1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps ISSUE: American in with a Chinese Advertising Company Game Dept., I know, strange.

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Dumbledorious, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2014
    Hey all, this is actually a copy from my introductory post. I hope I don't annoy anyone since I didn't read the rules first. I know, I'm in quite a hurry. Thank you for reading it!

My name is Simeon and I am an American living and working in Shanghai. I've recently acquired a position for an advertising company here as a game operator. Yes, an advertising company. I suppose they think that it would be easier for them to publish a game since they, you know, advertise internationally. However! Their mobile gaming developing dept. is quite young, like a baby. I am the only American here to help bridge the gap between them and the rest of the world.
    I don't have much experience in Android development but I do share the same attention to detail and passion for creating something amazing.
    I was going to post the problem on another post, but if you all don't mind, I want to quickly address it to you guys since this is the core reason why I joined this forum. So here is the problem (and there are many):

They have already developed and published a game on the play store for foreign markets and not China. The game is an obvious tribute to Pokemon, hence the name of this game is called, Pocket Monster (without the 'S'). This was the first problem I saw. The second is how similar the combat system and gameplay is to ALL the pokemon series. However, there is no adventure mode, as their adventure mode is a roll-the-dice board-ish kind of game. But everything is quite similar to Pokemon. Yesterday was my first day to come and work in to see how they do things. I saw these problems yesterday and I already knew that this would be hard to market, even to the hardcore Pokemon fans as this game doesn't even come close to being an honoring tribute to the game they obviously are copying. To me, they just wanted to quickly develop and release this game as a free-to-play to make quick money, and they have already started development on their second game, which is confusing.

Here is where the problem gets bigger:
    Today is my second day of work, I come in and the leader comes to me to tell me that at 5 am this morning, the game was suspended on the play store. Now they are all looking at me to fix this situation. It is quite exciting to be this busy in the first day of work but now I don't know which first step I should take. I know I should do something to get momentum but I want to know what you all would do. This game idea has potential because it reminds me of a game called Oceanhorn I play on iOS which is an obvious tribute to Zelda. But the game is so beautifully crafted with an amazing soundtrack composed by a Japanese composer and a storyline similar to Zelda. This is why I believe that with the right direction and passion to create a tribute for a classic game we all love, their game idea has potential.

Advertisement

2. ProjectLiquid

ProjectLiquid Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 14, 2014
    Senior QA Tester, Activision
    Galactic Layline
    That's pretty cool your working in China. Haha as a side note, my 2nd job is to deliver Chinese food.

Anyway, This sounds like you are getting thrown into the frying pan right away. One of the biggest things I can see being an issue that you didn't even mention.

Copyright Infringement. This is crucial! I'm not exactly sure what position you are at the company. But everyone needs to make sure that you are well clear of any potential lawsuits. Then again it may not even be a big deal. I just feel its safer to make sure.

Why did the game get suspended from the play store?
    I would find out why it got suspended first. I would then sort that out. But, since it was suspended from the market. Why not keep it down for a bit and have the team work on it some more. And honestly, why not push them to create something more unique, rather then essentially copy an already very well established idea.

I have game development experience, just not on mobile devices (yet!) so I am here to help and give advice if I can. Just don't blame me if something starts on fire.

Dumbledorious likes this.
  3. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2014
    Hey Liquid,
    Thanks for the advice! You have more game development experience than I, so it helps a lot. And yes, the copyright infringement is a problem even some of the people who played the game have emailed our team about it. I've explained this to them but they don't think anything of it. I will be asking a lot of questions along the way. Thank you again for reading and responding!