1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

ISO Keep/Evernote alternative, offline & no subscription fees

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jae_63, Dec 2, 2014.

1. jae_63

jae_63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Hi,

Many years ago I used to keep lots of notes in the Palm Notepad (or whatever it was called). For a while I kept TODO lists in Astrid and RememberTheMilk.

But now I'd like to have integrated notes and TODO lists in a single app environment, which will also work when I'm offline (on both Android and Mac web browser) and automatically re-sync when I'm back online.

Google Keep can do lots of this, but there's no good way to provide category labels other than colors. Also, the only lists only support a single level of nesting.

Apparently Evernote (which I also used briefly) will do what I want, if I pay for the Premium subscription. But I hate subscriptions, although I'm glad to pay the one-time cost of a good app (like I do with B-Folders, for my passwords).

I also need/want a good way to export my data out of this ecosystem in the future. Google Keep is surprisingly weak in this regard.

Finally, a good Android voice interface would be nice. Rather than have a global "OK, Google" vocabulary, I'd like to have only one (or at most two) icons to click on, which would let me dictate a note or a list. In that voice context, I wouldn't be able to do other things like dial a phone number, check the sports scores, etc. I'm open to voice solutions which require Tasker's ecosystem.

Is there a solution which I'm overlooking? Preferably one with a desktop Chrome interface, including offline support?

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    OneNote is free on Android with multiple levels of nesting. Although PC side it isn't free. It usually does come with Windows office so there's a chance you already have it.

jae_63 likes this.
  3. jae_63

jae_63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks; after reading your message, I learned that OneNote is free for all platforms. Unfortunately to run OneNote on a Mac, one must upgrade to OS 10.9 (Mavericks), and I've been holding steady at Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5) due to horror stories about Mavericks. I'll look into OneNote some more and see whether this seems worth the effort and risk; in particular, how usable it is offline on both the Mac and Android.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?