• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Italian Dream in North America -- Firmware/Radio?

atrus

Lurker
Mar 9, 2010
I recently recieved an "HTC Dream" from Italy, branded for TIM, a mobile provider there. The box says A7177, and the label behind the battery says DREA200.

The problem is that I'm in Canada, and would like to use it with Wind Mobile, which requires HSDPA 1700/2100 (AWS) support. The Italian model seems to lack that. (The "HTC Dream" offered by Rogers, a DREA210, iirc, has the same issue).

What I'd like to know is:

1. Is the hardware actually identical between the North American and Italian versions?
  2. If I flash the device with HTC's stock firmware and radio images, will it be indistinguisable from a North American model, with HDSPA 1700/2100 (AWS) support?
  3. If something goes wrong, is there a way to revert to the Italian firmware? Would I have to download it somewhere, or extract it from the phone to be able to restore it? If it doesn't work, I'd like to be able to send it back to the retailer in original condition...

I've been having trouble googling for good information about this, and would appreciate any advice, information, pointers to things to read, or any help at all.

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones