• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ISSUES!!! Home key button moves! Spen isnt easy to take out!

I have a Black AT&T variant and my home button is nice and tight with no movement ....but I can agree that the S pen is awkward getting it out ...maybe it'll loosen up from taking in out a lot ...but it's tight and doesn't have that nice little lip that you can grab like the Note 2 ....but the home button is perfectly fine on mine...thanks
Definitely, noticed the same thing too, they made some improvements to the pen, but taking it out is a huge pain. I'll use it even less than I have before because of that.

Upvote 0
I just came back from tmobile store and both the workers have the note 3 there i asked to look at them and yup sure enough there home key aswell is moving slightly then i looked at the working display they had in the store and same thing so i guess we have to deal with it no point in exchanging and get the same result.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I ended up getting my black one replaced and made sure I opened the new one infront of them and yep flimsy home button. I then asked for a refund and tried my luck with a white one at a different store. The home button is perfect on this white one I got, although I noticed a small chip on the chrome edges, so bottom line samsung really failed on the quality control of this phone. Not going to bother returning again because im sure they all have some minor defect=/ not something you expect from a very expensive premium phone.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I ended up getting my black one replaced and made sure I opened the new one infront of them and yep flimsy home button. I then asked for a refund and tried my luck with a white one at a different store. The home button is perfect on this white one I got, although I noticed a small chip on the chrome edges, so bottom line samsung really failed on the quality control of this phone. Not going to bother returning again because im sure they all have some minor defect=/ not something you expect from a very expensive premium phone.
Yup why i didnt even bother to exchange again i already did 3x samsung really screwed up this time!

Upvote 0
Yup why i didnt even bother to exchange again i already did 3x samsung really screwed up this time!

Mines so bad every time I press it, it issues a command like it's supposed to.

Even worse when I don't touch it, it doesn't move.

To ad insult to injury according to Samsung it's the Home button. Every time I press it to go home, that's exactly what it does.

It's so predictable it's no fun.

This is the first smartphone I can't complain about, how bad is that ...

Anyone OCD much?

The button works, it's not supposed to fit with the precision of a handmade $80,000 (yes they make 80k models) watch. It's not rattling, it's not perfect, but show me a smartphone that is. There isn't one.

I have a new Galaxy S4 & my Galaxy Note 3, the button on the S4 is a bit closer fitting. Yet five of us at work that all bought Note 3's compared buttons after reading about them here in the forums. I have a jewelers loupe, looking very closely here's what I see: the opening in the case for the button is a slight bit larger than the button hole for the S4.

There's no question in my mind this was done purposely to allow a little more clearance to prevent the button from sticking should some debris build up in that area. Think about it, designed & built by skilled engineers they're likely to make improvements from one year to the next. This is one of them.

I happen to find my imperfect button much to my liking :D

Upvote 0
Mines so bad every time I press it, it issues a command like it's supposed to.

Even worse when I don't touch it, it doesn't move.

To ad insult to injury according to Samsung it's the Home button. Every time I press it to go home, that's exactly what it does.

It's so predictable it's no fun.

This is the first smartphone I can't complain about, how bad is that ...

Anyone OCD much?

The button works, it's not supposed to fit with the precision of a handmade $80,000 (yes they make 80k models) watch. It's not rattling, it's not perfect, but show me a smartphone that is. There isn't one.

I have a new Galaxy S4 & my Galaxy Note 3, the button on the S4 is a bit closer fitting. Yet five of us at work that all bought Note 3's compared buttons after reading about them here in the forums. I have a jewelers loupe, looking very closely here's what I see: the opening in the case for the button is a slight bit larger than the button hole for the S4.

There's no question in my mind this was done purposely to allow a little more clearance to prevent the button from sticking should some debris build up in that area. Think about it, designed & built by skilled engineers they're likely to make improvements from one year to the next. This is one of them.

I happen to find my imperfect button much to my liking :D
I get what your saying and yes i noticed the button is a slight bit larger than the button hole for the S4 but still it shouldnt be moving at all no matter what and this phone for $708 should be flawless not having to exchange it 3 damn times to find a flaw on everyone!

Upvote 0
Anyone OCD much?

The button works, it's not supposed to fit with the precision of a handmade $80,000 (yes they make 80k models) watch.

Sorry, that crosses the line into fanboi blather. It's an obvious flaw, yes it should fit just as tight as that $80k watch (how many of those do you think sell in the tens of millions of units?), and nobody specifically designs gaps to allow more debris to build up. That's absurd.

It's completely understandable that someone who just plunked their $700 down on the best phone currently in existence would want some reassurance that the buttons won't start falling off within days or weeks.

Reactions: Droid4g27
Upvote 0
I get what your saying and yes i noticed the button is a slight bit larger than the button hole for the S4 but still it shouldnt be moving at all no matter what and this phone for $708 should be flawless not having to exchange it 3 damn times to find a flaw on everyone!
Perhaps you've missed the fact that if they're all like that it's supposed to be that way.
Sorry, that crosses the line into fanboi blather. It's an obvious flaw, yes it should fit just as tight as that $80k watch (how many of those do you think sell in the tens of millions of units?), and nobody specifically designs gaps to allow more debris to build up. That's absurd.

It's completely understandable that someone who just plunked their $700 down on the best phone currently in existence would want some reassurance that the buttons won't start falling off within days or weeks.
Both of you bring up price. That's irrelevant, unless you can't afford it.

If you're looking for perfection there's no smartphone to meet you're needs. You could get a free feature phone from any carrier. Then when you find it's faults you have no right to complain because it was free. That's a thought for you.

Upvote 0
Perhaps you've missed the fact that if they're all like that it's supposed to be that way.

Say what? They're not all like that. Some are perfect and others aren't. We're trying to identify some pattern to maximize the chances we can buy a good one and not have to keep going through the headache of swapping phones or finally giving up.

Both of you bring up price. That's irrelevant, unless you can't afford it.

Since when wouldn't you expect the best and most expensive model to be high quality? If I'm a billionaire, I'll still be annoyed if pieces start falling off my Lamborghini. :(

If you're looking for perfection theirs no smartphone to meet you're needs. You could get a free feature phone from any carrier. Then when you find it's faults you have no right to complain because it was free. That's a thought for you.

I don't understand your stalwart defense of this flaw. I'm a huge fan of this phone -- it has a loooong laundry list of the features I want most -- but it won't work for me if the buttons stop working.

Upvote 0
I'm not here to argue, nor am I defending a flaw. But it's not a flaw, I've seen five others at work, mine makes it six.

If you must have perfection, you may never find it. If you do, it won't last for long that's just simple reality. Perfectionists can be very unhappy people.

Just sayin :)

Hmm that is weird as mine is nice and snug.......not sure if yours is on purpose........but that does seem like a lot of devices being affected.

If mine were loose I would not be happy about it that is for sure.

Upvote 0
Hmm that is weird as mine is nice and snug.......not sure if yours is on purpose........but that does seem like a lot of devices being affected.

If mine were loose I would not be happy about it that is for sure.

But mines not loose that's the point. It simply has room to move, if you force it you can move it a bit, but the way it moves is not like that gif leads one to believe. It doesn't rattle or act loose. If it did I'd be the first one to return it.

Upvote 0
I'm not here to argue, nor am I defending a flaw. But it's not a flaw, I've seen five others at work, mine makes it six.

If you must have perfection, you may never find it. If you do, it won't last for long that's just simple reality. Perfectionists can be very unhappy people.

Just sayin :)
were all these six workers with the same home button issue or flaws have the black one or white?

Upvote 0
But mines not loose that's the point. It simply has room to move, if you force it you can move it a bit, but the way it moves is not like that gif leads one to believe. It doesn't rattle or act loose. If it did I'd be the first one to return it.

Ok then that is still weird as mine will not even wiggle, not sure how I would feel if it wiggle around like that.

If it is not at all like the gif then as long as it feels secure and not pop out, then that is a different story, I guess.

Upvote 0
Sorry to get somewhat off topic but: Archon810 posted a .gif that showed the button moving. I can view the gif moving when using my iPhone to view this forum, but on my Note 3 the image is still it doesn't move!!!! Any ideas why?

What browser are you using?I use chrome and I have no issues seeing it on my note 3.

Upvote 0

Lol that gif isn't an exaggeration so don't go saying every single button is meant to be like that obviously some less severe than others. That wiggle room is totally unacceptable for any device. It spends most of its time resting in a crooked position, who would want that? I think you are refusing to accept Samsung is indeed fallible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones