1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

issue with bootstrap?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bugly, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

I am new to this whole process, so bear with me. I am having trouble installing bootstrap. I downloaded the zip file to my SD card, then unzipped it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I am not sure if this is a procedural error on my part (very likely), or if I have a corrupted file, since I did the d/l to my mac and then transferred it to the SD card from there.
    I am rooted, used Z4
    Have rom manager, busybox, Ti backup and all my permissions have been set to me. I don't get it, is there something I haven't tried that is just plain obvious?
    I won't claim to be a pro at this, funny, I can hack the living hell out of a blackberry...

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

Just download it (droid x recovery bootstrap) from market.

Bugly likes this.
  3. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

just tried that, wouldn't install. I might have to delete and try again.
    I'm pretty sure this is something I'm screwing up, I'll try some more. Thanks for the advice.

4. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

would it possibly be caused by having .340 installed on the device?

5. colchiro

Nearly everyone here has .340 installed. It's the latest android version for the X.

Are you rooted (z4root)?

6. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

yup, sorry it took so long to respond. I even went through the re-rooting to see if there was an error in root.

7. colchiro

The Mac connection might be a problem.

I wonder if you can download from your phone and save on the sdcard and install from there.

How about opening superuser app and check for updates (under settings)?

8. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

I thought so myself, and d/l the app with the device instead, still isn't working. might be a software conflict somewhere.

9. colchiro

How about opening rom manager and choose first option, "flash cw"?

10. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

all it did was confirm i had the latest version

11. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

I went through a similar process with the blackberrys, then I became a help center poster afterward. It's all good, thanks for helping out.

12. colchiro

So, it's working?

13. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

Not yet, but I just wanted to thank you for helping out since it's one of those things people forget to do when help is being rendered.

14. colchiro

Time to uninstall bootstrap/rom manager and reinstall (bootstrap first)?

Settings... applications...

15. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

ok, will do. gotta sign off for the night, wife is home and we're setting up a baby shower for her daughter. I should probably give that more attention for now. Thanks again!

16. colchiro

That might be more important. ;)

17. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

Seriously, this is starting to make me lose my patience. I have d/l the bootstrap program several times, both on my mac and directly to the DX, and at no time has there been an option to install the software. Got the app directly from Koush's website on github.
    is there a manual install for this, or do I have to go to the app store and (once again) download and hope it installs?
    I have been through the directory (folder) where it downloaded, and all files say either they can not be opened, or they give me a choice of opening in browser or utorrent. WTF?
    Am I missing some secret handshake, or am I just that lucky ba$**** that can't unlock his device?
    Anyone else have this issue?

18. bouchigo

bouchigo Android Expert

It might have installed incorrectly.....make sure it is completely removed before trying to install again......try downloading astro file manager and install it through there....if it doesn't work, it might be a good idea to factory default your phone and start over.

19. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

I'm about to throw this thing out the window into traffic. Astro did absolutely nothing, and still gave no install option. This was with a complete delete of all instances of the file and a fresh download. Is there another program that can deodex the DX so I can load a simple ROM?
    Apparently, the bootstrap won't work on this device, or I would have had some kind of luck by now.

20. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

I'm to the point where I may just say "F" Motorola and their locked-down B.S. and go with HTC. At least they understand that the customer is the boss.

21. bouchigo

bouchigo Android Expert

When in astro, you select the bootstrap file, do you get this popup:

[​IMG]

If you do, you have to select "Open App Manager", then you will get something like this (if it's not installed, the only option should be to "install"):

[​IMG]

22. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

on soft touch, i get a list of the files included in the package, as i got before.
    On touch and hold, i get a box that asks how i want to open the file:
    Details
    open as
    edit
    send
    extract

none of these will install, as I have tried them all to see if any work

open as gives the options of:
    text
    audio
    image (picture)
    video

WTF? these are all media settings.
    There are no executable files in the koush download, I get the impression this is a broken file and am not willing to try an alternate download with bank information involved.
    Again, is there an alternate app that will deodex this device? Or do I have to go to a different manufacturer and tell motorola they lost another customer for life?

23. colchiro

A tap on a zip file vs a long-press, gives different options in root explorer. Do you get similar actions with Astro? BTW, off to work so don't have time to check for a reply.

24. nycebo

nycebo Android Enthusiast

or just download it from the market and let it install itself automatically. plus, it pays Khoush a marginal fee for his excellent work.

25. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert

+1 on supporting the dev (koush) on this app as its the most important app that makes this all possible and its only $4 from the market, also this app has nothing to do with deodexing anything ....