1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support It happened, I lost my phone...

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by EvoVAlpha, Jun 3, 2016.

1. EvoVAlpha

EvoVAlpha Member
    None

Aug 27, 2012
    For ten minutes at least. Ten long minutes. Thankfully I didn't panic or have that feeling of dread, but I was still unhappy and anxious. It was at the supermarket and I kept going back and fourth to my car and the areas I was at in the store. Nothing of course.

Now in my head someone already had and walked off with it. Though I would rather have it destroyed, the never knowing part is what did me in. So I thought about the eraser app I have installed, which is okay but again, not guaranteed. Now because I keep my tech pretty tight, I wouldn't have lost that much and or had my whole life revealed. But whether it's a little or lot, I don't want any of that out in the wild.

Anyway with all that said, something I can imagine y'all being able to relate to, are there any good \ reliable security \ eraser apps out there that are either paid or free? I remember asking last year but hoping something changed for the better, as there wasn't a whole host of options, surprising as that is.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    I can only imagine the feeling! I haven't lost my device yet, but my wife has for a short period of time :(

I just rely on a password/pattern/fingerprint lockscreen and Android Device Manager.
    ADM can remotely wipe, ring, or locate the lost device.

I've heard others recommend Cerebus, but I've not used it ;)

3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
  4. EvoVAlpha

EvoVAlpha Member
    None

Aug 27, 2012
    @Mikestony - Well there's nothing like when you can describe that feeling as a short period, implying your wife did indeed find it to a great sigh of relief! Anyway I vaguely remember hearing a Cerebus as well as ADM, so will have to dig in deeper to be sure.

@svim - Cool, checking out your suggestions, some already mentioned, as soon as I'm done here... The open source one especially appeals to me... Thanks guys!

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Interesting. Long time Cerberus user, and so far happy with it. But the part where Prey for Windows apparently exists piqued my interest.

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Prey works out nicely for me as it can be a central source -- I can log into my Prey account on any browser to remote monitor not just my smartphone but also my laptop. They allow up to three devices for free.