1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root issue flashing recovery image on dell streak

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by damoshemeister, Jun 18, 2011.

1. damoshemeister

damoshemeister New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Edit: *Issue resolved*
    Ok, so I recently bought a used dell streak off of a friend, and although I like it, I don't like dell's ROM, so my main goal is to install a custom rom.(Specifically, streakdroid 2.0.0). I was able to root my phone, however I am having issues flashing the recovery image,to get to installing the custom rom. I have tried using rom manager to install clockwork, and when I do it says it installs fine, but when I tell it to reboot into clockwork, the phone just boots up normally into android.When I boot using power + vol up + vol down, it just boots into the stock recovery image. I have also tried using fastboot to flash the recovery image using the clockwork recovery image for the dell streak. The command line says the flash was completed, yet again when I boot into the recovery image it is still the dell streak stock recovery image. I have spent several hours looking how to fix it, and can't find anyone with this problem on the dell streak. I have also tried to find a way to install a custom ROM without using a recovery image, but haven't been able to do that either. Any help at all would be greatly, greatly appreciated, even a possible tip to point me in the right direction. I have spent some time tinkering around, trying to get this figured out, but just feel like I've hit a brick wall.
    For some more info about my phone, I do believe that it might be a corporate edition, I don't know if that would effect anything or not, the other details are as follows:

Model Number : Dell Streak
    Android version: 2.2.2
    Baseband version: GAUSB1A135100-US
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-perf
    OEM Version: GAUSB1A135100
    Build number : 15609

Advertisement

2. damoshemeister

damoshemeister New Member

Jun 18, 2011
    This issue has been resolved, thanks to the people who at least took the time to take a look.

3. Calab

Calab Well-Known Member

Do you mind sharing your solution?

4. metalchef

metalchef New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Chef de Cuisine/A+ Technician
    Pickering, Ontario, Canada
    in order to get custom recovery to stick -- you need to do the following:

once device is rooted, use either root explorer or file expert (w root enabled) and navigate to /system/etc and rename install-recovery.sh to, for example, __install-recovery.sh. otherwise, EVERY TIME you reboot your device, the custom recovery will be over-written, thereby preventing you from installing a custom ROM (and, FYI, StreadDroid v1.9 is still the most stable ROM out there - especially if you're one of the few who like/want to use Dell's Stage UI. it FC's in v1.9.1; and has been removed from StreakDroid5 2.0).

once you've done this, use fastboot [search XDA] to install stockmod recovery (I used 0.3.2.8). then, enter recovery by holding down VOL + / VOL - while pressing power (release power once back lights come on). select 2nd option, and from there the custom ROM zip file.

incidentally, rooting this device can be a b!tch - and, for me personally, all versions of Super One Click FAILED! (1.5.5 worked once; but after I went back to stock, 1.5.5, 1.7.1 & 1.9.5 failed) . in the end, I used [an app called] GingerBreak v1.2.

[hope this helps]

5. nish2806

nish2806 New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    ok how do we root the streak with the following info...

Model Number : Dell Streak
    Android version: 2.2.2
    Baseband version: GAUSB1A135100-EU
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-perf
    OEM Version: GAUSB1A135100
    Build number : 15609

I know that we can root 2.2.1..is it the same for 2.2.2

6. the258

the258 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Medical Distributer
    McAllen TX