• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue I have since the Froyo update

mched

Mar 31, 2010
Valencia. CA
So here is my problem....
I installed the Froyo update Wednesday morning and everything seemed fine. Last night I decided to turn on wifi and it would not connect to my network. It would say "obtaining IP address" and then disconnect. It would do this over and over. I did not have this issue on Tuesday when running 2.1. or have any issues with other devices like my ipod touch.
My home router is a b/g, 54mps, 2.4ghz by Microsoft.

I called Verizon and of course they had me reset the phone...it did not help.

The odd thing is that I am able to connect to an open network near my house as well as at work. Although the connection I get at work shuts off my bluetooth and then connects the wifi. It never did that before either.

Any thoughts?

Ugh. Networking: Theres a reason professionals in network troubleshooting can make $40+ an hour....theres a list of possible problems 6 miles long.

If you can access the routers settings, I'd start there. Try simplifying things down to using as much automatic as possible, change the channel/etc. it is using, keep the name simple ( don't use special characters, just numbers and letters. ) try temporarily removing the password ( just don't forget to re-add it later. )

If you have no clue what I'm talking about...try looking on the router for one of those tiny "reset" buttons and push that. Factory reset is always a good place to start:)

Upvote 0
I don't know the solution, but I'm having the exact same problem!! I have this old Microsoft wireless router at home, and it worked fine with my dinc until I downloaded Froyo (in fact, I was using wifi as I downloaded the update). After the phone restarted, I haven't been able to connect to wifi again since. My other devices (my laptop, my wife's laptop, my Nintendo Wii) still connect to our wireless network just fine. I've restarted the phone multiple times, and tried turning on wifi both with a widget and in Settings, and then also went into Settings and told it to forget that connection and then re-added it. I also reset both the wireless router and our cable modem. Still no go (but our other devices still connect just fine).

mched, did you ever figure out how to get yours working again?

Upvote 0
I had this problem the first couple of times I tried to connect. The third time was a charm...not sure if I was typing in my password wrong or what. The third time, though, I did have the router settings up on my computer, logged in as admin...not sure if that helped or not, but now I have no problem.

Upvote 0
I've tried re-entering the WEP key multiple times just to make sure I have it right. It should have been correct the first time anyway since I hadn't changed a thing with the Dinc or the router while updating to Froyo. When the Dinc tries to connect to my wifi now it always says "Obtaining IP address" but never finishes connecting.

The other interesting thing is that it sounds like I might have the same Microsoft wireless router as the original poster does... Maybe Google just dropped support for *anything* Microsoft related! My WMA (Windows Media Audio) songs on my SD card are screwed up since updating to Froyo too - the media player no longer shows the Artist name and the cover art doesn't come in, and if I play an album the songs play in alphabetical order instead of by song number.

Upvote 0
I have a somewhat similar issue with wifi. Since Froyo, I easily connect with full signal strength but most of the time reaching the Internet fails. This was not an issue before 2.2.

I've tried rebooting the router and sometimes access will work but most of the time it looks like I'm connected but I just can't reach sites. I've tried mapping a static IP to my phone but that doesn't seem to help much.

Upvote 0
I have a somewhat similar issue with wifi. Since Froyo, I easily connect with full signal strength but most of the time reaching the Internet fails. This was not an issue before 2.2.

I've tried rebooting the router and sometimes access will work but most of the time it looks like I'm connected but I just can't reach sites. I've tried mapping a static IP to my phone but that doesn't seem to help much.

I have a similar problem to this one, but with an additional complication. I can connect to any network but it always reports the IP as the one used for my home network, so obviously I can't get to the Internet. Ironically, it doesn't work on my home network either, so there is definitely something screwed up.

This all started after the 2.2 OTA update. Only thing I can't remember is whether it was before or after I installed an app called Wifi Static, that lets you set static IPs for various networks. I've uninstalled the app, but I'm suspicious that it might have left residual settings somewhere.

I've shut the phone down a few times, but I'm thinking I might try a factory reset on the Dinc and see if that clears up everything. Do you all concur?

Upvote 0
speedtrap63: I don't know if the factory reset might help for you, but it didn't help me with my "Obtaining IP address" problem. I did a reset and it still couldn't connect to that router again, even though my other devices can connect fine. I'm wondering if Google just dropped support for certain types of routers (intentionally or not), as part of the Froyo change for adding support for 802.11n.

Upvote 0
I don't know the solution, but I'm having the exact same problem!! I have this old Microsoft wireless router at home, and it worked fine with my dinc until I downloaded Froyo (in fact, I was using wifi as I downloaded the update). After the phone restarted, I haven't been able to connect to wifi again since. My other devices (my laptop, my wife's laptop, my Nintendo Wii) still connect to our wireless network just fine. I've restarted the phone multiple times, and tried turning on wifi both with a widget and in Settings, and then also went into Settings and told it to forget that connection and then re-added it. I also reset both the wireless router and our cable modem. Still no go (but our other devices still connect just fine).

mched, did you ever figure out how to get yours working again?

I still have not been able to get it to work. I tried re-setting my router and even created a new network but nothing worked.
It's just weird that I am able to connect to all wifi hot spots like McDonalds, Vons and Staples just not my own.
The only way that I connect to my home router is by using the Wifi Static App.

Upvote 0
speedtrap63: I don't know if the factory reset might help for you, but it didn't help me with my "Obtaining IP address" problem. I did a reset and it still couldn't connect to that router again, even though my other devices can connect fine. I'm wondering if Google just dropped support for certain types of routers (intentionally or not), as part of the Froyo change for adding support for 802.11n.

Thanks, Scourge72. I'm going to try it anyway I think, because this is really frustrating. I essentially have no Wifi connectivity to any network, open or secured. 802.11n could hardly be called an enhancement if they removed support for certain types of routers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an unintentional side effect.

mched, I'm still wary of that Wifi Static app, because I didn't have this issue before I tried the app. Now, I have the static IP I set up for my home network applied to every wifi connection. Could be a coincidence or it could just be me, but I'm just sayin'...

Upvote 0
Thanks, Scourge72. I'm going to try it anyway I think, because this is really frustrating. I essentially have no Wifi connectivity to any network, open or secured. 802.11n could hardly be called an enhancement if they removed support for certain types of routers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an unintentional side effect.

mched, I'm still wary of that Wifi Static app, because I didn't have this issue before I tried the app. Now, I have the static IP I set up for my home network applied to every wifi connection. Could be a coincidence or it could just be me, but I'm just sayin'...

The only way I can get WiFi in my house is with the app.
I did not use the app or have a problem prior to 2.2.
I also now have a problem with WiFi and Bluetooth not working right.
When Wifi is connected it turns off my Bluetooth. It did not do that before either.
Verizon is sending me another phone. I should get it tomorrow.
I am starting to think that the routher is no longer compatible.
We'll see if it's the phone, router or the update.

Upvote 0
Basic WAP Troubleshooting list:

1) Can you can get other devices to connect to the WAP?
NO - WAP has an issue. Factory reset and try again.
YES - issue between WAP and phone.

2) Can you connect to other WAPs?
NO - General WIFI issue with your phone.
YES - issue between specific WAP and phone.

3) Are you using security?
NO - check for cars outside with lurking geeks
YES - turn off WEP / WPA and try again.

Check for a static ip with Menu | Settings | Wireless & networks | Wi-Fi Settings | Menu | Advanced. (Its a shame they're not displaying the IP/Gateway/etc for DHCP here.)

ps: this thread's title is a little vague...

Upvote 0
Basic WAP Troubleshooting list:

Check for a static ip with Menu | Settings | Wireless & networks | Wi-Fi Settings | Menu | Advanced. (Its a shame they're not displaying the IP/Gateway/etc for DHCP here.)

ps: this thread's title is a little vague...

inKRbl, thank you for reminding me about this! I went in and unchecked the box for Use Static IP and at least I can get to the open wifi network at work.

I never set that check box, so all I can think is that it was that app. For some reason the box was not cleared properly when I uninstalled it and caused my problem. However, i still need to check at home to make sure it works on a secured network, but I suspect it will now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones