• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issues with updated Facebook app

BradHP

Jun 11, 2010
I turned my phone on right around 7AM this morning with 100% battery. Got the notice that an update was available for the Facebook app, installed that and did nothing else with my phone. Screen off and in my pocket.

Got to work, next time I turned my screen on around 8:15 I saw that my battery was already at 81%! Checked status and my up time and awake time were the same.

Only change I made was the Facebook app, so went to my accounts and synch settings. There were two FB listings in there, one normal and one for Sense. The Sense one had options to change synch, the plain FB didn't have any options to change.

Deleted Facebook and everything is working fine now, phones going to sleep when it should. So looks like something is messed up with the Facebook app newest update.

I noticed the same thing. Uptime and awake time were identical after the new facebook app was installed. Frankly, the update is nice, but it doesn't bring enough to the table to not allow the phone to sleep.

Note: I turned off all syncing functionality in the app and it still kept the phone awake.

Upvote 0
I noticed the same problem. I uninstalled the new update and went back to using the stock facebook app until this gets fixed. Now my battery is behaving like I'm used to with the old (1.2) facebook app. Hopefully facebook with solve this problem soon as I liked the new app.

In case someone doesn't know how to to this here are the steps: Go to settings->applications->manage applications->facebook and hit the "uninstall update" at the top.

Upvote 0
Thought this was interesting. Here we go again!

Many of you have been expressing some frustrations over battery life throughout the last couple of days after manually updating to Android 2.2 on your Droid. Some even claimed that this could be one of the reasons for a rumored halt of the OTA update from Verizon, but with some news discovered today from Geek For Me, it could be something else that we all overlooked and may not be Froyo after all.
Remember that Facebook overhaul that happened on the exact same day that you all updated? Yep, the one which took FB on Android into the land of the pretties? It appears as if this may be the culprit behind our battery woes.
Apparently the new update includes a

Upvote 0
I just reverted back to the old version to see if that will help. I had hard reset yesterday and couldn't figure out why my battery life was still bad. Hoping this fixes it for a while.

FYI if anyone reverts back, make sure you uncheck the automatic update in the market downloads. I reverted and it automatically updated it. LOL

Upvote 0
Looks like they are aware of this issue. Good news!

Facebook for Android Hi folks, a number of you have commented on seeing a battery drain on your device since installing the new Facebook for Android app. We have identified the bug that is causing this battery drain and are working on a fix now. As soon as the patch is ready, we will push out an update. Thanks for the quick feedback and for your patience as we get this fixed

Reactions: Barats
Upvote 0
I noticed that the new FB app registers itself as a service and continues to run. I use a task killer and FB is ALWAYS in the list even immediately after I kill it. Saying bye-bye to this app until a patch is released.

I killed the service under running services and it seems to stay dead (until a bounce or application restart of course)

Upvote 0
What is this now? I never got any request to update my facebook app recently, but I did download the new Android 2.2 update. I noticed that the Facebook app now has some slight changes, but I don't know if this is the same update you guys are talking about.

When I go to Accounts & Sync I only see the Facebook for HTC Sense listed (it syncs every 4 hours just like it did before the upgrade to Froyo), and it does still allow me to control the settings. When I go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Facebook, there is no option to "uninstall update" anywhere on that page. It lists my app as version 1.2.

However I did notice that after unplugging my phone (fully charged 3 hours ago) I'm now around 60% battery life (they disabled *#*#4636#*#* so I don't know the exact level)! Is this caused by some changes to the Facebook app?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my phone has been in my pocket (unused) for the past 3 hours and that my up time and awake time are definitely different values. I don't have anything turned on except bluetooth, but I had that on 100% of the time prior to the 2.2 update and easily lasted 2 days on a single charge.

Upvote 0
Looks like the app has just been updated. :)

Facebook for Android Hi folks, we just released an updated version of the Facebook for Android app (version 1.3.1) that includes a fix for the battery drain problem some of you were running into. The app is now available in Android Market. You may need to wait a little bit for Android Market to send out the update notification. Thanks for all the quick feedback and thanks for your patience as we got this bug fixed!

Reactions: Joppie
Upvote 0
I have not seen this posted so I thought I would say something. On android police and android central facebook said that their last update had a flaw and was draining the battery bad. I went to uninstall it but saw there is another update so I went ahead and installed and will see what happens. Was wondering why my battery got worse. Maybe that is it. Hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones