• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue with SD Card - files reappear after formatting

innovator3

Aug 2, 2014
An issued I'm having with my microSD card is I'm formatting the card so that all the files get deleted. When I do this and put the card back in, the files re-appear. Anyone know why this is happening? It's like the phone is perpetually stuck with the same files.

Using AT&T galaxy s4 with Android 4.4.2.

What are the files your talking about? And are they the empty file that the phone puts on there during formatting? I think it's 4 empty files.

If so, the phone puts those files on there in order to use the SD card like a hard drive. To put it simply.

There's apps on the phones internal storage that uses specific file names when communicating with the SD card and during formatting, that's when the phone will put those few files on the SD card.

Upvote 0
What are the files your talking about? And are they the empty file that the phone puts on there during formatting? I think it's 4 empty files.

If so, the phone puts those files on there in order to use the SD card like a hard drive. To put it simply.

There's apps on the phones internal storage that uses specific file names when communicating with the SD card and during formatting, that's when the phone will put those few files on the SD card.

I'm talking about MP3's I put on there, programs that include video and audio, ebooks, PDF's, pictures. Those are the types of files I have on the SD card.

I'm not sure where you got 4 files from since I didn't mention any of that.

Upvote 0
He means the system usually puts like 4 files on the SD card after formatting it fir use by the system. Not sure of the exact number of files it actually places, but he is right.
If there are actual files not belonging to the system after a reformat and before you place it in the phone then you probably need to throw it in the computer and do a full format.
If it's there after placing it in the phone then post the list of the files.it creates and maybe someone can put your mind at ease, or figure out what is making these files appear and explain how to remove them.
But it really sounds to me that the phone is just failing to format the card, so the computer should fix it.

Upvote 0
A third party app is any app that did not come installed on the phone from factory. Or another way to put it would be.... Any app you installed.

As for the file manager......
From home screen tap on the apps icon,
Then search for the icon labeled My Files,

In there you can then search for the SD cards files and information stored on it.

You can also delete files and such from with in there.

Upvote 0
A third party app is any app that did not come installed on the phone from factory. Or another way to put it would be.... Any app you installed.

As for the file manager......
From home screen tap on the apps icon,
Then search for the icon labeled My Files,

In there you can then search for the SD cards files and information stored on it.

You can also delete files and such from with in there.

Thanks for the advice. I've done that previously (numerous times) and my files keep reappearing after a bit. It seems when I restart my phone, it reverts back to what it was before. Strange.

Upvote 0
Well I'm sure there are programs that could do the trick, but you can also look to see what's being saved. If it's a music file, check what type of music file it is and see which program could be affiliated with it. For instance, if it's a sound track type file, there may be a game that rebuilds the mp3 on boot up. Same thing with other file types.

Why not post an exact list of these files, like names and any file extension used, so maybe we can help you locate what these files could possibly be related to. If you want, maybe a list of programs you have had installed (or removed) since the problem.first started. I myself do not have as much experience with which files could go with what program, but I would be more then happy to help search the web to help locate the cause.
:)

Upvote 0
A lot of my files are either .wav, mp3, pdf, flv, jpg, mp4 type files. I mostly have audio files, video and some photos.

I should mention I do have the app Synctunes on the SD card. This is used to transfer playlists from iTunes to my phone via wireless. I have the feeling that is causing an issue but I can't be certain.

Upvote 0
Did we ever get an answer to this issue? just having the exact same issue. I can manually delete all the files on the sd card. Format it on my S4 phone and boom all the files return.

I did. When I went to re-format my SD card it still didn't erase all the files. I then called SanDisk and turns out that my SD card was corrupted somehow. They then sent a label to me for me to ship it to them and they sent me a replacement.

I got my new card and it works perfectly. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have been having similar problems with sd cards!
Tried deleting files or formatting them and each time the card comes back to the initial state!
I use android, windows and also Linux and the cards in question react the same way on all systems!
In most cases I have managed to format the cards in the end and fix the problem but n each time it has only worked with one of the 3 OS s and changes each time!
I have had similar problems with hard drives in the past!
I believe it has to do with programmes OR s taking ownership of files or of the disk themselves and making impossible to change these files.
There is one other possibility: that it is some kind of worm /virus as one thing all these cases have had in common is *playlist files* even the cards or drives had never been connected to a media device.
My SanDisk in wich I am using one such card does not recognise said *playlist.sal*
And none of my other devices can access these files either
(With the exception of one card that refuses to over wright the contents)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones