1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Isn't really a question

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Sheal, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Sheal

Sheal Lurker

...just an experience.

I have an N5. It's 2.5 years old. I have to admit I've gotten phenomenal use out of it in the last 2.5 years (I love my N5, I'm a heavy fairly high end user - not bad for a girl right).

I was having a battery drain problem (or what I thought was that awful 6.0.1 wifi drain). I tried every thing except a battery change. Turns out (so far) it was the battery. I did every thing from downgrading to kitkat, upgrading back to marshmallow...you name it I tried all the solutions. Turns out, it was my battery.

I proudly, for the first time, changed the battery today myself (yay me, go girl). That battery was so swollen it actually partially pried the backing off itself (lucky me that it didn't decide to explode in my hand or something, it was that bad). It was stuck in the cradle because the sides were swelled too. I couldn't believe how bad it was and how very very lucky I was that nothing serious happened (it's rare, but rare doesn't mean it doesn't happen).

In all that time, I learned a lot about boot loaders, programming and how to really work with an android phone (I'm not expert by any means but I learned a lot). I wanted to say thank you to the android community for putting out all those tutorials, videos and showing laymens (or in this case laywoman) how to really work with their phones.

I'm excited to have my phone back at its full potential. I'm excited to learn more and maybe do some custom roms (holy a little confusing though, have to do some more research).

I know you all see more complaints than thank yous - so this one is a thank you post!

THANK YOU!

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Well that's cool @Sheal and welcome to the forums!!
    It is good to hear that the site and the members here have helped you out :D

That battery does look scary indeed! I've heard of batteries doing that, but never personally experienced that.
    Glad to see you narrowed the issue down and changed it out!

Cheers!

scary alien likes this.
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Welcome to our AndroidForums, @Sheal :).

Glad you got your battery sorted before something bad happened :eek:.

My daughter had to open up here N5 because of water damage...not an easy feat but she got it dried-out and back together and I'm glad you did, too.

Cheers!

Mikestony likes this.
  4. Sheal

Sheal Lurker

Thank you folks. I'm so glad to have figured it out and now I can learn and grow some more with trying custom roms.

The battery was so swollen that opening the back was really the easiest part (the bad battery did most of the work for me). I have it in a ballistics case (Kind of like an otter box but cheaper) so I didn't notice that the backing had been pushed apart.

Teaches me that I should do a visual check every so often doesn't it. Anyone got advice and ideas on custom roms? Do you use them? What do you use and what would you recommend?

Want to hear what people like and don't like and their experiences with it.

Mikestony and scary alien like this.
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Mikestony and Sheal like this.
  6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

I was able to fix the power issue with my N5 however I don't use it as a daily anymore :( i miss her lol

@Sheal congrats on your accomplishment and being a girl has no affect with intelligence ;) I do use custom ROMs 90 percent of the time. I like that I don't have to spend time shutting things down and freezing apps that I dont ever use. I also always use a custom recovery Twrp is my recovery of choice. Its one of the things I look for when getting a new device. Does Twrp have a recovery for it. I also make sure it has an bootloader unlock method before purchasing and its generally the first thing I do when I unbox the device. No need to put stuff on it then turn around and wipe it.

scary alien likes this.