• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Issue Rooting HTC Desire 510[Solved]

Hey guys,

So i lately have tried to root my HTC Desire 510,
And everything did go well so far like:

*Unlocking Bootloader
*Finishing the TWRP Recovery

But then when i reached the final step i didn't understand anything from it,
So first of all i know if you guys want to help me you need to know what methode i used.

1) Unlocking Bootloader, i used HTCDev for that
2) Rooting: Brainsproject.net/2014/12/21/how-to-root-the-htc-desire-510/

As i said everything did go good until i reached step 7:

1. Download TeamWin Project Recovery Image 2.8.1.0 and save it to a folder on your computer.
    1. I used the recovery image 2.8.10 and it worked perfect. Other versions might work too.
  2. Connect the device to your computer and reboot the device into Fastboot mode:
    1. Pull the battery (or completely power down the device)
    2. Press and hold the power and volume down buttons for 5 seconds
    3. Select FASTBOOT and press the power button
  3. Open a terminal and navigate to the folder where you saved the recovery image from step 1 and type:
    1. fastboot flash recovery TWRP_2.8.1.0_A11.img
  4. Once the flash process is finished, reboot the device
  5. Download SuperSU 2.16 and move it onto your device
  6. Reboot the device into the boot loader and select Recovery mode:
    1. Pull the battery (or completely power down the device)
    2. Press and hold the power and volume down buttons for 5 seconds
    3. Select RECOVERY and press the power button
  7. Once in Recovery mode, tap Install
  8. Locate SuperSU 2.16 from step 5, select it, and flash it
  9. Reboot your device

I basicly don't understand what they meen with ''Once in Recovery mode, tap Install'',
What kinda install?

When i hit the powerbutton to confirm it, it just reboots it self.
And then how in gods name do i flash the SuperSU do i need to do that on PC or the phone it self?

Thnx for reading.

On the phone. When you tap install you should be given like a file manager view. Navigate to Download folder (or wherever SuperSU is saved) and select it.
Do you definitely have twrp recovery installed?
I know what the recovery mode is but the thing is when i boot my phone (or atleast try to boot it) in recovery mode it just restarts.

Upvote 0
so what i basicly did is when i tried to root my HTC Desire 510 i accidentlely did in cmd ''fastboot flash boot recovery.img'' instead of ''fastboot flash recovery recovery.img'' and now my phone won't turn to it's main system it keeps rebooting please help me if their is an solution.

Upvote 0
Ok, am I right in assuming there are a couple of versions? Sprint, Boost & Virgin and an international version?

I presume from the username, you have the Dutch/international version?

Can you boot back to your bootloader, head to fastboot, plug the phone in to your PC, then open a command window in the folder you installed fastboot please. Once there type

Code:
fastboot getvar all

Then paste whatever pops up in the window into a post here. Remove the IMEI, MEID and serial number.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Ok, am I right in assuming there are a couple of versions? Sprint, Boost & Virgin and an international version?

I presume from the username, you have the Dutch/international version?

Can you boot back to your bootloader, head to fastboot, plug the phone in to your PC, then open a command window in the folder you installed fastboot please. Once there type

Code:
fastboot getvar all

Then paste whatever pops up in the window into a post here. Remove the IMEI, MEID and serial number.

Microsoft Windows [versie 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

C:\Users\Norah>cd C:\Root

C:\root>fastboot getvar all
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 01.02.012_U10251_39.08.40922
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.51.401.2
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) product: a11_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8916
(bootloader) modelid: 0PCV20000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__031
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 3532d7cc
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
(bootloader) mfg-name: 1001
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.024s

C:\root>
I Removed Serialno, IMEI and the MEID.

Upvote 0
I can't confirm the download because it's blocked by the firewall at work, but it looks as though there's an RUU.exe file here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59997983&postcount=6

Can you download and let me know if it's an exe file with "1.51.401.2" somewhere in the filename.

In the mean time, I'll keep digging.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did the RUU File have 1.51.401.2 in the file name? It will only run if it's the same/newer version of the current software on your device.

Also in the bootloader, can you tell me what it says at the top of the screen in front of the phrase "PVT SHIP S-ON".

HTC devices have an internal model name which often differs to the name it goes by to everyone else. For example, HTC called my old HTC One X, the Endeavour, so my bootloader said "Endeavour PVT SHIP S-ON" at the top of the screen.

Upvote 0
Did the RUU File have 1.51.401.2 in the file name? It will only run if it's the same/newer version of the current software on your device. it had that version.

Also in the bootloader, can you tell me what it says at the top of the screen in front of the phrase "PVT SHIP S-ON".
*** Software status: Official ***
*** UNLOCKED ***
A11_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-01.02.012_U10251_39.08.40922
OS-1.51.401.2
eMMC-boot 1024MB
Mar 24 2015 ,16:51:31.0

HTC devices have an internal model name which often differs to the name it goes by to everyone else. For example, HTC called my old HTC One X, the Endeavour, so my bootloader said "Endeavour PVT SHIP S-ON" at the top of the screen.
i think its: A11_UL PVT SHIP S-ON

@El Presidente

Upvote 0
@DutchMansProud , sincerest apologies, I saw your response just as I finished work last night but completely forgot to respond. :(

You need to relock the bootloader before running the RUU. Can you try that?

I'm really sorry for leaving you hanging.

@El Presidente I was just about to post that. lol

@DutchMansProud If you don't know how to relock the bootloader here is a little guide:
1. Power the phone down
2. Hold "Down" button then hold "Power" key while still holding "Down" button until you get into the bootloader
3. Release "Down" and "Power" button
4. Tap "Power" key once and it will change from "HBOOT" in white letters with blue background to "FASTBOOT" in white letters with red background on your phone
5. Connect your USB cable and it will say "FASTBOOT USB" on your phone
6. Navigate to the folder you have your adb.exe, fastboot.exe stuff from Android Studio or wherever you obtained it from (Mine is in C:\"myusername"\Android\sdk\platform-tools)
7. Hold the "Shift" key then right click in any empty space in that folder
8. Select "Open command window here"
9. Type
Code:
fastboot devices
in the command window, then press Enter just to make sure it is picking up your phone
10. You should see something like: "HT42PXU99475 fastboot" if you don't make sure your USB cable is inserted all the way and you are in "FASTBOOT USB"
11. Type
Code:
fastboot oem lock
in the command window

You should see something like:
Code:
(bootloader) [PGFS] partition_update_pgfs: pg1fs_security
(bootloader) TZ_HTC_SVC_ENC ret = 0
(bootloader) [PGFS] partition_update_pgfs: pg2fs_sec_recovery
(bootloader) Lock successfully...
(bootloader) TZ_HTC_SVC_DISABLE ret = 596539196 (0x1FFFFD6C)
(bootloader) Start Verify: 3
(bootloader) WARM RESET: 9
(bootloader) [INFO] Reset reason in IMEM is 0x77665800
(bootloader) [INFO] Rebooting device
FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))
finished. total time: 1.110s

Your phone will automatically reboot and your bootloader will be locked

You can check by booting into the bootloader and it should say *** RELOCKED *** at the top in white letters and purple background

After all that just run the RUU as normal and it should install correctly. The kernel will be replaced, since you mentioned that you flashed the recovery to its partition.

Please do not use that TWRP and SuperSU, they are old.

The 64-bit users do not use TWRP. I think there is a CWM for your device, I have to do more searching, as I have 32-bit, but most people are using http://forum.xda-developers.com/des...t/recovery-ported-philztouchrecovery-t3063109.

You can get the most up-to-date SuperSU from https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones