1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Issues using non-Verizon SIM in VS987. Help?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mr December, May 1, 2017.

1. Mr December

Mr December Lurker

I'm trying to use a T-Mobile sim in a VS987 and I constantly get the following error message in my notifications: "Sim card is not from verizon wireless"

To make matters worse, every single time I open up a web browser the entire screen gets blurred and I'm hit with the error message: "No internet connection - please contact customer service at (800) 922-0204."

My mobile data works, and having to see that message every single time I open a web browser is very frustrating. I getting help from a few Verizon reps and the last one was such an asshole. When I didn't want to come back to Verizon he was pretty much like "there's nothing I can do", was incredibly aloof, and rude-toned.

Does anyone know how to get around this? All help would be appreciated. I just purchased this phone little over a month ago and I regret it so much that I cannot return it.

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sounds like it's very heavily customized for Verizon. Think you'd need to change the firmware, if that's possible on this version G5. Our G5 forum may have more information.

Sorry can't be anymore help, as I don't know too much about LG phones.

3. Mr December

Mr December Lurker

Sadly the VS987 can't be rooted. I will never buy a phone in the future that cannot be rooted.

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Verizon has been known to do this with some of their phones.

The government requires Verizon phones to be SIM unlocked, they add stuff like this to make using some of their phones on a different carrier difficult.

mikedt and lunatic59 like this.
  5. Mr December

Mr December Lurker

This is incredibly annoying, I will never buy another Verizon phone. I thought they were a good way to buy unlocked phones, but never again.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

It's definitely something to be very aware of when looking to buy "unlocked" carrier version devices that are NOT for your own carrier's SIM, especially when you apparently can't do anything about it, like changing the ROM. Never had to deal with it myself much, because it doesn't happen here now. And fact I think the last time I bought an unlocked carrier version phone was a T-Mobile version Sony Ericsson K700, in 2004! in the UK.

#6 mikedt, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. wuyiL

wuyiL Member

If I were you, I would like to get an H830 from eBay or Swappa and sell this VS987.

LG G5 Forum

The LG G5 release date was April 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.3" inch screen, 16MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 820 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2016
Release Date
Reviews