• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue playing videos

096jjk

Lurker
Jan 1, 2013
Hello. This is my first post here, and my first real android phone so I may need a bit more assistance than others. I came here after not getting any answers from yahooanswers and as such this will be mostly a copypasta from what I alread put there.

I recently left verizon where I had a basic phone to move to metro pcs. I don't want any answers saying to switch or anything against them because I got a great deal, and only have this one complaint. I got the coolpad quattro 4g at first. Everything worked fine, until a day or two later I had problems playing videos. I mostly use youtube and blip. I may go to dailymotion, veoh, tumblr, or anime sites occasionally. Videos would play for about 5 seconds, buffer for about 30, and play for about 5 again. Just frustrating and not an enjoyable experience. I took it to the store and they told me nothing was wrong with it that they could tell. I wound up switching to the lg motion, which I tried in the store and it kicked the crap out of the coolpad playing videos. It also had a higher version of android 4.0 compared to 2.3.7, a better camera 5 to 3.2, and gorilla glass. And things were great the ride home, last night, and this morning. But about 12 today I started experiencing the same issue. Both phones worked great otherwise. Calling, texting, surfing, and all the apps I downloaded worked fine on both phones, even streaming music in the google play music app; just being a bitch to play video. Before I returned the coolpad I thought that maybe putting apps on the homescreen would slow it down. I don't think that's true because the lg automatically installs shortcuts. I've also reduced the number of home screens on both of them. I restored the coolpad to factory settings and that did nothing. The lg has a section under the settings for power saving, and I use all but one or two of them. I even did a system update on the lg and have the same problem. I thought if anything would have fixed it that would. I also uninstalled all the bloatware I could, and disabled the ones I couldn't, to no avail. I'm completely at a loss. Because I had the same issue on both phones I wonder if I paid more money to switch and I didn't have to. Is metro just too good to be true? Again calling, texting, browsing barring playing videos is great, and streaming music is fine. I should also mention that I have the same problem on google chrome and the youtube app. I also have a task killer. It's just a really frustrating thing for me. Is there anything you can think of that might help? Anybody that has had the same issue? One last thing I'll mention if it makes the issue any more recognizable is that before displaying the real time of the video, eventually, it always shows the length as 1:40. I'd appreciate any help I could get and any answers from anyone with android or metro pcs experience. Thanks.

The very first thing that comes to my mind about your issues playing videos is just a slow internet connection. I suggest downloading the app SpeedTest found here . Run the speed test and post how fast your download speeds are.

I'm in Southern California and MetroPCS 4g speeds are not too fast yet. I know sometimes when my 4g is slow I can't watch videos. Streaming music doesn't take up nearly as much bandwidth in comparison to streaming videos.

If the problem is caused by a slow internet speed then no other phone from Metro is going to solve your problem since it is just their network that is slow and not the phone itself.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the app. My download speed is 160 kbps, so good? bad? I think it's kinda funny they say it's hosted in Wichita, Kansas, and I live in Jersey. I do have the $30/month plan, but Why should that be bad? I know my 4g's up, but after that it just drops to 3g right? I compared it to my mom's phone on Verizon that's only 3g, and it did better, and none of the plans on metro have 4g the whole time, right?

Upvote 0
I downloaded the app. My download speed is 160 kbps, so good? bad? I think it's kinda funny they say it's hosted in Wichita, Kansas, and I live in Jersey. I do have the $30/month plan, but Why should that be bad? I know my 4g's up, but after that it just drops to 3g right? I compared it to my mom's phone on Verizon that's only 3g, and it did better, and none of the plans on metro have 4g the whole time, right?

160kb/s = bad, you will be sitting there forever waiting for the video to load. Also, on the $30 after 250MB of data is used, your fast 4G will switch to gay crappy 3G until you pay your bill, which from the amount of videos you've watched, it sounds like you go though this quick. Metro's 3G is crappy in most areas, so you'll be stuck on crappy speeds until you pay your bill next month. You can pay an extra $20 a month and get 2.5GB of 4G a month. Or you can try and connect to WiFi as much as possible to conserve your 250MB and view Low Quality videos when on 4G. On a side note, are you getting a 4G signal?

Upvote 0

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357132040565.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357132040565.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
Use WiFi for videos (and everything else whenever possible) and it will work fine.
Otherwise, if you are streaming that much and need to use the network your $30 plan is useless. Suck it up and go for the unlimited 4G plan which may still be $55 (at least it's still on the Metro website) unless the promotion has ended. Bear in mind though, that even with the so-called "unlimited" plan there is a threshold that Metro considers excessive use, IIRC it's 60GB/month, and they will still throttle your data if you hit that amount.
Oh, and get rid of the task killer. It's doing more harm than good, you don't need it.

Upvote 0
I think it's kinda funny they say it's hosted in Wichita, Kansas, and I live in Jersey.

Go to your Locations tab in System Settings and be sure you've Ok'd the use of GPS by Apps. I had them all toggled there Except one. I was getting the same Far Away Speedtest severs until I toggled the last untoggled box on that page.

It may not help a lot but it should make for a more accurate Speedtests with less distance between you and the server doing the test.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Upvote 0
Hey. Is 2.5 gigs a lot? Because before I got a smart phone, trying to decide the carrier I put an app on my iPod to see how much data I used in a day. It said I used a gig, but maybe I read it wrong. There was a lot on that app. I guess it's just the server and not the phone ,from what everyone's telling me. If it truly is unlimited everything for $55, I can probably talk my mom into it. It's still cheaper than the other carriers, and that 4g was sweet while I had it. Thanks for the unofficial word on the street too, lol. I'll talk to her, and see if we can do it over the phone.

Upvote 0
On Verizon with my DX, 2.5 G would cover me most months. I watch just a few YouTubers, no on-line gaming, stream A LOT of Tune-In radio and surf. There have been a few months where I used my phone pretty much as my regular Pooder as my Wifi here (not under my control) was wonky. In those instances I've hit 3.5-4 G in one month but I don't recall in two years Ever going over 4G.

A 2.5 G limit would drive me crazier. Remember also that your phone will use Some data for some apps even if you aren't doing anything yourelf data wise. So, to stop from getting any data overage charges, you'd have to turn All Data OFF once you got to 2.5 G and just use the phone, text, and Wifi.

[EDIT] I just checked, this has been a pretty average usage month for me, I've used 1.8 G on my DX with a week left in my month to go.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones