• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help issues after update to andriod 5.0

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    We need a lot more info to help you out:
    • What phone/tablet/device is this?
    • What carrier?
    • What version of Android were you on prior to Android 5.0 and what method did you use to update it?
    • Can you share screenshots?
    • Why do you need to create a Google Account, shouldn't you just be signing on with the account you used prior to the upgrade?
    As many details as possible would be helpful... the universe of possibilities is just too large to start providing an answer or suggestion.

I have updated to andriod 5.0 and then everything related to google dosent open or simply gets crashed.
    i cannot create a google account.. i cannot open system updates to check for further updates.. cannot open google play... i have seen many giving an option for factory settings.. but the problem with me is that my mobile cannot connect to PC for data transfer nor the bluetooth works.. nothing is happening basically... pls help if anyone can.. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
    Upvote 0
    I'm using nexus 4,
    before updating to andriod 5.0 i had 4.4.6 kitkat
    after the update i was checking all the apps. and when i opened google play it showed that i was logged in through my gmail account but says that authentication is required and u need to sign in... so after many diferent attempts i deleted my gmail account.. thinking that i can create an account later.. but when i clicked on create gmail account it just wont open..

Upvote 0
    Welcome to AndroidForums.com su0312. Seems our new forum tools don't work like the old ones as I tried reassigning your guest post to your new username. I'm going to move this to the Nexus 4 forum where other device owners can lend a hand. It may be as simple as a factory reset and starting from scratch.

Mod note for members, Post #2 is the original OP.:oops:

Upvote 0
    Hello,
    I'm using nexus 4 - before updating to andriod 5.0 I had 4.4.4 kitkat. I got a notification that system update to 5.0 is available so i just simply clicked the download and installed. Now I have started facing following problems:
    1) Phone Battery drains pretty faster than earlier.
    2) The Battery takes longer (probably twice the time than earlier) to charge.
    3) The "Gallery" option is gone. There is only Camera option. But I am not sure whether all the pics/images are moved and combined into the "Camera" .. Earlier, in the "Gallery", there used to be different folders (like Camera, WhattsApp, Viber etc) where the images associated to the respective apps were stored in those folders in the "Gallery". But now, even though I know that certain image/pic was in say for example, received/sent via "Viber", I don't know where to find it.
    Above are the only issues I found so far and not sure whether there are still other issues which I am unaware of.....
    I upgraded it to Android 5.0 just a couple of days ago.
    Any guidelines for downgrading Nexus-4 from Android version 5.0 to 4.4.4?
    Thanks and Awaiting for the reply.
    --Pancham.

Upvote 0
    Any guidelines for downgrading Nexus-4 from Android version 5.0 to 4.4.4?
    Thanks and Awaiting for the reply.
    --Pancham.

If you want to revert to Kitkat, you'll need to flash a factory image which will wipe your phone back to factory status. And, you'll start getting the update to 5.0 notices again.

A couple of things about your issues. The battery drain and charging problems are most likely from something stuck in the Dalvik cache that didn't get cleared. Android 5 moved from Dalvik to ART which is a major platform change. The gallery was removed from 5.0. It was replaced with Photos. If you want something that is more gallery-like try QuickPic .

What I suggest is that you backup all your files and media and perform a factory reset. You'll still be on 5.0, but I think your battery problems will be fixed.

Upvote 0
    The background in my application menu (aka app drawer) is black, like yours. AFAIK that's as it should be.

The Gallery app has been replaced. Nothing wrong there.

No, i think it should be white. You can check in youtube, or here is a pics:

Attachments

• apps-pages.jpg
      apps-pages.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 92
    Upvote 0
    Yes, i'm using the stock google now launcher. The google search bar is white, the settings menu is also white (it was black before). So everything is good (in color) exept the app drawer (application menu).
    And the animation is hasn't changed (one more problem), is still the same. It should look like here in this video:

Upvote 0
    Have you seen the youtube video? :) Because it's white there. But if you don't believe me, you can find a lot of pictures and videos on the internet.

And here is somebody who wrote this:

"The app drawer is still the same black-background and same rising, fade-in animation as it was on Android 4.x but all the screen shots I see online show a new app drawer with a white background and a side-to-side slide animation."

Upvote 0
    Have you seen the youtube video? :) Because it's white there. But if you don't believe me, you can find a lot of pictures and videos on the internet.

And here is somebody who wrote this:

"The app drawer is still the same black-background and same rising, fade-in animation as it was on Android 4.x but all the screen shots I see online show a new app drawer with a white background and a side-to-side slide animation."

Sure it is, because that's the default launcher. The white background with the different animations is the Google Now launcher. It's free in the play store and you have an option on first setup to install it, but if you bypass the choice, then you get the old default launcher and the option to install Google Now from the play store later. :D

Upvote 0
    Issues noticed were:
    1. Camera gets stuck after taking a snap. Have to close the application and relaunch

There is weird stuff going on with camera access in 5.0. Different then the old mm-qcamera-daemon problems, but still issues. Typically mine will fail when i try to start snapchat and it'll only come back after i close and reopen snapchat. It seems the way the issue manufessts itself is different for every person.

Upvote 0
    OK, I have some of the similar prolems here, but way more, and I haven't found a solution. Nexus 4, 5.0 Lollipop installed after update came in (I think it was 4.4.4 KitKat before). %.0.1 showed up on the top bar a couple times ut has disappeared since. Cannot update as it doesn't show up through About Phone =>
    1) The alarm no longer goes off (I can set it normally)
    2) Google Play no longer works, as with many other apps.
    3) I is no longer recognized by my computer to backup files (or I would have done a factory reset) but I want to get photos downloaded.
    4) In short, the only thing that works regularly is phone and internet.
    5) Google maps suddenly ate tons of data so it hit my limit in 1 day.

Any help would be appreciated, especially to download photos.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones