1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Issues with Contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mlycan, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mlycan

mlycan Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2012
    I bought the Note 2 from a Radio shack and they successfully transferred all contacts over from my old phone. I just noticed that all the contacts that were transferred are saved to phone rather than saved on SIM card. All of the new contacts i add are saved to SIM card by default. My issue is that i am trying to set up a new GROUP using new contacts i just added. But, when i am trying to add contacts within the group, the only contacts that show up were those that were transferred and are saved to phone. None of the new contacts which have been saved to SIM card are visible to add to group (even though they are all visible when i access the master contact list, just not from within this group of contacts to add....) Hope that makes sense....very frustrating. No idea what to do

Advertisement

2. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Male
    occupied
    Planet Earth
    This is normal. Group assignment is part of contact, but contacts saved to SIM card contain just name and one phonenumber (this is limitation from 90's), all other fields (postal address, email address, fax number, group, probably also custom ringtone) can be defined just for phone or Google contacts. To be able to assign contacts to group you have to copy them to phone (Contacts, Settings, Import/Export, Import from SIM card).

mlycan likes this.
  3. mlycan

mlycan Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2012
    Thank you!! I always thought it best to save contacts to SIM card so they'd be more portable....i see an option to copy all contacts from phone to SIM card too, would you recommend this too so they are on both?

4. R4nd0mJ0k3r

R4nd0mJ0k3r Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Male
    Sales Team Leader / Web Developer @ Maplin Electro
    Liverpool, England, UK
    Just save all your contacts to your Google account (this also saves them to the device, you don't need 3g/wifi to access the list).

This way, they are always available online if you don't have your phone with you. They are saved to the cloud for if your data/phone is lost/stolen. And when you get a new Android phone in the future (Far away future... possibly containing the Note 3....?) as soon as you log into your Google account, all your contacts sync instantly.