1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Issue building CM for the Spec

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Neph81, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

Question for any devs currently building CM for the Spectrum.

What is your setup?

I ask because I've been trying for the past two weeks and each build I get has the same error. Surface flinger locks the boot process and I only see a 1-2 pixel high line during the boot process.

For the record, I've tried CM 10.2 and CM11, both with the same issue. I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 and the default 4.3 toolchain that comes with the CM repo.

Thoughts or suggestions would be useful as I need to be able to do a full build in order to try and tackle the camera issue we're facing.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

I should also add that I don't believe it's a kernel issue as I can compile the kernel and stick it into any other ROM without issue. It also does not appear to be a build issue, as I receive a full .zip at the end, though it's possible some minor error is happening that I'm not seeing in the log.

3. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert

Which Java are you building with? I'm running Oracle Java 7. OpenJDK/IcedTea could be causing issues if thats what you have installed.

4. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

5. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

The java update went OK and I'm version 1.7.0_45 . The instructions on CM are outdated though and even suggest using openjdk6, which makes no sense to me. There are four packages not listed in the guide I used: gcc-multilib lib32z1-dev libxml2 lzop , so I'll install these and try another build.

Edit: Those 4 packages were already up to date, so lets see if Java7 helps any.

6. death2all110

Good luck!

Also, I use a build script i made:
    [high]
    #!/bin/sh

#Begin Build Script

source build/envsetup.sh

export USE_CCACHE=1
    croot
    time brunch vs920 2>&1 | tee build.log

#end
    [/high]

Neph81 likes this.
  7. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

No dice after updating to java 7. I'm going to try copying my build directory to my 10.10 installation and try building on there once. Any suggestions besides that, that I may try?

8. death2all110

Maybe wipe the .repo directory after you backup any local manifests and re-init the repo?

9. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

The CM 11 repo is clean as could be. Freshly made directory and device sources cloned in.

I was originally on U_10.10, but once the repo client became outdated and would no longer sync with github, which meant I had to upgrade the OS. I still keep the 10.10 around as most of my early work is there. It this builds properly tonight, I'll know it's the 13.10 install.

10. death2all110

Why'd you have to update the OS? the repo binary is standalone

11. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

Ubuntu 10.10 no longer gets app updates or patches, unless my copy is bugged out. The only way I've seen it installed on ubuntu is through apt-get. Is there another way to install/update this? If so, I'd be interested as I still have a fondness for 10.10 and only upgraded because of the repo issue.

Edit: NM, I think I just found my answer. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17226056/how-to-install-git-client-in-ubuntu-10-10 . I'll have to test it out once the files are done. Who knew 32GB took so long to copy in a VM.

12. death2all110

Code (Text):
    2. curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo
    3. chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Neph81 likes this.
  13. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

OK, I'll start out by saying that it was GIT that was outdated, not repo. That started a bit of confusion in this thread.

Anyways, I borked that VM :( . Compiled GIT, but it wouldn't use cURL. Compile cURL, but it wouldn't find OpenSSL. Compiled OpenSSL, and the system died.

Death, what OS are you building on? I'm going to start with a fresh OS and see what happens.

14. Yoinx

Yoinx Android Expert

15. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

Yoinx: Thanks for the link. I'm going to start another 13.10 box and try with openjdk per your article and see if it makes any difference.

16. death2all110

I'm on Mint 15 with Oracle Java 7

17. Yoinx

Yoinx Android Expert

Not sure it will. I'm on ubuntu 13.10, updated a bunch of packages per that guide. I get a failure line about no rule to make /usr for the kernel (though it's using the pre-built one)... My vm though locked up before I could copy the exact error.

18. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

Well, I'm guessing it's something simple/stupid that I'm overlooking at this point. I tried the BUILD_HOST_32bit=1, just to see if it changed anything on my 13.10 setup, but no dice. My repo just synced on the new 13.10 VM and I'm about to add in the vs920 files. I should know in about 3 hours if this worked or not.

19. death2all110

Yoinx use my device and kernel trees. Should fix the kernel thing.

20. Yoinx

Yoinx Android Expert

Yeah, I did. Figured I'd sync the cm repo like usual. Used your trees, build fails.

Bad part is, I'm just trying to get a good build so that I can replace the recovery and build an updated TWRP. lol.

21. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

I'm getting no issues building the kernel or the full zip. Have you tried just building the kernel as a stand alone under cyanogenmod_vs920_defconfig ?

22. Yoinx

Yoinx Android Expert

Nah. I ended up just building the recoveryimage target. That went fine, so I made some changes to what I needed to in the build tree, trying a new TWRP that I built... to see if it bricks me or not (once I finish this nandroid)

23. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

And another fail :( . Time to set up a Mint 15 box it seems.

24. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert

I am apparently not suppose to build android from source :( . The Mint 15 box had the same result. I think I give up for now. No other forum post describes the error I'm having.

LG Spectrum Forum

The LG Spectrum release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1830mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews