• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue with Predictive Text & Samsung Keyboard

jfich

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
Hello,

I've had the S4 for about a month now and it was all working out great until Thursday... Not sure what happened there but I was very happy with the Samsung keyboard and the predictive text and all of a sudden all the words I type on a daily basis (names, etc...) that were not originally in the dictionary simply disappeared...

I haven't installed any other keyboard app and I don't believe I downloaded or deleted an app around the time that happened.
Even right now it still does not remember the text I type in anymore (or just for a couple minutes sometimes).

Predictive text is still set to "ON" and I haven't changed the language or anything...

Any help appreciated. Thx!

Reactions: CDMA LTE
This started happening with my keyboard (Samsung) in July. Just stopped recognizing my kids names, regular words I use every day and stopped remembering my email which was my favorite thing. My email is miamivirgo.....as soon as I'd hit the "v" my whole email would pop up. Now all that pops up is nonsense words such as Miami veggie blah blah. Went from smart ass keyboard to duh

Upvote 0
I saw someone else posted this in another thread so I thought I would share... since it worked for me.

The user wrote:

Hi I don't know if you figured it out yet but I was having the same issue. I like my Samsung keyboard but it wasn't saving words. Just reset it. Go into settings, language input, click the settings cog by Samsung keyboard and down at the bottom is a reset. Click that and it will start to save your words again. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
hi,

I am having the same problem, this problem started like 4 to 5 days ago.

i have just contacted the Samsung Support, i supplied him with following query,

i am using GT-i9505, and having problem with Samsung Keyboard, Specially Personalized Text, don't remember words,

he did his best resolving the issue, by following steps, (performed through Samsung Tutor) must have the predictive text option on, through Language and input settings, also the Personalized text must be active.

1. he go to settings, More>Application Manager>(Tab) All> selected Messages> and cleared the data by clicking on Clear Data,
2. Clicked on "More" button, (left touch key beside Home Button") and selected Clear App Preferences.
3. asked me to restart the phone, by shutting down and Removing the battery.
4. restarted, tested, worked.

but as soon as he left, again doomed :( i tried the word "Asalam o Alaikum" he told me you will have to retype and save the words again, so, at first it was working, i would only write "asa" a suggestion will appear as Asalam, i press o then Alaikum would automatically appear.

but its not working again.

i suppose i need to reset the phone, but i think it can be worked out as,

Settings>application Manager>all (Tab) select Samsung Keyboard> clear Data, (mine was 49 mb) think its working for me as of now.

Upvote 0
Settings>Application Manager> All(Tab)>Samsung Keyboard>Clear Data> Restart Phone (by shutting down> removing battery, inserting battery, Power on)

But please note, you will have to resave all personalized data, other settings should be to your convenience,
Mine are,
Settings,>More(Tab)>language and input>Keyboard Samsung>
Language >English US
Predictive Text >on
Auto replacement> off
Auto Capitalization> on
Auto Spacing> on
Auto Punctuate> on

Keyboard Swipe None
Sound>off
vibrate>off
Character Previw> on

Reactions: shettysatishs
Upvote 0
The process suggested by sarathx4 worked for me (for now).

Steps I used...
1) Go to Settings/My Device/Language and input/Samsung keyboard (settings)
2) Turn off Predictive text
3) Restart Phone
4) Return to Samsung keyboard settings
5) Turn on Predictive text.

I would like to add that this was the most frustrating thing for me for the last week. Learned words (email addresses, usernames, etc.) just suddenly stopped working. I almost wanted to buy an iPhone (Grrrrr) just to spite 'em...whoever 'em are.

It would be nice if the Samsung keyboard actually used a database that could have words manually added to it.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I've had the S4 for about a month now and it was all working out great until Thursday... Not sure what happened there but I was very happy with the Samsung keyboard and the predictive text and all of a sudden all the words I type on a daily basis (names, etc...) that were not originally in the dictionary simply disappeared...

I haven't installed any other keyboard app and I don't believe I downloaded or deleted an app around the time that happened.
Even right now it still does not remember the text I type in anymore (or just for a couple minutes sometimes).

Predictive text is still set to "ON" and I haven't changed the language or anything...

Any help appreciated. Thx!
I had that same problem, finally figured it out last night! Go to Settings> my device> language and input. Click the settings symbol to the left of Samsung Keyboard. Click on the words Predictive Text. This will bring up a new menu. Clear remote data and personal data, then hit the buttons to learn from contacts, messages, etc. This worked perfectly for me, I hope it helps you too!!

Upvote 0
Settings>Application Manager> All(Tab)>Samsung Keyboard>Clear Data> Restart Phone (by shutting down> removing battery, inserting battery, Power on)

But please note, you will have to resave all personalized data, other settings should be to your convenience,
Mine are,
Settings,>More(Tab)>language and input>Keyboard Samsung>
Language >English US
Predictive Text >on
Auto replacement> off
Auto Capitalization> on
Auto Spacing> on
Auto Punctuate> on

Keyboard Swipe None
Sound>off
vibrate>off
Character Previw> on
this worked perfectly fine.. for me. thanks @afaqhaider

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones