• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help issue with longer phonenumbers

az_r2d1

Nov 18, 2009
I noticed on my droid that there is an issue with longer numbers.
Here is the situation.
I use google voice and store the entire call string in my contacts for international calls. For instance

123-456-7890,1234,2,0113111312345

So in this case the 123-456-7890 is my google voice nr.
The comma is a pause
the 1234 is my passcode
another comma
then the international nr.
now, if I have another number like this stored (home and mobile) for the same contact, for instance
123-456-7890,1234,2,01131653353535
The (saved) contact list only shows this as being 1 number !!
My guess is it only differentiates the first 10 numbers or so and thinks they are the same. This seems like a bug to me. Where do I report this ?
The funny thing is is that my motorola razr v3xx did the exact same thing !

You don't need to do that anymore with the Droid. I used to save my numbers like that with Gvoice, but no more.

apps menu > google voice > settings > making calls > "only use google voice for international numbers"

DONE! just dial the contact as normal, (for example if I was calling Venezuela: 011+58+555-555-1212) and the google voice app will see that you are calling an international area code and automatically call it with google voice (assuming you have gvoice account info setup on your phone). You can verify this because it will say calling with gvoice and how much it will cost you per minute.

WORKS WITH CALLS TO CANADA TOO! just enter the number normally, it knows.

Upvote 0
You don't need to do that anymore with the Droid. I used to save my numbers like that with Gvoice, but no more.

apps menu > google voice > settings > making calls > "only use google voice for international numbers"

DONE! just dial the contact as normal, (for example if I was calling Venezuela: 011+58+555-555-1212) and the google voice app will see that you are calling an international area code and automatically call it with google voice (assuming you have gvoice account info setup on your phone). You can verify this because it will say calling with gvoice and how much it will cost you per minute.

WORKS WITH CALLS TO CANADA TOO! just enter the number normally, it knows.

AHA, thank you so much. I was wondering why google voice wasn't more integrated. I still had to download the google voice app, it's not on the the droid by default. Installed it and it works like a charm.
Thanks a ton !
This should probably go in the faq

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones