1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Issue with Nexus 9 Wifi Tablet: No command after last patch update

Discussion in 'Android Rooting' started by TJ1989, May 12, 2016.

1. TJ1989

TJ1989 Lurker
    None

May 12, 2016
    Male
    Singapore
    Hello,

I was running Marshmallow when I applied (yesterday) the last patch udpdate from Google.
    The device rebooted several times and ended with the screen "No command", before "Device corrupt"
    Then nothing,
    Going through the forum I am trying to flash the latest OS 'volantis-mob30g'
    So, after installing the USB driver and connecting my device to Windows, installing the SDK, following the instructions from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#instructions

I am now at the step 'fastboot flashing unlock' which unfortunately now ends in:

FAILED (remote: not allowed)
    finished. total time: 0.003s

I could not 'allow the EOM unlock' because the device could not even boot up.

I am desperate and completely stuck.

Please any help would be appreciated.

:-(

Advertisement

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    scary alien likes this.
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    I think the OP is being stymied by the fact that the Settings -> Developer options -> OEM Unlocking not being on/enabled (which he can no longer do/change/set because Android won't boot-up).

In order to re-flash anything you'd need the bootloader unlocked, which you cannot do because of that disabled Setting :(.

edit: you're seeing "FAILED (remote: oem unlock is not allowed)", correct?

I've not (yet) heard of a work-around for this...(but I haven't researched recently, so maybe there's something?)

#3 scary alien, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Jfalls63 likes this.
  4. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    BTW, this post on XDA says to try:

fastboot format userdata
    fastboot format cache

Pretty sure @Brian706 and I have discussed this before a good while back (I don't have a memory that it was successful, though :)) in another similar situation/thread.

If the above commands won't work--because of the locked bootloader, I wonder if you could boot into the stock recovery and do the wipes in there (hopefully allowing you to reboot into Android)?

The OP in that thread actually had TWRP custom recovery installed and was having trouble booting-up in TWRP, too, until he did this:

Thanks for your help here guys. Unfortunately none of the fastboot commands worked....all failing with "locked" messages, including flashing factory images directly from google. I was about to give up... I took the SIM card out and suddenly I was able to boot into TWRP (previously TWRP booted but instantly crashed and rebooted before I could do anything). Once in TWRP I was able to wipe/format. That allowed Android to boot up, then I could enable unlocking and get access to fastboot again. So my advice... don't ever lock this device even if it's working perfectly.​

Not sure that pulling the SIM card is useful/relevant here, but didn't want to omit it...

5. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
  6. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Ah, that's awesome, @Jfalls63! :)

(a block-based OTA is awesome because it won't care what you previously had/have on your device--similar to a factory image)

@TJ1989, be sue to read through that XDA thread so you understand any of the pitfalls that some users encountered.

Jfalls63 likes this.