1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Issues with static, crackles, pops, and squeals during calls

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jjjmmmhhh, Oct 5, 2013.

1. jjjmmmhhh

jjjmmmhhh Lurker

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm on my 3rd G2, with 3 different sim cards, from two different Verizon locations, and they've all done this. I've been able to demonstrate it for Verizon store personnel and other people. The issue does not occur when I switch back to my old cell phone. Oh, on a store manager's suggestion, I've also tried going in to Settings --> Tethering & Networks --> Mobile Networks --> System Select --> Network mode --> and toggled through those options.

I'm hoping others will comment if they're having a similar issue so maybe Verizon/LG will look in to it.

Thanks!

P.S. I'll be posting on a few other boards. Apologies in advance for the dupes!

Advertisement

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

Hello and welcome to the forums . I see your having trouble with the new g2 android device. Did you do a factory reset this will kill all open apps and if this dont work check the headphone jack . Dont stick anything into the whole just the jack for the headphone push all the way in . Leave in for 2minutes and remove very careful .now is the noise still present

3. jjjmmmhhh

jjjmmmhhh Lurker

Hi, Thanks for the reply =)

It happened on all 3 phones out of the box right after activation; no need for a factory reset at that point. I've gotten some feedback on another forum that this is not an isolated incident.

4. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

Ok well what is wrong with it they gave you back the same device each time u return . What was the problem with it

5. jjjmmmhhh

jjjmmmhhh Lurker

No, it really has been three different phones with the same issue: static, crackles, etc., during calls. I can hear it but my caller cannot.

6. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

That's very strange. Is it only in certain areas/towers maybe? Something that's not playing nicely? Does it happen with just the phone speaker? Headphones or speakerphone make any difference? I had once where mine had a TINY bit of feedback after my gf would say something on the other end, just at the end of her words. But as soon a I dipped the volume a notch it was fine, and it was only one call. To have it happen to three different phones at the same time, I dunno. What is your old phone? Another 4G? It seems like possibly network related, but it's just a very weird one to be isolated in that regard.

7. jjjmmmhhh

jjjmmmhhh Lurker

I went through the song and dance with Verizon networking and they say it's nothing on their end (and I agree or my old phone, which I went back to for a day while I had them ship a G2 from elsewhere, would have had the same issue). The issue has occurred on multiple towers (even from within the Verizon store and calling the store or Vzw corporate) and it does not matter whether I'm talking to someone on a landline, AT&T, Verizon, or MetroPCS. It happens on every single call <sigh>. I have a 30 mile commute to work so I hit quite a few towers every day.

My old phone is also 4G.

I've tried lowering the volume and I also found a setting for noise cancellation but that didn't fix it, either.

I've not tried headphones and frankly, wasn't going to as I really dislike them but it occurs to me that, if it works, it might make longer convos almost bearable. I love the "smart" part of this phone; hate the "phone" part of it.

8. Ken7

Ken7 Android Expert

I'd say the issue is still on Verizon's network. Since the overwhelming majority of us have no such issues, it seems isolated to your area and the towers you're accessing. Yes, your area doesn't have issues with your old phone, but there's some compatibility issue with the G2 and those few towers. I think Verizon needs to research what their problem is.

Certainly if this were a common network problem, there would be tons of people screaming...and there aren't. There are a few, granted, but they are the minority which leads me to believe certain towers are just not communicating properly with the new G2.

9. jjjmmmhhh

jjjmmmhhh Lurker

@Ken7...

Hmm... there is one Verizon store employee at my local store who bought a G2 and went on vacation the day after so I never met him. I'll have to see if he's back and ask him if he's experiencing the same thing since we'd be using the same towers. Thanks for the thought!

10. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

Obvious question..? But have you taken the 11A OTA? audio issues during calls were the main fix..

11. jjjmmmhhh

jjjmmmhhh Lurker

Yes, on all 3 phones.

12. NashMob68

NashMob68 Newbie

jjjmmmhhh, have you found a solution to this problem? I am on my second G2. Would like to keep it but the call quality is too bad.

13. DILands

DILands Android Expert

Nashmob - are you on VZW also?

14. NashMob68

NashMob68 Newbie

Yes, Verizon. My wife's Razr M she just got works great as did my Bionic.

15. NashMob68

NashMob68 Newbie

And actually, the second G2 works worse than the first. Drops 4 out of 5 calls.

LG G2 Forum

The LG G2 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews
Tags: