and surfing the web with wifi ..

the phone has been off the charger for about 12 hrs with med light level and it still has juice. im at 20% with wifi on and screen on high right now

Stand by mode I would imagine it'll do much longer times.

I use a task killer, defend juice pro (at extreme) and custom settings.

no dropped calls, and no complains on the txting :)
IIRC doesn't juice defender turn OFF WiFi automatically when the screen turns off? (or was it goes to sleep?)

On mine I have 3G/voice on 4-5h a day, talk moderately and light data usage(kind of small to do much with except for some apps, e.g. weatherbug and such). Otherwise ALL radios(and GPS) are OFF when not in active use, and my screen brightness is set to as low as possible which is usually 0%, and I COULD get 2d of useful use out of it probably 3 but I prefer to charge it every night just in case.

Why? Well, I've used the GPS a few times and that couple with 3G/voice on and having to have the screen @ 50% or so did a good job of draining the batt from a fairly high charge(88% or so) to fairly low(40% or so) in a few hours. I'm eventually planning on buying some additional batts for when I need to use it like this though and other times when I'd have a need to "stress" it a bit more than usual.

Also I really don't do alot of gaming with it, but I do have some free ones and some that I'd purchased(Amazon/Google market).

Also I recently had AVG Antivirus installed for c. 2d and noticed a relatively HUGE increase in batt drain even though AVG was only supposed to scan installed apps when it was first installed then new and messages plus only check for updates once a week, but I still saw that batt drain. Uninstalled it and tried lookout, which I've had for about a week now and my batt drain is back to "normal" for my usage.

So I guess that it's about as good as I expected, maybe a bit better but having extra batts would also be nice for those times when you forget to charge the phone...

Upvote 0
JuiceDefender can help, but really isn't necessary. Task killers should pretty much only be used on non-rooted phones to kill off bloatware like Twidroid and Where. Almost every other use of task-killers has been proven to either decrease battery life, or decrease performance.

yeah i agree on that. i use mine as an auto kill just in case i leave any apps on like sky fire or something.

IIRC doesn't juice defender turn OFF WiFi automatically when the screen turns off? (or was it goes to sleep?)

yeah it depends what your settings are

Upvote 0
App killer doesn't do anything for 2.2. Juice defender has added about 25% for me, noticeable difference.

Then I came upon a flaw in another thread. If you turn on Airplane mode and then turn it off, it stops the problem of unusual signal hunting. Doing this added another 25%. I actually go a day on a battery now (except when my son gets a hold of it!).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones