• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Issue building CM for the Spec

Neph81

Android Expert
Mar 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Question for any devs currently building CM for the Spectrum.

What is your setup?

I ask because I've been trying for the past two weeks and each build I get has the same error. Surface flinger locks the boot process and I only see a 1-2 pixel high line during the boot process.

For the record, I've tried CM 10.2 and CM11, both with the same issue. I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 and the default 4.3 toolchain that comes with the CM repo.

Thoughts or suggestions would be useful as I need to be able to do a full build in order to try and tackle the camera issue we're facing.

I should also add that I don't believe it's a kernel issue as I can compile the kernel and stick it into any other ROM without issue. It also does not appear to be a build issue, as I receive a full .zip at the end, though it's possible some minor error is happening that I'm not seeing in the log.

Upvote 0
The java update went OK and I'm version 1.7.0_45 . The instructions on CM are outdated though and even suggest using openjdk6, which makes no sense to me. There are four packages not listed in the guide I used: gcc-multilib lib32z1-dev libxml2 lzop , so I'll install these and try another build.

Edit: Those 4 packages were already up to date, so lets see if Java7 helps any.

Upvote 0
Maybe wipe the .repo directory after you backup any local manifests and re-init the repo?
The CM 11 repo is clean as could be. Freshly made directory and device sources cloned in.

I was originally on U_10.10, but once the repo client became outdated and would no longer sync with github, which meant I had to upgrade the OS. I still keep the 10.10 around as most of my early work is there. It this builds properly tonight, I'll know it's the 13.10 install.

Upvote 0
Ubuntu 10.10 no longer gets app updates or patches, unless my copy is bugged out. The only way I've seen it installed on ubuntu is through apt-get. Is there another way to install/update this? If so, I'd be interested as I still have a fondness for 10.10 and only upgraded because of the repo issue.

Edit: NM, I think I just found my answer. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17226056/how-to-install-git-client-in-ubuntu-10-10 . I'll have to test it out once the files are done. Who knew 32GB took so long to copy in a VM.

Upvote 0
OK, I'll start out by saying that it was GIT that was outdated, not repo. That started a bit of confusion in this thread.

Anyways, I borked that VM :( . Compiled GIT, but it wouldn't use cURL. Compile cURL, but it wouldn't find OpenSSL. Compiled OpenSSL, and the system died.

Death, what OS are you building on? I'm going to start with a fresh OS and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Yoinx: Thanks for the link. I'm going to start another 13.10 box and try with openjdk per your article and see if it makes any difference.

Not sure it will. I'm on ubuntu 13.10, updated a bunch of packages per that guide. I get a failure line about no rule to make /usr for the kernel (though it's using the pre-built one)... My vm though locked up before I could copy the exact error.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm guessing it's something simple/stupid that I'm overlooking at this point. I tried the BUILD_HOST_32bit=1, just to see if it changed anything on my 13.10 setup, but no dice. My repo just synced on the new 13.10 VM and I'm about to add in the vs920 files. I should know in about 3 hours if this worked or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones