1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Issue with Booting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mcglone, Sep 2, 2011.

1. mcglone

mcglone Lurker

I've had my HTC Desire S for no more than 6 weeks and i loved every minute of it until recently.

About a week or 2 ago, I was updating my apps and games at the market, i selected "Update all" and then the phone froze at about 53%.

I Couldnt turn the phone of via the power button so i removed the battery.

It booted up fine until it got to the main home page then froze again.

It did this for about a day. I then realised that if i turned the WiFi off it would work fine, i later updated them all one by one. Then it Worked fine.

A Day or 2 after that, my phone kept restarting itself over and over again and when it stopped i had lost my keyboard.

I went through a few days without a keyboard until i went to the market and made my way through the "Related Apps" section until i got to a keyboard called "Hacker's Keyboard" (dodgy name but was the only one that worked)

This keyboard worked fine. I went a whole day without any issue and thought my problem was solved.

But now, last night i was half asleep and my girlfriend woke me up to tell me to "sort out my phone" as it was vibrating like crazy, restarting itself etc. I thought nothing of it as i was very tired. (im guessing it just turned itself off)

Today was a different story. Now it wont get passed the White "HTC" screen when the power is turned on.

I have tried the Volume down and power button method:

-Fastboot does nothing

-Recovery gets to a form of loading screen after the white HTC screen then vibrates several times and turns off.

-Factory Reset just doesnt respond after being selected (stays on the selection screen (Fastboot, Recovery etc))

-I dare not try the simlock option

-Image CRC gives me a bunch of information on things and goes back to the option screen.

I dont know what to do. Any help would be appreciated and any additional info can be given if needed.

(as far as i know i havent rooted it)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast

When it doesn't boot past the HTC screen and you've tried a factory reset, then there's nothing else you can really do, unless you want to invalidate the warranty and risk bricking your phone.

Time to take it back to be repaired.

3. mcglone

mcglone Lurker

is there any way to fix this without voiding or bricking?
    and what are the ways to fix this with voiding?

4. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast

I don't think there's any way. The factory reset is usually the last weapon of choice in trying to solve these problems - any type of problem. You can try doing a soft reset without the SIM and SD card in your phone - Power off phone > Remove battery for 30 seconds > Replace battery and power on phone - but it looks like your fault is beyond that solution.

Rooting a phone enables users to have complete control over the software that goes on their phone - firmware, operating system and applications. Doing this invalidates the warranty, unless you're able to roll-back what you've done. Because your phone currently has a fault which looks software related, this would be a highly risky stragey, even for those who know their way around rooting phones. Only if you can afford to brick yours and pay for it to be repaired should you consider this. And rooting, per se, wouldn't solve your problem. You'd then have to flash a new, uncorrupted ROM to your phone.

5. wobblelino

wobblelino Lurker

Hi all,

I had exactly the same problems. Took it back to the T-Mobile shop and they sent it for repair so now using the old hero (which was great at the time but no comparison to the Desire S).

Unfortunately though It is now 3 weeks since it went in for repair and looking at the repair status at tmobile online it has been 2 weeks awaiting parts. I've contacted tmobile 3 times and the actual repair centre once. the repair centre told me that my phone needs a new mother board so basically everything will be replaced except the
    shell. But because the parts are coming from htc they don't know when it will be reparied.

Im really annoyed about this, i cant understand why tmobile cant give me a replacement if everything is being replaced anyway (except the case). I'm getting gradually more annoyed.

I had the phone less than 3 months. I understand things go wrong but the level of service is shoddy at best and customer services just dont care. Hope you have more luck... and if you do can you reply and let me know as i cant bear using my hero any longer... its so slow!

6. mcglone

mcglone Lurker

The only solution was to send it for repairs, sadly they couldn't fix the phone so they sent back a replacement phone.
    its the only thing they could do apparently they even sent it to HTC as the repair shop didnt know what to do.

HTC Desire S Forum

The HTC Desire S release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews