1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Issue with creating contacts/save to SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sachertorte, Jan 1, 2019.

1. sachertorte

sachertorte Newbie

Apr 16, 2018
    Previously, when adding a contact, I used to be presented with the options, "Save to SD Card", "Phone", "Google", with the ability to "select" or "set as default". Well, at least I think that was the options at the time, to the best of my memory. Now, when I add a contact, I am not shown "Save to SD Card", but the other options are there and seem to be what I always had. I have not knowingly changed any settings, and I never selected a default method. I recently had a phone software update, so I do not know if that is why the change came about. I looked in contacts for a setting to get it back to the way it was, but I have found nothing. Can I get the save to SD Card option back, or was this removed by the last software update?

Thanks,

Danny

PS, I tried checking this against my wife's phone, a Galaxy S9, I think, but, those options do not show at all. I THINK that I selected "Phone' as the default save location on hers. I looked to see where that could be changed, if it could be changed back to where a default was not selected, or to select another default. I had no luck finding anything.

Advertisement

#1 sachertorte, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I've never heard of "save to SD card" as an option for contacts. Do you perhaps mean "SIM card"? That method has pretty much been deprecated for some time now.

Anyway SIM contacts are very limited in what they can do, and in my experience the SIM is less reliable than the phone, so it's safer to either save them with a synced account (e.g. Google) or save to phone and then back them up yourself ("export" in the contacts app's settings will allow you to write a vcard file to the phone or SD card, which you can then copy to somewhere safe: if you lose the phone anything on it is lost, so just having a copy on SD, or indeed in the SIM, would not be safe).

Astr4y4L and marctronixx like this.
  3. sachertorte

sachertorte Newbie

Apr 16, 2018
    Hadron,
    Thank you for the help. That must certainly have been what I saw, and as I noted, I was not trusting my memory completely.

With that said, what happened to the option of "save to SIM Card"? How could I change the location where they are saved, If I wanted to, or to just get the notification back to where "Save to Sim Card" also showed up?

Thanks,
    Dan

marctronixx likes this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I wasn't aware that Android has ever allowed saving of contacts to the SIM. You can import from the SIM, and you used to be able to export to it (though my current phone, a Pixel 2, has never had that option), but I'm pretty sure that to actually use the contacts you would have to import them from the SIM to either phone or Google.

Now I've not owned a Samsung phone, so they may have added an option to store contacts in a SIM, I can't say for sure. But I'm pretty certain it's not been a standard Android feature for a long time, if ever.

If the Note 8 did have this at some point then the only way would be to go back to an older version of the software and never update. But your next phone won't have it, so I'd be inclined to suggest moving on from it (I've had 2 SIMs fail in the last decade, so would never trust them for contact storage myself).

5. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    5BE6A099-E8AE-4414-B6C0-DF1F08997757.jpeg

It’s an option. The OP must have changed the default method.

This is a screenshot from my note 9. But the 8 was also the same way.

Using a T-Mobile variant in the US. Locked. OP what is your carrier?

Astr4y4L and Hadron like this.
  6. sachertorte

sachertorte Newbie

Apr 16, 2018
    Mine is currently locked and I am on AT&T. I took a screenshot, but do not know if I can put it on here without an image hosting service (which I do not have).

Danny

If I changed it, it was by mistake, and not by intent, maybe through an accidental set of screen presses, etc. In any case, the screen is asking me to either select the preferred method for this contact, OR to set it one as default, which means that no default has been set.

Danny

7. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    go to settings, apps, then contacts. scroll down and look at the "set as default" setting. it may be grayed out so you cant change it but just want to check.

when i make a new contact, i have options to save to my google accounts as well. are you seeing this?

8. sachertorte

sachertorte Newbie

Apr 16, 2018
    I can save to my Google Account or phone, just not to Sim Card as in the past.

If I ask as you do above, I can access "set as default", where I find "clear defaults".

Danny

9. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    perhaps clear defaults? :thinking: no dice?

Astr4y4L likes this.
  10. Astr4y4L

Astr4y4L Android Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2017
    Male
    Contractor
    Mudville USA
    I'd bet on clear defaults,
    But it is possible that the recent update removed that option .
    AT&T is fickle about everything ...

marctronixx likes this.
  11. sachertorte

sachertorte Newbie

Apr 16, 2018
    Well, I was not feeling well recently, so I did not mess with this issue, but today, I tried adding a contact again and my save to Sim Card option is back. I recently had some issues with Tapatalk and my browser. I changed some settings in Tapatalk and cleared defaults in Dolphin, my browser, and maybe my Tapatalk defaults. I think that had something to do with it somehow. I last remember having to set the default for calling from numbers in my browser, which was yesterday. Today is the first day I recognize that add contacts is normal again.

Thanks,

Danny

marctronixx likes this.
  12. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    Its goes without saying that we should all pay attention to what those little pop up boxes state when we are using/setup up our devices. :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Welcome to the Galaxy Note 8 Forum where you'll find help, tips, tricks, accessories, reviews, and more for Samsung's S-Pen enabled smartphone. With a 6.3-inch screen, 6GB RAM, 8MP/12MP front & back cameras and a whole lot more- the Galaxy Note 8 is an absolute BEAST!