1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support issues with galaxy s

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by joe sando, May 10, 2012.

1. joe sando

joe sando Member
    None

Jan 9, 2011
    Security controller
    benchill
    hi guys i hope i'm posting in correct place
    anyway i have a galaxy s in uk on vermin network
    i have read that it is impossible to upgrade via kies and has to have a custom rom
    but on research i have found no threads where they have got this phone from froyo to gingerbread successfully
    nor have i found a foolproof guide for idiots to use?
    is my phone destined to stay the way it is i would like to unlock the phone to put a giffgaff payg sim in it
    the details of my phone are as follows
    Model Number GT-I9000
    Firmware version: 2.2.1
    Baseband version I9000XXJPW
    Kernel version 2.6.32.9
    ... Root@SEP-51 #1
    Build number FROYO.XXJPW

please somebody help as my head hurts

Advertisement

2. brotherswing

brotherswing Android Expert
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Male
    Full time Dad, cook
    In my living room.
    If you look here, you'll find complete lists of Roms including Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich. I hope this helps.

joe sando likes this.
  3. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Hi Joe,

It seems you have the dreaded JPW bug. I had the same problem when I got my Galaxy S from Virgin in the UK and found out that the reason it can't be updated via Kies is because Kies doesn't recognise that version of Android. The reason for this is that Virgin asked Samsung to write a Firmware specific to VM Galaxy S's which Samsung did but cocked it up by not putting it onto the servers. Anyway, history lesson out of the way there are two ways to get your phone updated and both are simple to do.

Be aware that what ever method you use you will probably have to re-download your apps again so make a note of what you've got for referrence. It's also wise to back up your pictures, music and videos before hand too.

The first way is to take your phone to your nearest Samsung Service centre where a tech guy will update it for you. The second way is to update the phone yourself using Odin and the latest firmware file/s.

The method I used to get myself out of this mess was to flash the phone myself as it literally takes less than 15 minutes to do.

All you need to do is download the software from the link below and unzip the folder. Then look for Odin and double click it.
    Now remove the battery from the phone and replace. Press and hold the Volume DOWN + Home + Power button (in that order) to put the phone into download mode. Connect the phone to your computer via USB. Odin will tell you the phone has been added in the dialogue box.

Now click where it says PDA and select the file you've just downloaded called "JW4_JW4_JW4.tar". Now click Start in Odin and let Odin do its stuff. When it's finished the phone will reboot but it will take a good few minutes for it reboot the first time, so don't start to panic like I did because it will reboot fine.

Once done, connect the phone to Kies and it will offer you another update to JW4-JW4-JW5. You can please yourself if you want that update or not but at least you will know that Kies now recognises your phone, at last.

This is the latest official ROM from Samsung and will have the version number 2.3.6 Gingerbread. It also contains the value pack and TouchWiz 4 as found on the Galaxy S II. There is one minor glitch though, there is no Daily Briefing in this version but I expect it to be re-added in a future update.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30612400/Samsung-Updates.com-GT-I9000_XEU_1_20120321140453_udbxvq6it9.zip

All the best.

Ray.

joe sando likes this.
  4. joe sando

joe sando Member
    None

Jan 9, 2011
    Security controller
    benchill
    cheers ray will give it a go tonight

5. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    O.K. Let me know how you get on or if you need any questions answering.

Ray.

6. joe sando

joe sando Member
    None

Jan 9, 2011
    Security controller
    benchill
    ray got the phone into download state got odin up soon as i try to add the file when click on the pda button go to the folder that i unrared the jpw files to and it says no file in there thats compatable even tho there are a few files ?

7. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Strange. So when you click PDA and navigate to the unzipped Samsung-Update.com folder you're not able to select the JW4_JW4_JW4.tar file?

I've just tried it on my PC and the file was selectable as per the instructions I originally wrote.

You may have accidentally clicked on the button marked PIT which would give you this problem of no compatible file.

Ray.

8. joe sando

joe sando Member
    None

Jan 9, 2011
    Security controller
    benchill
    Ray i unrared the jpw file so this time i left it started odin and it found the un rared file will report back once done its been ten minutes and nowt so far the message box says set up connection tho

9. joe sando

joe sando Member
    None

Jan 9, 2011
    Security controller
    benchill
    Cheers ray it worked a treat do i take it that if i download a custom rom and use the same procedure it would work?

10. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Cool, glad it worked for you.
    Custom ROM's can be installed in a similar way but more often than not they are installed from a ZIP folder on the internal SD card.

To do this you will need to root the phone first then put the custom ROM ZIP onto your phones internal SD then go into recovery mode and install the ROM from there.

To root your phone all you need to do is go into Download mode again and flash a root Kernal to your phone using the Odin software. It literally takes around 30 seconds to do. If you're interested you can follow the exact step by step instructions below and you can download the root Kernal from the link at the bottom of this post.

Put the phone into download mode (you already know how to do this).
    Launch Odin on your PC.
    Connect your phone to your PC via USB.
    Click on PDA and select the CF-Root file from the file you have downloaded and un-zipped from the link below.
    Click start and let Odin do its thing.
    When the phone re-boots (once again, it will take a bit longer than usual) you will have a few more apps added. You will have Superuser, CWM and Tweaks. Superuser is needed to give certain apps root access to Android. CWM allows you to perform a full system back-up of the entire phone (apps included) and a full restore should the need arrise. Tweaks allows you to modify system settings that are not available to non-rooted phones. You will also have ClockWorkMod recovery on your phone which is necessary in order to install ZIP files as mentioned above. To go into recovery mode you can do it via the CWM app or follow the same procedure as Download mode but replace Volume Down with Volume Up.
    Rooting also allows you to install and run certain applications from the Play Store that requires root access.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30612400/CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.zip

All the best.

Ray.

joe sando likes this.
  11. User_Android

User_Android Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Hello, everyone!

I am writing in this thread, maybe my problem is not related to it, but i will let the moderators to decide.

My problems with the device is that in occasional time, when i take photos, after reviewing the images, several picture taken a time before, now are damaged. For instance, when i preview an old taken picture that before it was fine, now it looks like a collage from several others in one.... i hope here you can understand me what i am talking about.

The exact scenario is if i take a "fresh" photo, which is supposed to be like minutes ago and if i am lucky enough and if the picture is not important - it will be remain undamaged, but on some random principle the pictures get damaged and that is very nervous, especially if the image is important to me.

The problem also exist if i decide to make a non-index directory, where i can keep all my files invisible for standard gallery preview.

Do you guys experienced this problem with your Galaxy S, or maybe even with other Android phone?

Please give me suggestions what to to.

Thanks!